Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I think not allowing the players to train is ridiculous. I didn't realise they did that with Toney. Sure, ban them from playing, but isolating them completely is counterproductive if you're dealing with somebody who has an addiction and a vice they routinely fulfill during their time off.

The problem with common sense in football.  Is that it isn't all that common.  

Cheers Geoff. 

If he's bet on Milan to win then it's hardly crime of the century like [emoji38]

Betting on taking a yellow and getting your mates to lump on it is completely different, and where big bans make sense.

I said it before but they could easily set up a facility that allows players to fairly and transparently bet on football, it's almost a meme at this point that prohibition is completely counter productive.

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

If he's bet on Milan to win then it's hardly crime of the century like [emoji38]

Betting on taking a yellow and getting your mates to lump on it is completely different, and where big bans make sense.

I said it before but they could easily set up a facility that allows players to fairly and transparently bet on football, it's almost a meme at this point that prohibition is completely counter productive.

It’s hardly a massive curb on their human rights to expect the dozy fuckers not to bet on a sport in which they are a professional.

Leaving yourself open to allegations of corrupt practice isn’t much better than actual corruption.  It brings the profession into disrepute 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

1 minute ago, chronicfc said:

Trippier was banned from football for 10 weeks for encouraging teammates to bet on him moving to Athletico. Definitely not as bad as betting on your own team results and that ban was worldwide. 

Is it? Tonali's appears to be betting on games he wasn't playing in. 

Trippier was giving knowledge to make friends money from the bookies. 

Just now, chronicfc said:

Trippier was banned from football for 10 weeks for encouraging teammates to bet on him moving to Athletico. Definitely not as bad as betting on your own team results and that ban was worldwide. 

It’s worse surely? It was gambling with inside knowledge. Trippier got away lightly I reckon.

7 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I have 2 questions:
- do we have some kind of insurance to cover when these things happen? I know we do for injuries, but suspect this type of thing is not insurable
- If he is out for 1 year, think we have a contract stipulation, that he doesn't get paid? or at least, reduced wages?

Think we will be well with in our rights to not pay him, but it will come down to those at the club to decide the best course of action.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s hardly a massive curb on their human rights to expect the dozy fuckers not to bet on a sport in which they are a professional.

Leaving yourself open to allegations of corrupt practice isn’t much better than actual corruption.  It brings the profession into disrepute 

How is a footballer betting on football bringing the profession into disrepute? If there's no evidence of match fixing on their part then these claims are daft.

He's broken the rules, but the rules are puritanical. He should be punished as the rules are clear like. There's just better ways to deal with it.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

10 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I have 2 questions:
- do we have some kind of insurance to cover when these things happen? I know we do for injuries, but suspect this type of thing is not insurable
- If he is out for 1 year, think we have a contract stipulation, that he doesn't get paid? or at least, reduced wages?

Not sure if it is in Tonali’s, but I remember Joey Barton whining that Ashley tried to get him to agree to a reduced contract while he behind bars.

Joey Barton - a man so lacking in self-awareness that he can actually make me sympathise with Mike Ashley.

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

How is a footballer betting on football bringing the profession into disrepute? If there's no evidence of match fixing on their part then these claims are daft.

He's broken the rules, but the rules are puritanical. He should be punished as the rules are clear like.

Yeah & if a footballer can’t bet on a game that isn’t match fixing/influencing an outcome of the game then don’t we ban football betting/advertising within the sport itself? 

The temptation to comment and make conclusions based on the speculation is immense but I just don't think we can until we know precisely what the fuck has happened. (I know I already have :lol: so am not trying to take the moral high ground)

Whatever happens, he's got a five year contract with us, he's a very talented player and he's got an exceptional coaching staff and dressing room to support him. Still every chance the story of Sandro Tonali at Newcastle turns out to be a good one. 

IF this is all true... I don't have any sympathy for the lad. I don't buy this "addiction" bollocks. He got caught... that's it. It's very convenient to pipe up with addiction bullshit when your bad behaviour gets found out.

As far as I'm concerned, IF this is all true, he's let everyone down massively and I think it'll be really hard to come back from that at NUFC. I'd be looking into all legal avenues of how we can take Milan to the cleaners to be honest.

Edited by Shadow Puppets

10 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

It’s worse surely? It was gambling with inside knowledge. Trippier got away lightly I reckon.

My view on things like the Trippier and Daniel Sturridge situations is that they are completely different to matters of sporting integrity on the field and frankly I don't even think they should be punishable.

If a player wants to tell his mate that he's moving to a club and his mate goes and sticks a grand on it, imo that's the bookies' problem for offering a market where inside knowledge is obviously going to happen because these are people's private lives. Where does it end? Is his wife allowed to hand her notice in or does she have to keep it quiet to suit William Hill? Is he allowed to tell his parents or does he have to do a runner in the night in case his dad puts a tenner on? What if his kid tells a mate at school? Quick, call the FA!

A bookie can open a market on whether a player is going to go for a piss but that doesn't compel him to hold it in. 

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He's broken the rules, but the rules are puritanical. He should be punished as the rules are clear like. There's just better ways to deal with it.

In my profession, allowing yourself to be in a position where your professional position ethics could be questioned is the same as having questionable ethics.

He’s gambling on a sport where he could be privy to insider knowledge - and if he bets on his own club, then it is insider knowledge.  Worse, he could be involved in match-fixing.  I’m aware that he hasn’t been accused of that, but he is open to a potential accusation.

The rules aren’t puritanical, they’re perfectly sensible.  Again, it’s hardly a big ask - don’t bet on football.  Most of us can live our entire lives not doing this. 

11 minutes ago, chronicfc said:

Honestly I think that's worse. It's basically using insider knowledge to allow your mates to defraud betting companies. Not that I have any sympathy with the companies.

Betting on your own team to win (if that's what it is), especially if you're not even involved, is a lesser act. Not that it should be allowed.

Just now, Wullie said:

My view on things like the Trippier and Daniel Sturbridge situations is that they are completely different to matters of sporting integrity on the field and frankly I don't even think they should be punishable.

If a player wants to tell his mate that he's moving to a club and his mate goes and sticks a grand on it, imo that's the bookies problem for offering a market where inside knowledge is obviously going to happen because these are people's private lives. Where does it end? Is his wife allowed to hand her notice in or does she have to keep it quiet to suit William Hill? Is he allowed to tell his parents or does he have to do a runner in the night in case his dad puts a tenner on? What if his kid tells a mate at school? Quick, call the FA!

A bookie can open a market on whether a player is going to go for a piss but that doesn't compel him to hold it in. 

The point where it got too far was the goalkeeper eating the pie on TV cos the Sun offered 7/1 that he'd do it. In that situation he either eats the pie and wins loads of people money or doesn't eat the pie and makes the newspaper/bookie a mint. He was aware of it so whichever he chooses he's technically "influencing the outcome" even if he sits and does nowt.

Totally agree with your post btw. 

If Milan indeed new this was coming, then what's the likelihood that Tonali knew too? 

And if Tonali knew, do we really want a player who (if the above is true) basically used us to take the punishment rather than Milan, essentially sabotaging us? 

I'm not saying this is true or my line of thought, it's just an angle I haven't seen many discuss..

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

The point where it got too far was the goalkeeper eating the pie on TV cos the Sun offered 7/1 that he'd do it. In that situation he either eats the pie and wins loads of people money or doesn't eat the pie and makes the newspaper/bookie a mint. He was aware of it so whichever he chooses he's technically "influencing the outcome" even if he sits and does nowt.

Totally agree with your post btw. 

Aye I was just searching out the link for exactly that, absolute joke.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41181979