NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

12 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Just watched the 16 goals Guirassy has scored this season. Judging from that and that alone he'd be an incredible January signing. No guarantee he continues that scoring form with us though ofcourse.

His style of play and technique is VERY similar to Isak though so you can absolutely see why we'd be interested.

Worth mentioning that if we signed Guirassy in Jan he’d be off immediately to the AFCON for a month 

45 minutes ago, joeyt said:

For those who want us to sign a proper defensive mid, do they still want Bruno to move to one of the other 2 centre mid positions?

Because Bruno is so important in our play from being press resistant and controlling the centre of the pitch that I think moving him for a defensive mid wouldn't work.

He's not got the leg power to play in the other slightly more advanced centre mid positions consistently and he's brilliant as the deepest lying one. A defensive mid could disrupt that. Or they're sitting on the bench

Yeah I think he's perfect in the role he plays.

I think he'd be equally excellent further up, scoring a few more goals, but it'd be harder to find someone who can do what Bruno does where he is now, than do a role in one of the other two slots. 

Probably since the Brighton loss he's been as good as anyone I've seen in midfield for us he's just class.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

23 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Worth mentioning that if we signed Guirassy in Jan he’d be off immediately to the AFCON for a month 

I dunno, he will probably be injured before then.

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, joeyt said:

For those who want us to sign a proper defensive mid, do they still want Bruno to move to one of the other 2 centre mid positions?

Because Bruno is so important in our play from being press resistant and controlling the centre of the pitch that I think moving him for a defensive mid wouldn't work.

He's not got the leg power to play in the other slightly more advanced centre mid positions consistently and he's brilliant as the deepest lying one. A defensive mid could disrupt that. Or they're sitting on the bench

Totally agree. Never understood the clamour from some for a DM. Much prefer having three in there who can switch and cover. Was great seeing Miley dropping in when Bruno pushed forward. Bruno is a must and is irreplaceable for that central role of the three, moving him for a player to just sit seems utter madness to me.

Edited by reefatoon

Bruno only plays as a DM when we have possession in our first third of the pitch anyway. When the other team has the ball in settled possession and we go into our flat 4-5-1 shape Bruno is the one that presses the central opposition players most aggressively whilst the two other CMs are ready to cover runners or wide players. It's really unorthodox but seems to work and if we continue with it there's absolutely no need for a DM at this stage. Just need players with enough athleticism to cover for Bruno's lack of it either side of him in this setup. Look at where Bruno is compared to Miley and Joelinton for their goal kick which leads to the goal for instance:

image.thumb.png.e0a1d6c7f83c7e5d3bd631e3f9f52cf6.png

Our out of possession shape is pretty fluid. The ball eventually breaks for Bruno who creates the goal from a #10 position whilst Miley and Joelinton sit behind as a pivot:

image.thumb.png.f6f4ce85116d314b0047010eb0bbfaf3.png

The next step for the midfield is getting some more technical quality in there without losing the athleticism, which will cost hundreds of billions. Tonali is supposed to fit that mould. Maybe we don't need to spend more there at all and should just develop Miley and Anderson instead?

Would rather we spent big on a RW and GK next, but no idea who. 

Edited by Smal

6 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

It isn’t pressing for January though, which is the point I am responding to.

I know and i didn't argue against it either. I just added my thought on it more long term.

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

I agree, a while ago I used to want him as an 8, however I think it's more clear that we need high levels of athleticism in our 8s which Bruno doesn't have, instead being better at other things and orchestrating play from the middle 

I do often wish we had someone more athletic in the middle, especially for protecting against transitions/counters etc, but if you mix Bruno and someone like Kante you'd probably have the best midfielder ever so its unlikely someone exists like that 😂

I'm leaning towards a move for Ramsdale in January.

Just to be clear, I don't think there's a massive amount between Ramsdale and Pope. I think Pope is probably better aerially and has more experience but what Ramsdale has on his side is youth. Was Pope as good as Ramsdale at 25?

Hes a baby in goalkeeping terms and I'd be keen to see what our coaching would do for him.

If and it's a big if, we could get Ramsdale on loan from Arsenal, we could see whether he's worth a long term move.

At worst, he's a better keeper than Dubravka and it would be a good short term fix.

Personally i don't want Ramsdale. Think he's a bit too floppy. Can't say i've seen too much of him but the little i've seen i like the Valencia keeper.

If we were to sign anyone from Arsenal then i'd like ESR (injury prone though?).

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, STM said:

I'm leaning towards a move for Ramsdale in January.

Just to be clear, I don't think there's a massive amount between Ramsdale and Pope. I think Pope is probably better aerially and has more experience but what Ramsdale has on his side is youth. Was Pope as good as Ramsdale at 25?

Hes a baby in goalkeeping terms and I'd be keen to see what our coaching would do for him.

If and it's a big if, we could get Ramsdale on loan from Arsenal, we could see whether he's worth a long term move.

At worst, he's a better keeper than Dubravka and it would be a good short term fix.

I don't see any sense in Arsenal loaning out Ramsdale.

1 minute ago, Alberto2005 said:

I don't see any sense in Arsenal loaning out Ramsdale.

Doesn't work like that though. There was no sense in us loaning Dubravka to Man Utd but it happened. 

There's a school of thought that football clubs shouldn't deny transfers of players who aren't getting game time and if a club refuses to allow a player to leave for more football, it can damage that clubs reputation.

If Ramsdale were to go to Edu and say, "I'd like to play for Newcastle", it's very hard for a club to at least not hear a player out, when they aren't first choice. They might say, "wait until the summer" or something but it puts massive pressure on the club.

Ramsdales Arsenal days are numbered, we all know that.

Just now, Barnes23 said:

We should be looking to do better than Ramsdale when the time comes to upgrade on Pope. 

Which is basically an Allison/Ederson? That's a needle in a haystack. I'm not disagreeing mind.:lol:

Just now, STM said:

See above. Why on earth would Brentford loan on out their keeper? 

Because it was the start of the season, a bigger club came on for him and there is an obligation to make it permanent, I believe? 

I suppose if there was an obligation, they might consider letting Ramsdale leave. But that would still leave them short with no solid keeper option for a title challenge and the CL for half a season. They flogged Turner to Forest. So not even sure who their 3rd choice is. 

Possibly reading too much into it. But I get the impression Arteta and Arsenal absolutely despise us :lol: and see us as a threat to the top 4 status quo. So I think they’d be even more reluctant if it were us trying to do such a deal.  

29 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Personally i don't want Ramsdale. Think he's a bit too floppy. Can't say i've seen too much of him but the little i've seen i like the Valencia keeper.

If we were to sign anyone from Arsenal then i'd like ESR (injury prone though?).

Think his composure is a bit of an issue

37 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

We should be looking to do better than Ramsdale when the time comes to upgrade on Pope. 

100%. Ramsdale is shit and massively overrated on here. Dude is a donkey and was the weakest link in that Arsenal side, and the worst keeper in the top half of the table.