NUFC Transfer Rumours

I honestly can't understand some of the relentless negativity here. Must be exhausting getting so agitated over a transfer window that hasn't closed, rumours about our budget that have never been confirmed either way, reports of "unrest" behind the scenes that nobody had any actual evidence of.

At the very least can we assume they're doing what they believe is in the best interest of the club and that they have considerably more information about our financial situation, players we may or may not be targeting and how best to organise things both on and off the field? Can the talk of "a 4/10 window" wait until our business is actually done?

I wouldn't imagine that we only have a £60m budget.

Instead, we currently have too many players on the books.  Even excluding injured or outcast players we have more than 25 players over the age of 21 that we'd need to register.  If we want to add any new players we need to shift some of the ones we already have.  We won't sign a new RW simply because our budget is gone, we'll not sign one because we can't get rid of the ones we already have.

10 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

We seem very stubborn when it comes to transfer targets.

Hard balance though, isn’t it? You have to be specific about the profiles of player you want to really improve the team, and it increases the chances that your signings will be successful. 

Most of our dross will be loaned out near the end of the window. That's why it'll be a frantic day on tyneside. 

There's been sightings of Peter odemwingie I'm hearing. 😂 

1 hour ago, junkhead said:

The Saudi transfer window closes in Oct I think so it could be done but who am I kidding..

They’re doing us zero favours. Their league is part of a much bigger project for them, we’re a side trinket.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

What we thinking. Three in, half a dozen out this week?

For the Trafford link to have re-emerged then we're presumably losing at least one keeper, and Howe confirmed there was a chance of this in his presser. He also said there was no likelihood of Fraser leaving, which would be a pain in the arse. Got to be a wages issue because you'd have to assume there'd be a queue of Championship players interested. 

2 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

whatever happens this transfer window I'll still be confident we can have a good season with this squad and manager

base on the match thread against Bournemouth I am afraid this is o

not the case sir

Just now, Ginola14 said:

whatever happens this transfer window I'll still be confident we can have a good season with this squad and manager

Agree but what do you define as a good season? Top 8? I think is easily achievable, top 6? I think that would be a success, top 4? Probably not achievable at the moment but this is probably where the majority were looking at us to push on an cement ourselves hence the negativity around the lack of transfers and first team improvement.

I'd be happy with European football of any sort however we have the foundations to push on with a new CB and RW and if we don't sign those, especially a RW after 2 seasons of everyone knowing we need that area improved it would be disappointing.

I think we should be looking to strike a last minute loan move for sterling if all else fails

11 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Agree but what do you define as a good season? Top 8? I think is easily achievable, top 6? I think that would be a success, top 4? Probably not achievable at the moment but this is probably where the majority were looking at us to push on an cement ourselves hence the negativity around the lack of transfers and first team improvement.

I'd be happy with European football of any sort however we have the foundations to push on with a new CB and RW and if we don't sign those, especially a RW after 2 seasons of everyone knowing we need that area improved it would be disappointing.

I think we should be looking to strike a last minute loan move for sterling if all else fails

for me top 4 would be a great season 

a cup would be a great season regardless of league position, so big game away to Forest this week

Top 6 / European football would still be a very good season 

no reason to think we can't achieve that if we can avoid another prolonged injury crisis

2 hours ago, gdm said:

Wouldn’t even give a 4/10

Sold two highly promising youngsters. Both now first team players at other clubs 

signed Hall who looks quality but not sure Howe trusts him yet 

signed Ruddy for absolutely no reason 

signed the Greek fella to get the Anderson deal down and immediately look up loan him out 

signed Osula who is a gamble having not yet scored a PL goal 

Kelly looks a decent signing for free

With no one else in the two key areas identified by the club haven’t been improved 

and not some single deadwood player out the door.

4/10 is generous 

Minteh and Anderson should be part of grading our summer 2023 business. 

I don’t have an issue with people feeling negative. We have just over 4 days left and a lot of work to be done, so we’re very much in the wet bed zone.

I think people have a right to be a little annoyed. Shearer is saying as much on his podcast. I mean, things may change, but it’s been a poor summer so far. 

Edited by J7

After the summer we had, top 4 talk is pie in the sky. As it is, I think we'll even struggle for top 10. Imo, Forest, West Ham and Brighton have better squads.. nevermind the top 6 wankers..

Don't think it's realistic to expect our limited players to continue overachieving for third straight year;  Eddie's rigid formation to continue surprising teams; Bruno, Schar and Isak avoiding injuries and continuing top form while playing next to Longstaff, Krafth and Murphy for another season.. 

Without Schar, Trippier and Bruno we can't retain the ball for 20 seconds.. even Southampton and Leicester have more players that are comfortable in possession. Our squad is full with keepers and athletes and without Bruno and Isak, the quality is easily bottom half.

Sorry for the depressing posts but I literally can't believe how passive we've been in this absolutely key window. 

4 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

That Rowe from Norwich would have been worth a punt. Gone to Marseille for 13 million

Doubt the price quoted us would’ve been 13m, mind.

20 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Minteh and Anderson should be part of grading our summer 2023 business. 

Understand what you are saying but Anderson played for us last season and Minteh had just signed