NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Based on this Barnes basically only scores goals. Obviously a valuable skill but I’m a bit concerned about his overall play. Assist stats seem massively misleading too, he has 25 assists in the PL but his xA is only 15 so he’s been passing to some impressive finishers.

IMG_0011.jpeg

Edited by Pata

Am starting to think we may well be done in terms of major signings.

In attack we were great last season, at the back even better and we were pretty good in midfield too.. that’s now been elevated which is going to have a knock on effect of raising the game of everyone on the pitch.

Why dismantle and change up a side that have gelled pretty well up front. If ASM is staying, we need backup for him, not someone new to take his place.

For what it’s worth, I think we start Tonali, Bruno & Longstaff in midfield and play Joelinton forward left. Gordon/Miggy forward right and Isak and Wilson to battle it out for the starting spot. They could get 20 goals each potentially.

We’re in bloody good shape like.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

In attack we were great last season, at the back even better and we were pretty good in midfield too.. that’s now been elevated which is going to have a knock on effect of raising the game of everyone on the pitch.

Why dismantle and change up a side that have gelled pretty well up front. If ASM is staying, we need backup for him, not someone new to take his place.

For what it’s worth, I think we start Tonali, Bruno & Longstaff in midfield and play Joelinton forward left. Gordon/Miggy forward right and Isak and Wilson to battle it out for the starting spot. They could get 20 goals each potentially.

fucked at the back with an injury or two.

only targett is quality back up, otherwise we;re seriously lacking cover

25 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Juat about to say the same thing.  We've got a while to bring players in.

Amazing how a couple of years changes the context of that exact sentence.

Barnes stats look impressive but still strange to be spending 40 on a wide left player, especially after signing Gordon in January.

After being linked with an intelligent footballer with great vision, to go down the route of a head down merchant wouldn’t solve the problem of breaking down stubborn defences.

Hoping it’s a smokescreen and we’ve got someone else lined up.

4 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

Should start using ASM on the right.

28 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Barnes stats look impressive but still strange to be spending 40 on a wide left player, especially after signing Gordon in January.

Please, no Harvey Barnes, and certainly not with that price. He can't go past a player, and when we are playing more and more against a low block, we really do not need a player like him. He fits perfectly to somewhere like West Ham where he can use his speed in transitions.

Barnes had 0,9 succsesful take-ons per game last season. ASM had 4,5.  I would say Barnes was an option for Gordon, but after January we should not be after left winger anymore. We need a left footed right winger, but someone who is better at his right foot than Almiron, who is too scared to use his right. Using Saint-Maximin on the right messes up the whole right side, because he cannot play combinations.

Edited by KingArthur

9 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Even if top 5 qualify for UCL next season, it will be more difficult than getting 4th last season IMO. Chelsea and Liverpool will most likely bounce back with their new signings/coach, and they won’t collapse like they did last season. Arsenal isn’t fucking around either, them getting 2nd last season wasn’t a one season thing.

City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U, and Arsenal all have amazing coaches and elite squads. In order to increase our odds to qualify next season, we have to sign at least one or two top targets/1st team players and one decent backup. IMO, our coach is on the same level as those in the other top 5 clubs, but we need upgrades in a few positions to at least have a squad that is objectively in the same level as the others.

RW, LW, and LB all need a 1st team upgrade, as they are clearly our weakest points IMO when it comes to creating scoring opportunities (here I assumed ASM to be injured for at least a few critical games). Of course, we won’t be able to do all of them in this window, so I am hoping for at least one of them to be done. 

Edited by Solitude20

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Player valuations nowadays make squad building such a challenge. It’s a miracle we’ve achieved what we have so far given FFP. 

I'd have zero issues with this if FFP wasn't a thing

1 minute ago, JP said:

Does everyone believe we actually are in for Barnes?

I don’t believe any source or rumour. Club is running on a much more professional level now, and has given the cold shoulder to all journos. Tonali & Livramento…..nobody had a clue. I’d expect the same on our next target. It will be a new name as of yet not mentioned.