Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Just now, UncleBingo said:

You think he should be on full pay for the next 10 months?

If them is the rules. In US sports you'd not collect a cent as a player and in fact the team would not be allowed to pay it.

I think he should be on full pay. 

If he is carrying debt due to gambling, he can recover it and get his finances on track which hopefully leads to a better mindset. Also suspending pay (if that has happened or not) may sour the relationship, paying him means we have supported him and hopefully we reap the rewards upon his return next season. 

I don't justify anything he's done, but damage limitation now. We want a happy, clear minded Tonali back for next season.  

Edited by NufcJ

Just now, NufcJ said:

I think he should be on full pay. 

If he is carrying debt due to gambling, he can recover it and get his finances on track which hopefully leads to a better mindset. Also suspending pay (if that has happened or not) may sour the relationship, paying him means we have supported him and hopefully we reap the rewards upon his return next season. 

If he's on full pay then you can kiss goodbye to any discipline in the club. How could you ever fine anyone for being late to training and not someone who through their own actions is suspended for the season? 

1 minute ago, UncleBingo said:

You think he should be on full pay for the next 10 months?

Providing reports are correct that he can train, you'd imagine he's still going to have to be coming in for full sessions and needing to continue integrating with the squad, he's not going to be sat at home picking up his wages for sod all.

Considering the minor dent it would make in the club's finances/FFP is it really worth risking possible demoralisation and ostracisation?

I'm not saying we should be throwing a pity party and treating him with kid gloves. But at the end of the day, he's still an expensive asset that we need to keep on side mentally for his return. We're likely damaging ourselves as much as the player by making an example of him for the sake of it.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Erm, yeah? 

It wouldn't work like that in most walks of life, not sure why footballers should be any different.

I find it obscence that he could trouser circa £6m in the next 10 months for nowt. Maybe that's just me?

39 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Have you thought about applying for a job scouting for the toon

Clearly have a better eye than Howe

You will be glad he’s banned 

In all seriousness I would rather have paid the £25m quoted for Scott McT. PL ready so no bedding in and can score goals at both club and international level. Probably have accepted half the wages of Tonali as well. Howe does seem to like him, so he still may arrive in January. 

Of course I'm not glad he's banned. 

1 minute ago, macphisto said:

If he's on full pay then you can kiss goodbye to any discipline in the club. How could you ever fine anyone for being late to training and not someone who through their own actions is suspended for the season? 

You can bet your bottom dollar that the club / owners will be watching him like a hawk with 55m invested and he will no doubt in no uncertain manner told what the upshots gonna if this all goes pearshaped

2 hours ago, Hhtoon said:

Look at how much Lascelles has improved just from training/coaching whilst not playing competitively.

Would be a huge deal if Tonali can continue training...

The carrot of being 1 or 2 injuries away from playing was there though. But aye it’s as good as we could have hoped for. 

4 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

It wouldn't work like that in most walks of life, not sure why footballers should be any different.

I find it obscence that he could trouser circa £6m in the next 10 months for nowt. Maybe that's just me?

I think you're slightly missing the bigger picture, but of course I can understand how some people have a differing opinion on this. I guess as I'm getting older I start to care more about people's wellbeing, as well as taking into account the long term investment we've made as a club. The lad has made a massive mistake, hopefully he'll be able to get help for his addiction and turn things around. I certainly don't think we as a club have a duty to make him suffer any more than he already is.

I'm sure a lot of people would love to sit back and get 10 months free pay whilst not being able to work, but I'm not certain peak footballers have that same mindset. He's got a lot of rebuilding to do now, both for club and country. He'll hardly be sat back rubbing his hands together purely because he's still getting paid.

On an aside, footballers are massively different to the majority of other occupations in many aspects of life. You must be able to see that, right?

Of course we are going to pay him, man. The club can't come out and say they are going to support him fully through his battle with addiction but then also not pay him his contract for 10 months [emoji38] 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Tonali will know if Milan knew surely ?

He must have been under investigation for some time, it wouldn't happen overnight. I would think that investigators would be obliged to inform Milan that one of their players was involved in illegal betting.

Who the fuck cares about whether he's being paid or not man :lol:

It's a gutter. While he hasn't exactly lit it up (although I feel like his performances haven't been nearly as bad as some folk have made out), our management obviously rate him and even if this wasn't going to be his best season ever, it feels like this is him going back to step 1.

Squad looking threadbare* out of nowhere. Le sigh.

*in the context of the CL-calibre, title-contender that we aspire to be

11 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I think you're slightly missing the bigger picture, but of course I can understand how some people have a differing opinion on this. I guess as I'm getting older I start to care more about people's wellbeing, as well as taking into account the long term investment we've made as a club. The lad has made a massive mistake, hopefully he'll be able to get help for his addiction and turn things around. I certainly don't think we as a club have a duty to make him suffer any more than he already is.

I'm sure a lot of people would love to sit back and get 10 months free pay whilst not being able to work, but I'm not certain peak footballers have that same mindset. He's got a lot of rebuilding to do now, both for club and country. He'll hardly be sat back rubbing his hands together purely because he's still getting paid.

On an aside, footballers are massively different to the majority of other occupations in many aspects of life. You must be able to see that, right?

I have some sympathy for his current predicament, but let's not paint him as the victim here.

What if he knew this was coming down the line and deliberately witheld information from Newcastle? 

If he had anything about himself he would volunteer to take a cut.

Edited by UncleBingo

2 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

I have some sympathy for his current predicament, but let's not paint him as the victim here.

What if he knew this was coming down the line and deliberately witheld information from Newcastle? 

I'm sure every contract has a general clause about breaching football laws/ criminal acts that prevents a player from playing. Guess work, but I could see a 50% cut in his wages. 

Lots of conjecture as normal in the murky world of football and very few answers. The one person we are sure who knew of his gambling problems was Tonali himself plus the people he used to place bets. Did Milan or the Italian authorities know about any of this before he was transferred? Did either Tonali or his agent declare anything to NUFC before he signed his contract.  Without knowing answers to these questions we have no idea if compensation, loss of wages, fines etc. is applicable. If Tonali didn't mention anything to NUFC before he signed his contract it is potentially null and void due to all kinds of breaches of employment law. 

The big issue is that we paid or are paying in installments 55m quid for someone who either lied, mislead or we knew but signed him anyhow.

The truth as always in football might never come out.

20 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

And maybe he will. We just don't know. But it's a bit different to this:

"I hope to god we're not paying him a penny during this period"

39 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

You can bet your bottom dollar that the club / owners will be watching him like a hawk with 55m invested and he will no doubt in no uncertain manner told what the upshots gonna if this all goes pearshaped

If you're insinuating that the owners are going to interfere with training ground business then that would be a very bad sign, because that is categorically Howe's domain. Thankfully it won't be. If anything it'll be the transfer committee who face greater scrutiny or inspection by the majority owners than Tonali. 

Even then I think - if there's going to be some form of action or pressure from the top decision-makers - it'll be geared towards pursuing Milan. They've absolutely had our trousers down, clearly, which I can't see the Chairman glumly accepting.