NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

32 minutes ago, Pablo123 said:

It's pretty important if you play with one man upfront, I'd say, but I bow down to your vastly superior knowledge.

I don't think any other team in the top 8 would take him. I like his all-round game, he's a handful, but I'd keep Wilson if he was the alternative. 

It was the reason a number of teams passed on Isak. It isn't the be all and end all, especially when a player is in a poor team, and has shown much better numbers when the team was better.

Agree to disagree though. Let's see how things pan out.

1 hour ago, Weezertron said:

Kinda sucks that we're having to look at players that we need to get back to their best. 

I'd prefer players who are in the early stages of their upwards curve. 

If this is the only way we can get around PSR then I guess so be it. 

It goes without saying PSR is probably holding us back by a few years in development because we have to make do and mend until our spend limit is increased. We'd be regular CL certs already without the financial constraints.

1 hour ago, Weezertron said:

Kinda sucks that we're having to look at players that we need to get back to their best. 

I'd prefer players who are in the early stages of their upwards curve. 

If this is the only way we can get around PSR then I guess so be it. 

We're not as far as I'm aware?

4 hours ago, 54 said:

So far our recruitment team haven't really missed since the takeover. So while I personally wouldn't go for DCL, I will back it.

That said this link doesn't feel concrete, and a bit deflecty.

Harvey Barnes has been a very cut and dried miss at 40 million... Stands to make up for his lack of fitness and performance in seasons to come but as of right now, a very poor piece of business with Diaby and Maddison going for around the same price tag

5 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Harvey Barnes has been a very cut and dried miss at 40 million... Stands to make up for his lack of fitness and performance in seasons to come but as of right now, a very poor piece of business with Diaby and Maddison going for around the same price tag

I think we've been proven correct in not going for Maddisin and Diaby, granted both are good players.

11 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Strange take. For one thing, Barnes has missed a huge chunk of the season through injury, think we'll have a better idea next season of how he's going to be. Writing him off so soon is blinkered. As for the 2 you mentioned, Madison didn't want to come and Diaby has been largely poor when i've seen him.

Just now, The Prophet said:

I think we've been proven correct in not going for Maddisin and Diaby, granted both are good players.

Definitely an interesting take - especially in a season where another win gets us European football. Both comfortably out-produced barnes, stayed on the pitch for the most part, and both would have offered upgrades in positions we needed upgrades in (as opposed to a co-pilot for Anthony Gordon).

I'm all for glass half full assessments, and I agree transfer business has been (very) good under Eddie and co., but certainly room for improvement.

Just now, Upthemags said:

Definitely an interesting take - especially in a season where another win gets us European football. Both comfortably out-produced barnes, stayed on the pitch for the most part, and both would have offered upgrades in positions we needed upgrades in (as opposed to a co-pilot for Anthony Gordon).

I'm all for glass half full assessments, and I agree transfer business has been (very) good under Eddie and co., but certainly room for improvement.

That tends to happen when you miss most of the season through injury.

Creation and goal scoring hasn't really been an issue this season though and it certainly isn't the reason we missed out on 6th.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

That tends to happen when you miss most of the season through injury.

Creation and goal scoring hasn't really been an issue this season though and it certainly isn't the reason we missed out on 6th.

Correct - remember Anthony Gordon's take from a couple months ago: the best ability is availability.

Think we should just go all out and throw money at it regardless of FFP/PSR rules.

UEFA will show that Chelsea not complying will not result in them being thrown out, and Everton, and Forest have largely got off lightly. We could easily make up 12 points or so they will deduct with good signings.

1 more season failing to qualify for Europe and at worst a mid table finish, for years of setting us up. Just fucking go for it.

15 minutes ago, huss9 said:

what does the conference league get you? 

nearly £5m?

we still could have done with that.

About £20m all in for winning when you chuck in match income plus the rumoured sponsorship add ons. 

Time for Kieran and Almiron to take a journey to Saudi Arabia - will be disappointed if we don't get some clear-cut upgrades in this summer. No more depth buys.

13 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Time for Kieran and Almiron to take a journey to Saudi Arabia - will be disappointed if we don't get some clear-cut upgrades in this summer. No more depth buys.

No Europe makes the focus the first 11.

Just now, Rich said:

We can surely afford to be a lot more ruthless now, like.

Yep. Offers of any sorts for the following and they should be off:

Dubravka

Lewis

Targett

Almiron

Hayden

Fraser

Wilson

Plus those out of contract can all go:

Ritchie

Dummett

Karius

Hendrick

Sure I’ll have forgotten some. 

We may need to rethink our transfer strategy after missing out on Europe. I’d been told, on pretty good authority (one person removed from the player himself), that Bruno has been told that if we qualify for Europe that we wouldn’t need to sell him (based on current strategy) and he doesn’t want to go.

Quite how this now unfolds will be interesting, do we try and offload some other players we weren’t planning to release, do we revise our list of targets to save money?

One thing that is now likely to happen is that Clubs will be looking to unsettle the likes of Bruno and Isak with the attraction of European football and it’s something we can’t offer to prospective targets.

I think it’s a bigger blow than it may look.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

We can surely afford to be a lot more ruthless now, like.

You've just given me a reason to find a positive in this season after all. Thanks! :lol:

Posted (edited)

I don’t think qualifying for ELC will have any impact on Isak’s situation (unless he agitates a move). Regarding Bruno it might muddy the waters a bit.

We've signed quality players before without Europe and we will again. It probably does affect some targets but all in all I don’t think it’ll be a terrible disaster. For the overall club development it definitely would’ve been better though.

Being entirely optimistic our chances of top four are probably strengthened next season.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

We may need to rethink our transfer strategy after missing out on Europe. I’d been told, on pretty good authority (one person removed from the player himself), that Bruno has been told that if we qualify for Europe that we wouldn’t need to sell him (based on current strategy) and he doesn’t want to go.

Quite how this now unfolds will be interesting, do we try and offload some other players we weren’t planning to release, do we revise our list of targets to save money?

One thing that is now likely to happen is that Clubs will be looking to unsettle the likes of Bruno and Isak with the attraction of European football and it’s something we can’t offer to prospective targets.

I think it’s a bigger blow than it may look.

Sure, but its a miggy cup. The league place next year is much more importent.