Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

So he is essentially banned for the season +2 games next, and he will be able to have a full pre-season playing in friendlies so will be match sharp for his return. That is great news really, all things considered.

18 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Best we could have hoped for but I’m just gutted for him.

I’d much prefer in these situations that there’s a hefty fine and then the player has to do all the rehabilitation and community service work. I don’t see why a ban from playing should be a punishment 

There has to be a ban otherwise where is the deterrent?

If it was just illegal gambling then I wouldn't agree with a football ban but he's bet on football games and games in which he's involved, it's a clear violation of the rules

3 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

Lets hope the illegal bookies who were threatening leg breaks to collect debts don't come after him for grassing them up..

GEORDIE MAFIA ASSEMBLE 

24 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Italian media still saying we have suspended his pay, pretty sure we can’t do that though ?

Why not? As I read it, it is an agreement reached with his lawyers and the club. We would probably have good standing to sue him otherwise, but this outcome is a lot nicer for both us and him. Similar to how Chelsea sued Mutu for the coke ban, it was for a lot more than just his wages they sued and he was found liable.

32 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Italian media still saying we have suspended his pay, pretty sure we can’t do that though ?

After the likes of Greenwood you'd guess most contracts would contain clauses to protect the club should the player be banned for off field activities.

19 minutes ago, 54 said:

"collaborated beyond belief" amuses me for some reason :lol:

:lol: Immediately gave me horrifying images of Donald Trump involved in the proceedings. Sandro was the biggest collaborator. The best.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Are people seriously thinking we shouldn't pay his wages, regardless? Do we actually not give a flying fuck about his wellbeing now then?

I don't think there anything wrong in suspending pay when you have done a criminal act, which results in your being banned from your work for a period, and your employer lost part of a huge investment as a result. We can support him and still fine him, similar to how all other fines giving by clubs does not mean they do not still support or believe in their players.

I am sure he is still not in any financial troubles :D If he needs money for rent/food, we should help him for sure.

10 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Am I wrong in thinking his ban ends ready for first game next season? Seems overly officious if he can’t start next season a fresh.

Returns 24th August so likely to miss first 2/3 games 

1 minute ago, UncleBingo said:

What an idiot. 

I hope to god we're not paying him a penny during this period, and look at all legal routes with Milan, who surely must have known something?

FFS man :lol: I guarantee that the club will handle this 1000 times better than certain fans wish to, thankfully.

Think our background checks on potential signings may be even more thorough after this.

What a fucking idiot. Addictions frequently come back, so we can't say for sure this is the end of the matter.

I haven't really paid much attention to this tbh so unsure if him/his agent/Milan were likely to know this was coming. If they did, fuck them all as they've fucked us good.

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

FFS man :lol: I guarantee that the club will handle this 1000 times better than certain fans wish to, thankfully.

Are you really a fan if you don't want him terminated?

24 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

There has to be a ban otherwise where is the deterrent?

If it was just illegal gambling then I wouldn't agree with a football ban but he's bet on football games and games in which he's involved, it's a clear violation of the rules

I accept the point. Do we actually know if he bet on games with his involvement though? A 10 game ban would seem more than enough to me for a first offence