NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

8 minutes ago, McCormick said:

If you read his full quotes in the Chronicle they’re anything but complimentary; <paraphrasing> he’s said that besides maybe Tonali we’ve signed players that we could have bought even if we weren’t in the Champions League.

All in print so could still be out of context but the general feeling is that him and Neville are underwhelmed by our summer business so far.

I mean fair enough, their management expertise gives them every right to say that oh wait a minute.

I don't think pundits in general have absorbed the realities of our financial position in relation to FFP. They see the wealth of the owners and assume that we're going to do a City or a Chelsea because that's what's happened before in this situation.

Our commercial revenue is poor, we can't generate much by player sales, and we've neared the limit of what's allowed by FFP due to our spend over the last two seasons. We still can't compete with the big six when it comes to player salaries, and the so all in all the top targets are beyond us.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

With RCB, it'll be interesting to see if we go for a young development player or someone who will immediately come in to compete with or replace Schar.

I sure hope the Andersen deal comes through. At least 5 years left in the lad and able to make an immediate impact.

I expect our first target is a CB now but I wouldn't rule-out us going for a LB if another Livramento is sat there waiting to be pounced upon, at the expense of the higher priority. 

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Tierney is behind Zinchenko and seemingly Timber too. He's surely got to go.

Rumor this morning that West Ham want him to replace Cresswell.

But part of me thinks if that was true, they'd have tried 85M + Tierney for Rice...? Before accepting the £105M

27 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I don't think pundits in general have absorbed the realities of our financial position in relation to FFP. They see the wealth of the owners and assume that we're going to do a City or a Chelsea because that's what's happened before in this situation.

Our commercial revenue is poor, we can't generate much by player sales, and we've neared the limit of what's allowed by FFP due to our spend over the last two seasons. We still can't compete with the big six when it comes to player salaries, and the so all in all the top targets are beyond us.

Aye.

And he's also right (but missing the FFP context). Anyone looking on the outside would think "mega rich owners, now in the CL.. even if they want to be sensible get 3-4 'top' players in, maybe another 2-3 top-level youngsters and attack everyone".

Tonali aside... a team of West Ham's level could sign who we have signed.

But that's the reality of FFP. It will be the limiting factor in what we can do for a long time. And.. I've said this before and it's made people angry. The only way we get a good level of freedom from FFP (without cheating) is to sell a star player or two for mega bucks (and when their remaining amortisation cost is say <20m).

Until then.. we chip away at it. A few commercial deals at better and better rates and we invest the maximum we can.

2 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

Rumor this morning that West Ham want him to replace Cresswell.

But part of me thinks if that was true, they'd have tried 85M + Tierney for Rice...? Before accepting the £105M

Probably better for FFP this way.

AND... West Ham transfer approach has been shambolic. They don't know what they are doing.

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Think Arsenal were never going to part with Tierney that early in the window. Now they know what they have it's far more likely. 

Aye they've not sold much so far.

You would expect a few of KT, Balogun, ESR or Vieira to get sold. All are still there.

They seem to be waiting out and hoping for big fees Soton style.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Probably better for FFP this way.

AND... West Ham transfer approach has been shambolic. They don't know what they are doing.

Very true RE: FFP. Good point. Not many player + cash swaps these days. But don't see them taking advantage of the FFP freedom the £105M provides, like what Villa did with the Grealish money...

We need a young striker to learn from Wilson and provide cover for him and Isak, I have horrible visons of history repeating itself when we were only left with Jon Dal Tommason to cover upfront and out of position 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

That's exactly what Klopp and Liverpool did :lol:

Robertson, Mane, Firmino, Salah, etc, were hardly household names when they joined Liverpool.

It’s here at 1:01 and it’s not as bad as seeing it written down he’s saying it as a question to Kendall rather than a statement of fact