NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Feel like Howe would absolutely love a prime Henderson in this team, all his qualities are physical and leadership based 

But yeah he's so washed and Phillips would offer more for 6 months 

Genuine question for club finances people who track this stuff closer than I: under ffp currently, and barring any massive transfers out, do we stand a realistic chance of getting any quality additions in?

I feel like I might be best served just napping until February.

17 minutes ago, thomas said:

Genuine question for club finances people who track this stuff closer than I: under ffp currently, and barring any massive transfers out, do we stand a realistic chance of getting any quality additions in?

It’s impossible to track as we don’t have the real time accounts, most estimates out us near our limit however. 

22 minutes ago, thomas said:

If you have a spare hour, the Kevin Maguire interview on Loaded Mag is decent. The basic summary is that we're probably close to our FFP limit now. 'Would a £40m signing be a problem? Probably not' is one of the things I remember him saying. 

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

I wouldn't want to sell Longstaff but the issue with FFP is it actually encourages clubs to sell homegrown players for accounting purposes. A big fee for Longstaff (25 mill say) would free up breathing space for a load of signings. There's no doubt the club are going to consider the sale of pretty much all of our players depending on the interest and fees involved. That's the reality of where we're at.

I don't for one minute think Howe would sell a homegrown player, but if you look at it dispassionately, it makes sense for just that reason. His sale would generate plenty of income to make much bigger signings. At some point we'll have to make hard decisions if we want to stay a CL club.

Aye homegrown players is a tough one: best sales for FFP but needed for European squads. 

We need midfielders + it can't be Bruno, Joelinton, Tonali or Miley to depart. May have to sell either Longstaff or Anderson.

3 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I wouldn't want to sell Longstaff but the issue with FFP is it actually encourages clubs to sell homegrown players for accounting purposes. A big fee for Longstaff (25 mill say) would free up breathing space for a load of signings. There's no doubt the club are going to consider the sale of pretty much all of our players depending on the interest and fees involved. That's the reality of where we're at.

I mean, that's just proof that FFP isn't fit for purpose like. :lol:

"Make sure you don't spend beyond your means, but if you want to sell a local player for £40m so you can spend £100m, crack on". 

5 hours ago, christ said:

I’d sign Hendo if only for the seethe it would generate on Wearside.

The prospective Jonathan Wilson article could be a funny read 

Would Murphy have been a sell if he were fit?

fwiw, I like him and rate him, but its too easy to imagine him helping keep a relegation threatened team up and that's worth a lot of money in the January window.

4 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

A big fee for Longstaff will never happen though. 

Don’t think Howe would have sold Murphy when he was fit, might be wrong but the amount he’d bring in would be pretty small fry and he’s a dedicated pro. That’s the problem with many of our squad pre-2022. They barely have any value so it’s hard to shift them and bring in new players due to FFP

2 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Would Murphy have been a sell if he were fit?

fwiw, I like him and rate him, but its too easy to imagine him helping keep a relegation threatened team up and that's worth a lot of money in the January window.

I don't think there's room for him and Almiron in the same squad if we want another RW. Happy with either of them as the backup winger, sell whoever would get the most money in. Might sound harsh.

22 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think there's room for him and Almiron in the same squad if we want another RW. Happy with either of them as the backup winger, sell whoever would get the most money in. Might sound harsh.

Dont want to see either of them go, if they are happy to get additional competition for their place. This season have shown that there is more than enough room for wingers with the amount of workrate they are required to do.

Edited by Displayname