NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't know if any of them are "really good players". 1 of them can't even stay it. None of them have excellent reputations in the game in comparison to a Nathan Ake.

I think we need a top CB/LB. A Nathan Ake would actually be perfect for us especially if Howe wants to stick to the same profile as Burn.

If we sell multiple squad players - bringing in cheap squad players is a good idea.

Yeah, I get it. People don't pay attention to most players till they move to better clubs and start doing well.

Spurs and Liverpool look to be snooping around Kelly and Tosin. Let's see how the narrative changes when they end up at one of those and start doing well.

Fully onboard with the club picking up some free transfers to pad out the squad, as long as they are the right profile.

We can then sell players under contract to boost first team signings.

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

They have Kudus.

They need one in the middle like Paqueta. He's like their Bruno, he progresses them up the field with guile and is the only one who puts a foot on the ball for them.

I wasn't sure on Paqueta when we were linked but I think he's a top player. He's not Howe-style though.

Would rather keep Big Joe than Billing if it's the choice.

Big Joe must be possible to sell to clubs in Saudia for a decent sum. Brazil international and a better player than Fabinho was when he was sold for £40m.

Not desperate to sell Big Joe, but he strikes me as someone who might be wise to sell now and someone who is possible to get a good sum for.

Lloyd Kelly makes some sense, especially given the clear out of squad players we’ll hopefully have in the summer. Billing looked talented as a young player but he never really improved. Now he’s just a 27 year old bench player at Bournemouth. Not for me.

10 minutes ago, Krabbe2 said:

Would rather keep Big Joe than Billing if it's the choice.

Big Joe must be possible to sell to clubs in Saudia for a decent sum. Brazil international and a better player than Fabinho was when he was sold for £40m.

Not desperate to sell Big Joe, but he strikes me as someone who might be wise to sell now and someone who is possible to get a good sum for.

And watch opposition teams bypassing our midfield with ease on a regular basis?  No thanks. 

Yeah I'd have Kelly if we're expecting Lascelles, Dummett and Targett to depart. I know free transfers are never free but he would seem a shrewd signing in those circumstances.

Billing to replace Joelinton seems far more underwhelming. I guess it may be that if we have to box clever with funds, then it's an exchange that could bring in decent money to spend elsewhere.

There are a lot of similarities between Billing and Joelinton in the centre of midfield.

I think we overrate Joelinton as fans on his ability in the middle, the best we have seen of him here is wide left with Willock filling the left central midfield slot.

6 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Onana and Billing doesn't feel like a proper step forward imo. Quality before quantity imo. Waste of money imo.

If we keep Joelinton and Willock then surely it's fine?

Bruno

Tonali

Joelinton

Willock

Onana/Billing

Longstaff

Miley/Anderson 

Even if Longstaff was sold to balance the books for FFP and it pushes Anderson up one, I think that'd be an impressive pool.

41 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we keep Joelinton and Willock then surely it's fine?

Bruno

Tonali

Joelinton

Willock

Onana/Billing

Longstaff

Miley/Anderson 

Even if Longstaff was sold to balance the books for FFP and it pushes Anderson up one, I think that'd be an impressive pool.

Apart from that it doesn't exactly improve our 1st team. Depth? Yes. Don't see the point of signing players that don't improve our starting 11 properly. Quality is vital imo, and then let some of the current players become backup/squad players.

38 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Onana feels very much like Gordon, in terms of he has a lot of natural talent there, he just hasn't put it all together yet.

Personally i don't think he's good enough technically to improve one of our weaknesses properly, like ball retention/possession/passing and press resistance. He would cost more than i think it's worth. He could prove to be a "bargain" but i'd rather see us put our money elsewehere.

Edited by Ikon

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't know if any of them are "really good players". 1 of them can't even stay it. None of them have excellent reputations in the game in comparison to a Nathan Ake.

I think we need a top CB/LB. A Nathan Ake would actually be perfect for us especially if Howe wants to stick to the same profile as Burn.

If we sell multiple squad players - bringing in cheap squad players is a good idea.

Ake is one of the best 1 v 1 defenders in England. 

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

There are a lot of similarities between Billing and Joelinton in the centre of midfield.

I think we overrate Joelinton as fans on his ability in the middle, the best we have seen of him here is wide left with Willock filling the left central midfield slot.

Arguably his best performance was as a midfielder against Man U when we drew 1-1 in December 2021, not long after he changed positions.  I'm sure there have been plenty of games where he has played in the midfield 3 and been MOTM or close to it this season and Willock has barely played.  Chelsea, Man U and Milan all at home he was brilliant in midfield, from memory.  Arsenal?  I'm sure there are some I've missed.  We have certainly missed him since sunderland. 

A very simplistic way of viewing it saying his best performances come from wide left.  The tactical versatility of both players when Willock is on that side meant they would dovetail really well and switch seamlessly between both roles.  The joke always being that Joelinton seems to play 2-3 positions at once.   

Personally think he is far more effective in the box to box role and it's only really his passing that lets him down.  Meaning it might see him moved on.  Well......  That, FFP and wage demands.    

I know Billing is not as good as Joelinton, but I do think a Billing, Bruno, Tonali midfield is a bit more technical and balanced. Make a profit on Joelinton and spend the profit on a young striker.