NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Menace said:

I will trust Eddie on this, but similar to what people have said. If he's broken at Everton's training methods - imagine him with Howe. I'm pretty sure Shelvey said he threw up first training method, and Gordon said his body was in bits for a week.

This could go either way - either its a punt that completely pays off, or we look back and think what the hell was he thinking

Or it’s just made up bollox? 

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Ask Steve Nickson that’s what he gets paid for and the Dutch bloke we employed to comb the continent. 

The blokes a walking sick note and will command massive wages to be a 2nd choice striker, far better spending it on someone versatile who can play across the front 3 and also cover for Isak.

I disagree with your premise.

His record shows he hasn't been anywhere near as much of a 'sicknote' as people have claimed.

And if we do sign him it won't be on wages that can't be accommodated.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. If we do sign him though, I see it being a successful move.

7 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Ask Steve Nickson that’s what he gets paid for and the Dutch bloke we employed to comb the continent. 

The blokes a walking sick note and will command massive wages to be a 2nd choice striker, far better spending it on someone versatile who can play across the front 3 and also cover for Isak.

Playing 38 games last season is quite a lot for a “walking sick note”.

46 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

I like Miggy but that could be a good deal.

I am not saying it isn't - just checking Ipswich are really offering £21Mil

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Wilson's situation has worsened significantly this season and he is 32 and in the last year of his deal, and so makes no sense persisting with him.

DCL is 27 and has not been anywhere near as injury problems as Wilson has been for us of late. There's no comparison.

But he is injury prone? And that was implied in the message I quoted (ie making reference to Wilson's own record as a comparative), so why go for someone who has that in there make up, when we have our pick of 95% of the strikers out there? 

If his injury record isn't as bad is made out, why is his goal record not as good as it should be?

Something doesn't add up...

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

In fairness actually, looking at DCL’s injury record, it’s quite a lot of disconnected injuries. Broken toe, Hamstrings, Knees, fractured cheekbones. Evil Knievel reborn 

Made of glasses clearly - Eddie will shatter him with his high pressing tactics

1 minute ago, Menace said:

image.thumb.png.1ba3bf7e0549f33897b1be20dff8e139.png

Its not really great reading though is it

Almost 53 games missed in 3 seasons

No, but the fact that his most recent season shows a good level of availability is more comforting.

Just now, Menace said:

image.thumb.png.1ba3bf7e0549f33897b1be20dff8e139.png

Its not really great reading though is it

Almost 53 games missed in 3 seasons

The comparison to Wilson is a strange one as his injury record in the 3 seasons before joining us was pretty good, as was his form.

12 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

But he is injury prone? And that was implied in the message I quoted (ie making reference to Wilson's own record as a comparative), so why go for someone who has that in there make up, when we have our pick of 95% of the strikers out there? 

If his injury record isn't as bad is made out, why is his goal record not as good as it should be?

Something doesn't add up...

I pretty much spoke on each of these points in my first post on this ...

11 hours ago, KaKa said:

This DCL move seems very very opportunistic and cunning.

I hated the idea of him as the main guy when we were being linked and it looked like either him or Isak, but this is very different. He'll be joining as a rotation option and sometimes partner to Isak.

His stock is at an all time low right now. Been stuck in an awful team, not scoring as much, and last year of his contract. The supposed fee of £25 million is an absolute steal.

His physical profile, work rate and character are all great fits. He's still just 27 and gives us much of what we'd lose with Wilson going.

The one thing that really sticks out to me with DCL, was that period under Ancelotti when he looked absolutely incredible. Ancelotti raved about him at the time, and it's worth going back and reading some of those quotes.

The downside is the injuries, but as already mentioned, it doesn't actually look as bad, looking back over the last few seasons. Also, to get a back up of this kind of experience and ability, you probably will need a bit of compromise somewhere. Having two starting quality strikers, that we won't be running into the ground probably works for both, as even Isak doesn't look like he's suited to that.

I think this move only happens if Wilson is sold and we get some money for him. And so DCL would be a direct replacement. Even when we weren't sure Wilson was set to leave, there was talk of a younger, developmental striker coming in, and so could still see that happening also.

If we end the summer with Isak, DCL and a young developmental prospect that's a cheaper wonder kid type in the Minteh profile, that would be a great position to be in.

But fair enough if folks don't agree. Let's wait and see how it all plays out.

46 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Why the assumption that it goes the same way for Philips at Newcastle? In a totally different setup from West Ham and Moyes?

I don't think he was ever in the right shape, his lack of minutes has shown at West Ham, his mental game has declined given the amount of time he spent not playing at City, I can't predict what might have been, but the lad was at his absolute best during Leeds promotion season and their first season in the Premier league under Bielsa, I'd make the assumption that whatever happens next will be similar for him, I think he's a player on the decline, we could go for him, but I very much doubt it. Just my opinion, it's not a matter of being right, plus once you're earning silly wages at man city and you're career goes backwards, it's difficult for clubs to negotiate a salary, he's going to need to reduce his wages for whatever happens next for him, or move to Saudi?

DCL played plenty of minutes for Everton this season but it's clear his injuries have massively affected him as well, he isn't the player he was a few years ago because of his injuries.

Maybe Howe can get DCL back to the player he was for 2 seasons in his career but then can he stay fit enough to play while doing that, can he close down consistently with his hamstrings of cheese?

Just now, Matt1892 said:

He has 14 league goals in 67 appearances for Everton over the last 3 season, with 5 of the 14 goals coming from the penalty spot.

Lampard and Dyche ...

If it makes any of the detractors feel better, we’ll be having the same debate next year when Luke runs this article again.

5 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

If it makes any of the detractors feel better, we’ll be having the same debate next year when Luke runs this article again.

Luke reads this forum :lol:

Posted (edited)

I don't think DCL's injury record is quite as concerning as first appears:

1. He doesn't appear to have one injury that keeps recurring (see Wilson's constant hamstring niggles over the years for example: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/callum-wilson/verletzungen/spieler/123682)

2. 18/19, 19/20, 20/21 he missed less than a couple of months combined in those three years - one bruise, one muscle injury and a few days with a hamstring niggle

3. 21/22 - he missed 125 days with a broken toe. Lot of time out but no repeated history of this, probably just one of those things that can happen.

4. 22/23 - Few injuries this year, can't deny it. Following the previous year probably established his sick note reputation

5. This year - only a broken cheekbone keeping him out for a few weeks. No muscle injuries etc.

Obviously his injury record still is a bit of a concern, but probably not as much of a concern as Callum's multiple ACLs and constant hamstrings.

Had a look on GOT and most seem to rate hm and would be sorry to see him go. Sounds as if he's been left on an island a bit by Dyche this year. Sounds a good lad. One says a reasonably reliable ITK on another forum says a deal agreed and will be announced 1st June, though this could well be internet hearsay bollocks.

Edited by Checko

21 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Lampard and Dyche ...

And the fact he's abysmal at finishing. I've list count the amount of huge chances I've seen him miss in recent seasons.

10 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Lampard and Dyche ...

The same Sean Dyche that got double figures out of Chris Wood in his four full seasons in the Premier League before joining us…

Calvert-Lewin’s is in an awful run of form and has been for years, Howe might turn that around but the risk is all on the club, as if he can’t we are lumbered with an injury prone player that we will struggle to move on.

Not really impressed if we go for DCL. Thats my main concern with Howe that he doent really go for the elite. Even £25m seems step. Max for me would be closer to £15m.

Even if his injury record isnt at the same level you would of expact, he really doesnt seem like the same player any more. At the right price and to be an understady with some youth under, then maybe ok.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Aiston said:

DCL played plenty of minutes for Everton this season but it's clear his injuries have massively affected him as well, he isn't the player he was a few years ago because of his injuries.

This is a very good point. You can say he played more games last season and maybe hes over the worst of injuries. Im not an Everton expert at all, but DCL doesnt look half as fast, sharp, lethal and strong as he used to be. Wilson was out for several weeks now and when he came back he looked superior to DCL. Class above really.

Edited by nufc123