NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

12 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Pope is still better at commanding his box than Ramsdale. Ramsdale is targeted from corners because he’s not the biggest or strongest and can get caught under the ball frequently enough.  Ramsdale is not an upgrade.  

Oh, I agree. Ramsdale is not an upgrade. I was just mentioning the “upgrade on all areas” part. All keepers have their weaknesses - just need to find one who fits the team profile and to be able to truly dominate possession in both an attacking and energy-saving way we need someone who’s better than Pope with the ball at his feet. The amount of times he kicks it straight out of play or to an opponent is not really sustainable for where we want to be IMO. For now though he’s good. And for where we were he was great. 

If Howe wants someone, I'm onboard (even if I were to voice questions/concerns about the player on here) with it. I would assume that Pope was a signing for the medium term, and if someone were to replace him I'd hope it would be a transformational player much like Botman, Bruno & Isak. I don't think Ramsdale is that player, but happy for Howe to prove me wrong if that was the case. At least I wouldn't have a minor heart attack every time the ball is played back to the keeper when the nearest opponent is 30m away.

I would too but one thing the club has shown when it comes to transfers is that they are prepared to exploit opportunities with transfers if the chance is there, which is why we went for Gordon last January and Livramento in the summer, when we had other pressing areas that needed filling.

Howe could look at this and see that here is the chance to sign a player he didn’t think we could of six months ago due to circumstances at his club, that ticks all of the right boxes including Premier League proven, the right age and no communication problems and makes the move.

4 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Raya has been anything but solid since signing for them and all. 

I agree with this too.  I don’t think he’s the significant upgrade Arsenal are looking for.  But I get the logic. Statistically he’s a much better shot stopper and commmandwe of his box than Ramsdale. But he looks shakey whenever I’ve seen him.  Perhaps the situation is getting to him. 

Ramsdale - like Pope - has glaring weaknesses in his game.  Just different ones. 

2 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

You said “Ramsdale is so good. He’s been replaced by a man 3 years older than him.” to demonstrate that he isn’t that good, which I pointed out is a poor argument as it is based on the thinking of Arteta.

I think Arteta signed Raya as he thought he could get away with having 2 quality goalkeepers and rotating them, which has shown not to work and has left many scratching their heads at the situation. I don’t think Arteta’s ego will allow him to admit he was wrong so he is persevering with Raya even though he hasn’t been that good when I’ve seen him for Arsenal this season.

I think Pope doesn’t get picked for England as Southgate doesn’t have faith in him or his ability, I’m not sure he’s played for England since the stinker he had against Germany. When you consider age and that goalkeepers usually perform at a higher level compared to outfield players you wonder why he has been happy to bin Pope but continues with Trippier, Wilson, Walker and Jordan Henderson if it was about age.

He is only a year older than Sam Johnstone who has replaced him.

1: I’m not saying he’s a bad player but you’ve said he’s a top 5 GK under 30. But he’s been replaced by another GK, under 30, who is a fair bit older.  

You THINK Arteta wanted to rotate keepers.  But in reality, he’s dropped Ramsdale for Raya.  Ramsdale not even getting the CL games.  Ramsdale has player over 80 games for Arsenal and Arteta.  My argument isn’t that Raya is better than him (although the stats suggest he is). Or even that Pope is better than him.  My argument is that there are weaknesses in Ramsdale’s game that has led his manager to replace him. And we would want a player without those weaknesses. If we bring him in, yes we’ll have a GK that can play. But we’ll have a poor shot stopper and someone that can’t come and catch or punch a ball often. That’s not worth the transfer. 

1 hour ago, clintdempsey said:

Oh, I agree. Ramsdale is not an upgrade. I was just mentioning the “upgrade on all areas” part. All keepers have their weaknesses - just need to find one who fits the team profile and to be able to truly dominate possession in both an attacking and energy-saving way we need someone who’s better than Pope with the ball at his feet. The amount of times he kicks it straight out of play or to an opponent is not really sustainable for where we want to be IMO. For now though he’s good. And for where we were he was great. 

Agree with this. But someone like Allison is comparative to Pope or better than him in nearly every metric.  That’s just a thorough upgrade. Someone like Courtois is not dissimilar in profile style and strengths and weaknesses. But his weaknesses are less weak and his strengths are comparable or better. So that’s a thorough upgrade. 

Im only using these big names because im most familiar with them. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree with this too.  I don’t think he’s the significant upgrade Arsenal are looking for.  But I get the logic. Statistically he’s a much better shot stopper and commmandwe of his box than Ramsdale. But he looks shakey whenever I’ve seen him.  Perhaps the situation is getting to him. 

Ramsdale - like Pope - has glaring weaknesses in his game.  Just different ones. 

1: I’m not saying he’s a bad player but you’ve said he’s a top 5 GK under 30. But he’s been replaced by another GK, under 30, who is a fair bit older.  

You THINK Arteta wanted to rotate keepers.  But in reality, he’s dropped Ramsdale for Raya.  Ramsdale not even getting the CL games.  Ramsdale has player over 80 games for Arsenal and Arteta.  My argument isn’t that Raya is better than him (although the stats suggest he is). Or even that Pope is better than him.  My argument is that there are weaknesses in Ramsdale’s game that has led his manager to replace him. And we would want a player without those weaknesses. If we bring him in, yes we’ll have a GK that can play. But we’ll have a poor shot stopper and someone that can’t come and catch or punch a ball often. That’s not worth the transfer. 

Either way it is Arteta’s opinion on the situation, much like it is Southgate’s opinion that he prefers to pick Sam Johnstone over Pope. I wouldn’t pick Raya over Ramsdale or Johnstone over Pope by the way.

I would take Ramsdale over Pope though but it is about opinions.

13 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

That’s my thought. The Pope upgrade is world class, close or with the potential for that.  The fact Ramsdale has been replaced by someone 3 years his senior is telling.  

We don’t have to agonise over it. There’s no doubting that they are both top keepers/have appeared for their country. Ramsdale at all levels. Howe will have the best insight, no doubt guided by his goalkeeping coaches at Bournemouth and here. Personally, I think it would be a good time to get Ramsdale (if he is wanted) and given the age difference and room for further improvement, if affordable, he would be a good shout to offer genuine first team competition to Pope and maybe ultimately replace him. When that would occur would depend on what they saw in training and opportunities given. 

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If Man City are willing to, I could easily see us going for Kalvin Phillips on a loan with obligation to buy in the summer

Same could be said for Ekitike too, both would be ideal loans. If Botman is fucked then we might look at pushing forward a center back as a permanent signing if available?

Edited by black_n_white

3 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Same could be said for Ekitike too, both would be ideal loans. If Botman is fucked then we might look at pushing forward a center back as a permanent signing if available?

He’s an odd one, Ekitike.  I viewed it as a bullet missed at the time, but if we’re still after the lad, then clearly Howe and the scouts know far more than me and see something I don’t.  The lad’s attitude seems off, or maybe he’s been badly managed at PSG