NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

49 minutes ago, Cronky said:

DCL is a gamble, but if we're going to bridge that gap between ourselves and the big six, we do have to take one or two gambles.

Eddie has made a success of signing talented players whose careers have stalled (eg Gordon, Isak), so perhaps this is another one.

When fit (I know), he's very good. Practically unbeatable in the air.

how had Gordon’s career stalled? He was basically still a kid? 

The Calvert-Lewin nonsense reminds me of Kalvin Phillips, everyone was giving it the big one, then when it didn't happen, and he was a total fail, those same people saying good job he didn't come here [emoji38]

Does seem like a key characteristic we look for in players, aside from character and age is whether they’re injury prone. Provided they have a history of either significant hamstring or muscle injuries it’s a big tick

In fairness actually, looking at DCL’s injury record, it’s quite a lot of disconnected injuries. Broken toe, Hamstrings, Knees, fractured cheekbones. Evil Knievel reborn 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

In fairness actually, looking at DCL’s injury record, it’s quite a lot of disconnected injuries. Broken toe, Hamstrings, Knees, fractured cheekbones. Evil Knievel reborn 

Carl Cort mkii

33 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

The Calvert-Lewin nonsense reminds me of Kalvin Phillips, everyone was giving it the big one, then when it didn't happen, and he was a total fail, those same people saying good job he didn't come here [emoji38]

Why the assumption that it goes the same way for Philips at Newcastle? In a totally different setup from West Ham and Moyes?

10 hours ago, KaKa said:

This DCL move seems very very opportunistic and cunning.

I hated the idea of him as the main guy when we were being linked and it looked like either him or Isak, but this is very different. He'll be joining as a rotation option and sometimes partner to Isak.

His stock is at an all time low right now. Been stuck in an awful team, not scoring as much, and last year of his contract. The supposed fee of £25 million is an absolute steal.

His physical profile, work rate and character are all great fits. He's still just 27 and gives us much of what we'd lose with Wilson going.

The one thing that really sticks out to me with DCL, was that period under Ancelotti when he looked absolutely incredible. Ancelotti raved about him at the time, and it's worth going back and reading some of those quotes.

The downside is the injuries, but as already mentioned, it doesn't actually look as bad, looking back over the last few seasons. Also, to get a back up of this kind of experience and ability, you probably will need a bit of compromise somewhere. Having two starting quality strikers, that we won't be running into the ground probably works for both, as even Isak doesn't look like he's suited to that.

I think this move only happens if Wilson is sold and we get some money for him. And so DCL would be a direct replacement. Even when we weren't sure Wilson was set to leave, there was talk of a younger, developmental striker coming in, and so could still see that happening also.

If we end the summer with Isak, DCL and a young developmental prospect that's a cheaper wonder kid type in the Minteh profile, that would be a great position to be in.

If we can get a fit DCL, who can play the back up option for next 4 years, it’s a great deal. Because over time, we’ll be adding goals around this team, where the striker links it up and doesn’t need to score loads when replacing Isak.

Just a bit weary on the injury side, for someone who’s a physical player and getting into their latter years.

17 minutes ago, OCK said:

Replacing Wilson with another injury prone striker isn't exactly the move I was thinking of

When we signed Wilson he was an injury prone striker. Would you say it's been a worthwhile signing or no?

46 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

There’s some folk on here just happy to sign any fucker, not a fan of DCL think we can do a lot better and show a bit more imagination.

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

When we signed Wilson he was an injury prone striker. Would you say it's been a worthwhile signing or no?

Exactly, he’d had an ACLR in each knee 

Posted (edited)

When you have such a prime number one striker it does prove difficult to get a second equally as good , fully fit back up to sign up and be happy.

Much like Shearer or Kane at Spurs.. shearer might have been easier in that we played with two forwards back then but whoever come is now already knows they are second choice or at best play Europa or games when Isak is unfit.

I feel Wilson is too much on alpha to see that as a viable option.. but maybe signing for a club to be first choice and then getting injured may make him think that a super sub is where he is in his career right now.

Maybe that's how we see DCL fitting in.. someone who with his own track record wants to rebuild not being the main man

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

If we're wanting a back up CF on a thrifty deal, I'd rather us sign a kid because Eddie almost guarantees resale value. Drop the big bucks on the RW position. 

Seems like our way of working anyway.

11 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

There’s some folk on here just happy to sign any fucker, not a fan of DCL think we can do a lot better and show a bit more imagination.

Can we have some names please?

Who would be as you say, 'a lot better and more imaginative', as a replacement for Wilson as a rotation striker?

20 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Well, we're having to replace him for that very same reason. 

I'd be extremely happy with a version of an injury free Wilson, however that's not the reality and it's impacting us so why replicate it?

Just now, Thumbheed said:

Well, we're having to replace him for that very same reason. 

I'd be extremely happy with a version of an injury free Wilson, however that's not the reality and it's impacting us so why replicate it?

Wilson's situation has worsened significantly this season and he is 32 and in the last year of his deal, and so makes no sense persisting with him.

DCL is 27 and has not been anywhere near as injury problems as Wilson has been for us of late. There's no comparison.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Can we have some names please?

Who would be as you say, 'a lot better and more imaginative', as a replacement for Wilson as a rotation striker?

Ask Steve Nickson that’s what he gets paid for and the Dutch bloke we employed to comb the continent. 

The blokes a walking sick note and will command massive wages to be a 2nd choice striker, far better spending it on someone versatile who can play across the front 3 and also cover for Isak.

I'd personally want somebody younger and with less historic injury problems but you can definitely see the logic in DCL.

He's a player who would likely be happy coming in as clear second fiddle to Isak and is at a point where he would actually represent value due to the contract situation. 

I will trust Eddie on this, but similar to what people have said. If he's broken at Everton's training methods - imagine him with Howe. I'm pretty sure Shelvey said he threw up first training method, and Gordon said his body was in bits for a week.

This could go either way - either its a punt that completely pays off, or we look back and think what the hell was he thinking