NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I think the difference is that Brighton have invested in that area on players where as we have only really signed Minteh for any sort of transfer fee, who is then loaned out to develop to either come back in at a later date or not. That doesn’t mean the Irish lads or Kuol won’t make it but the idea behind Ashworth was copying Brighton to some extent, acknowledging that we can’t keep going out and buying ready made star players window after window.

I’m surprised at how little we have invested so far in development players to go out on loan.

The main difference is that our first team squad is (or was) so far away from where we want it to be that we have to focus investment in that area. Once the main squad is about set we'll start to see more of those Minteh/Brighton-style signings.

3 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

The main difference is that our first team squad is (or was) so far away from where we want it to be that we have to focus investment in that area. Once the main squad is about set we'll start to see more of those Minteh/Brighton-style signings.

I get that but I’m sure it was Ashworth who said there was different funds for different groups of players.

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I get that but I’m sure it was Ashworth who said there was different funds for different groups of players.

Yeah Ive seen the same, but it all counts towards FFP and I imagine it's currently very heavily weighted towards the first team pot.

1 minute ago, Sima said:

The more prominent shift to a CB.  A lot louder noises than there were earlier in the summer.

Because we have the midfielder, wide forward and right back we were after. 

We’ve been linked with getting in a CB all windows and it always seemed like it was going to happen at the end be once we got our other business done. Regardless of Schar's injury. 

32 minutes ago, madras said:

Because we have the midfielder, wide forward and right back we were after. 

Possibly, but I'm not too keen on Chalobah.  He's a cast-off from another team and it looks to be a bit of panic buying.

37 minutes ago, Sima said:

This tells me Schar's injury is worse than feared.

Schar's age is probably the bigger factor, similar to Trippier. It would absolutely make sense to have one eye on the future, and if we can get some pace as an option in the CB area, all the better.

2 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

When did Brighton become Brighton and start making Brighton-type signings? 

They came up the same season as us and were struggling the first few seasons. As poor as we’ve been they’ve finished above us once I think. Ashworth wasn’t there a long time.

The Brighton thing is led by Bloom who has taken them from League 1 to Europa league in 15 years in a slow build. 

They’ve had the same transfer strategy for a long time. But it wasn’t always working. Theyve refined the formula over time. A literal secret footballing database and algorithm and raiding underused markets (like Ecuador).  Their approach has also meant their wage bill is extremely low. We’ve always been paying good wages.   

If we can replicate a similar model to Brighton, sell a few players for 3-4x we’ll bust FFP. 

Chalobah could be a good upgrade for a squad player if he can play in midfield and rb if needed as well. Under Howe could come along nicely. Just not sure he would leave to be a squad player elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, Shak said:

Willock played almost all his football as LCM last season.

He gets into great wide positions from that spot but saying he was our main wide man last season is absurd :lol:

4 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

If I'm correct, Willock did not start one game out wide, he always played as part of a central three. However he did indeed spend a lot of the games wide due to the way we played. 

We usually played with a midfield 3 of Joelinton Bruno and Longstaff. Willock was always the most advanced wide left filling in for ASM.

Only time I saw Willock actually in midfield was when Joelinton or Bruno was suspended it felt. Either way I’d definitely consider him to be on the list as wide forwards.

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

We usually played with a midfield 3 of Joelinton Bruno and Longstaff. Willock was always the most advanced wide left filling in for ASM.

Only time I saw Willock actually in midfield was when Joelinton or Bruno was suspended it felt. Either way I’d definitely consider him to be on the list as wide forwards.

Yep, that's how I usually saw Willock lined up as well. He might drift in, but his main position seemed to be wide left.