NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

4 minutes ago, Ste said:

I'm happy with the window, but I am still 100% in the 'wow, this acting like a professional football club thing is pretty cool' phase.

Definitely going to take a while to get used to this. 

When you look at the amount of staff brought in to do different jobs and realise each of their jobs fell under Charnley's umbrella....wow.

6 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

The Abu Dhabi United Group (ha!) bought them at the beginning of the 2008-09 season. Their most recent trophy had been the Championship in 2001-02. 

I think their first trophy was the FA Cup two years later (2010-11). Having previous won it 42 years earlier (1968-69). 

They first won the Premier League three years after takeover (2011-12). 

They won the League Cup 5 years after takeover (2013-14). Having previous won it (bar stewards) 38 years earlier (1975-76).

14 years to win the Champions League last year. 

Shinawatra started to splash the cash a year before Abu Dhabi bought them iirc.

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

Shinawatra started to splash the cash a year before Abu Dhabi bought them iirc.

Yep, likes of Elano Blumer, Martin Petrov and Vedran Corluka were signed under Shinawatra. 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Here’s hoping you have changed your mind by the end of the session. 

I don’t think it will be a case of me changing my mind, as I really rate Barnes as a player but see little point of buying him and Gordon when we need to improve the right hand side. That is why I would have given a higher score, it was a position of need.

Gordon was seen as an opportunistic signing in January but I don’t believe we would have signed him and Barnes this summer if we hadn’t had picked him up then.

15 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I don’t think it will be a case of me changing my mind, as I really rate Barnes as a player but see little point of buying him and Gordon when we need to improve the right hand side. That is why I would have given a higher score, it was a position of need.

Gordon was seen as an opportunistic signing in January but I don’t believe we would have signed him and Barnes this summer if we hadn’t had picked him up then.

A textbook 6/10 post.

42 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Except (correction lol)it was anything but opportunistic?

We bid for him in the summer and went above our initial bid in the winter.

Unless they are telling fibs in the documentary?

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

32 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

unless they see Barnes being the 1st choice left winger and Gordon being an option across the front 3 (and maybe even in midfield in an emergency).

or Howe could be planning a change to formation and bringing in players who can fit into the current and any future plan.

10 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Accept it was anything but opportunistic?

0/10

Sorry.

I like our approach, I think we are a top 6 side now on and off the pitch and Pep’s Man City won’t be around forever, we are primed just nicely for when that day arrives to take over the mantle given the fine balance we have right now between youth, experience and serious talent in the likes of Botman, Bruno, Tonali and Isak, we will keep adding one or two real quality level players per window while also padding out the squad and the youth levels. Does the starting XI have some weaknesses, of course, but we are now stronger than we ever have been since the Keegan and John Hall days, in every area on the pitch and also off the pitch. Our academy has never been stronger, nor our scouting and coaching. 

Again, apologies for the incessant comparisons to Liverpool 4+ years ago, but like them back then we seem to wait for the right player to be available and then we act. In their first season in the CL they persevered with Lovren, Klavan and Matip as their CBs for 4 months until a deal for Van Dijk, their long term target, became available following the sale of Coutinho.

Think that's what's happening with a RCB, looking like that's Antonio Silva, and hopefully is what's happening with a RW. Botman was similar.

Personally rated the window a 9/10 btw, never expected to address every area of the squad. It never works like that, especially with the constraints we're under.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

14 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Accept it was anything but opportunistic?

It was opportunistic in that they didn’t think he would be available, then when he became available they moved for him.

Do you genuinely think they would have bought Gordon and Barnes this window if they hadn’t picked him up in January?

11 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

unless they see Barnes being the 1st choice left winger and Gordon being an option across the front 3 (and maybe even in midfield in an emergency).

or Howe could be planning a change to formation and bringing in players who can fit into the current and any future plan.

I think if Barnes and Gordon were available in the summer from Leicester and Everton respectively then we would have only signed one of them rather than both.

He might move Gordon to the right eventually but if you play with one striker you usually want your wide players to be stronger on the foot they cut in with.

14 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I think if Barnes and Gordon were available in the summer from Leicester and Everton respectively then we would have only signed one of them rather than both.

He might move Gordon to the right eventually but if you play with one striker you usually want your wide players to be stronger on the foot they cut in with.

Don’t forget Anthony can also play our 3rd striker role too. Versatility and intensity is our identity. 

I know we all want massive signings myself included but we have a very very strong squad this season and we seem to have become a lot more ambitious with our youth signings. I don’t think we have signed a CB from AC Milan to just fill up our u21s it’s with a view to progressing into the first team like the rest of the lads.

9 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Raheem sterling to city £49m 20 years old in 2015

Jack grealish to city £100m in 2021

Jason Sancho to manure £73m 23 years old in 2021

Gordon £45m 21 years old is overpriced :lol:

Anyone got any other English wingers to add? 

They where all far more proven in fairness