NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

When Eddie signed, a Bournemouth fan came on here and gave a glowing review of him but I always remember him noting that we'd need to get used to half the squad being injured. Everything he said about Howe was accurate. 

If Eddie was known for keeping people fit then DCL might be worth it. Unfortunately, I don't think his cheesecake hamstrings will withstand even one Jason Tindall warm up drill. 

5 hours ago, Steve Charlton said:

Ye just reminds me posh/upper class people i think.

Rather Lewin in than Jacob Rees Mogg mind

YREBBONS

5 hours ago, KaKa said:

This DCL move seems very very opportunistic and cunning.

I hated the idea of him as the main guy when we were being linked and it looked like either him or Isak, but this is very different. He'll be joining as a rotation option and sometimes partner to Isak.

His stock is at an all time low right now. Been stuck in an awful team, not scoring as much, and last year of his contract. The supposed fee of £25 million is an absolute steal.

His physical profile, work rate and character are all great fits. He's still just 27 and gives us much of what we'd lose with Wilson going.

The one thing that really sticks out to me with DCL, was that period under Ancelotti when he looked absolutely incredible. Ancelotti raved about him at the time, and it's worth going back and reading some of those quotes.

The downside is the injuries, but as already mentioned, it doesn't actually look as bad, looking back over the last few seasons. Also, to get a back up of this kind of experience and ability, you probably will need a bit of compromise somewhere. Having two starting quality strikers, that we won't be running into the ground probably works for both, as even Isak doesn't look like he's suited to that.

I think this move only happens if Wilson is sold and we get some money for him. And so DCL would be a direct replacement. Even when we weren't sure Wilson was set to leave, there was talk of a younger, developmental striker coming in, and so could still see that happening also.

If we end the summer with Isak, DCL and a young developmental prospect that's a cheaper wonder kid type in the Minteh profile, that would be a great position to be in.

Ancelotti raved about a certain LW too! (Albeit without the injury doubts). 

I've always rated him, the doubt has been his fitness but 32+ league games in 5/7 seasons is reassuring. If you can get him for under £20m I think he'd be good cover for Isak for 3-4 years.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I've always rated him, the doubt has been his fitness but 32+ league games in 5/7 seasons is reassuring. If you can get him for under £20m I think he'd be good cover for Isak for 3-4 years.

Someone has raised a valid point above that it’s hard to find someone who is prepared to be a number 2 behind the main striker. Hes also a real threat in the air as a target main and with the chances we’d create he’d probably score a fair few goals. It’s certainly a risky signing but there is some degree of logic. Ofcourse if we also bring in a RW who can also play up top (like Bowen can though highly unlikely he comes) then it certainly makes more sense.

If they go big on a RW then it’s going to be difficult to get a top second expensive striker in so financially it makes sense in that situation 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

We’d be pissing ourselves if Villa or Man Yow or Spurs went for him. But it’s us so it’s actually a really cunning move if you think about it.

3 hours ago, Monkey Alan said:

When Eddie signed, a Bournemouth fan came on here and gave a glowing review of him but I always remember him noting that we'd need to get used to half the squad being injured. Everything he said about Howe was accurate. 

If Eddie was known for keeping people fit then DCL might be worth it. Unfortunately, I don't think his cheesecake hamstrings will withstand even one Jason Tindall warm up drill. 

How many injuries last season then?

5 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Three Eyed Crow ITK.

Bran for manager, can warg into the other players and make them shit themselves. Hodor as his Tindall 

16 minutes ago, Paulinho said:

We’d be pissing ourselves if Villa or Man Yow or Spurs went for him. But it’s us so it’s actually a really cunning move if you think about it.

If they were signing him as their main striker, 100%.

Villa signing him to bring in and out to rotate Watkins for instance while they player 50+ games would be a canny bit of business. 

8 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Raise of hands if you wrote off Anthony Gordon when he was first linked? Asking for a friend

Two completely different types of player at different stages of their careers. Gordon was young, very raw and had a big rep for being an utter cunt, chucking himself to the deck at the slightest touch and diving in like a child when things weren't going his way. DCL appears to be a good professional with a huge question mark over his injury record. People who were for the Gordon transfer at the time were purely guessing that he was going to turn out like this (Very few expected his professional approach he discussed in the GNev interview). There was little to his game that suggested he was going to be this good this early into his Newcastle career. It's the same with DCL. Nobody knows what his injury record is going to be like over the next 4/5 years. Fingers crossed (if we sign him) it turns out at least half as well as the Gordon transfer has turned out to be.

Posted (edited)

We’re going to need a striker, Wilson’s days seem numbered so it’s either a player like DCL or a younger player.  Reality is we need Isak to play 40+ games next season so we really need a good rotation option.  For the money quoted it’s a no brainer, think it’s very shrewd assuming it gets done 

Edited by Andy84

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If he wasn’t injury prone I’d agree, we’ve been punished heavily this season for having an injury prone back up for Isak. 

Looking at it another way, if we got Kelly, Tosin and DCL for £25 million, it would leave us which a much stronger squad. We could then go all out for a top class RW. (I’m still not convinced there is anything in the rumours regarding the Valencia keeper).

1 minute ago, sempuki said:

Ipswich after Miggy for £21m.

Call it £20 million and you have a deal *spits on hand*

DCL is a gamble, but if we're going to bridge that gap between ourselves and the big six, we do have to take one or two gambles.

Eddie has made a success of signing talented players whose careers have stalled (eg Gordon, Isak), so perhaps this is another one.

When fit (I know), he's very good. Practically unbeatable in the air.

1 hour ago, Paulinho said:

We’d be pissing ourselves if Villa or Man Yow or Spurs went for him.

Speak for yourself buddy. You just don't get it.

17 hours ago, Smal said:

obviously a good player but not what we need imo. We already have loads of chaos players. We need more control.

Embrace the chaos Smal. We’ll still be able to pick a pass as we run riot over the great and good.