NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

6 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

And one the year before that. i hope Miggy has a great year but his last one is a bit of an outlier. 

All our players improved through better coaching and better tactics. Sell the lot I say.

Edited by Unbelievable

The thing about the FFP/sell-to-buy line - I always come back to the same thought, what would our budget have been if we hadn't qualified for the CL?

If its Tonoli for £50m and Barnes for £35m and that £85m has cleared us out how much would we be spending if we'd finished 5th? Or lower? 

4 hours ago, Alberto2005 said:

Sorry aye let's sell Botman and get Lejuene back in ?

We're a CL team now, Almiron and Murphy aren't good enough if we want to stay up there.

Murphy would be the one I'd sell. I'm sure Sheff Utd or Burnley would think £16-20m would be worthwhile. 

I know Almiron probably won't score 10+ goals again but you know what you get with him. I'm not convinced Murphy will have a season like last season again and that was without great numbers either. 

14 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

The thing about the FFP/sell-to-buy line - I always come back to the same thought, what would our budget have been if we hadn't qualified for the CL?

If its Tonoli for £50m and Barnes for £35m and that £85m has cleared us out how much would we be spending if we'd finished 5th? Or lower? 

We'd have sold Bruno for 70 million

Genuinely shocked at how ruthless sone are on here regarding selling Almiron, Murphy, Maxi.  It’s very different to the conversations I have in real life with mates, colleagues, family.

Is this a case of people who’ve played football manager too much and just see our squad as names on a screen with set attributes and forget the human element?  

Are we as fans that disloyal (works both ways) to e.g. Almiron who scored double figures and just held an NUFC birthday party for his son?  To Murphy who has become a cult hero and is the perfect versatile squad player who let’s face it won’t be on big money?

Scott Sellars lost his place in the team to Ginola and was subsequently sold.  Ruel Fox lost his place to Gillespie and was subsequently sold.  Unless and until these players lose their spot to someone better - or someone offers a fee significantly above market value (which I guess is a point of debate) there is nothing to discuss for me.

I agree. It’s mind boggling how many people want to carve up a successful team that has bonded and achieved two massive things that literally have not been seen in almost a generation - a cup final and CL qualification.

But nah, ship them out to buy someone else. They’re not good enough.

As above… buy first and then move on. This is a long term project.

Edited by Fatwax

In one thread you've got people questioning why Barnes will be the last incoming without sales, in the next one we have people advocating keeping the likes of Murphy who'll be a fringe player, when we already have Gillespie, Dummett, Ritchie. We're going to have to trim from somewhere. 

9 minutes ago, Fatwax said:

I agree. It’s mind boggling how many people want to carve up a successful team that has bonded and achieved two massive things that literally have not been seen in almost a generation - a cup final and CL qualification.

Which is fine in principle but we’re now in a world where a strange set of financial handcuffs can create the need for fire sales or risk European lockout which, in a circular reference, probably means letting your best players leave for potential trigger clauses. Unlike all the other cunts any deal we do with a Saudi club will be drilled into amidst huge gnashing of teeth and caterwauling.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

In one thread you've got people questioning why Barnes will be the last incoming without sales, in the next one we have people advocating keeping the likes of Murphy who'll be a fringe player, when we already have Gillespie, Dummett, Ritchie. We're going to have to trim from somewhere. 

It’s a tricky one. We do have to trim, but think it’ll be done in a gradual and respectful way.
As obsessed as Eddie (funny, but I still pause/am not sure what name to use for him) is regarding results, he is very human and a large part of his excellent leadership is relationship based. If someone is giving their all, is fully engaged and a positive influence on the squad, as long as he feels they can contribute (and aren’t wasting their young years) then it would be necessity rather than ruthless pursuit of potentially better options which will determine who goes when. 

This was from Howe in May:

"Dan [Ashworth, director of football] has made the point to me about trading being an important part of our future. That does not necessarily mean selling your best players, but trading with FFP rules can be a good thing for your finances," he continued.

I'm happy regardless tbh.

We have a plan, it might be a case we get the odd window where we only sign 1 or 2. We're in an area of the league now where upgrading what we have and getting players to challenge the teams above us is going to cost a lot of cash. 

If we finish 6th or 7th next season, then fine. I've no doubt the club know what they're doing and we'll be in an even stronger position in 3-4 years time than we are now. 

20 minutes ago, Fatwax said:

This is what most fans forget! There is a long term goal and we are way ahead of schedule! Strap youselves in and enjoy the ride!

11 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Which is fine in principle but we’re now in a world where a strange set of financial handcuffs can create the need for fire sales or risk European lockout which, in a circular reference, probably means letting your best players leave for potential trigger clauses. Unlike all the other cunts any deal we do with a Saudi club will be drilled into amidst huge gnashing of teeth and caterwauling.

Yeah and I 100% appreciate that sales will need to be made, that the team will change and evolve and that sometimes you have to sacrifice a player to improve. 

My issue is the posts that are becoming more and more common of people saying to just sell player X, Y or Z for the sake of bringing in someone else.

We have only a handful of ‘legacy’ players that would bring in any kind of fee. That doesn’t mean that we necessarily cut and run at the first opportunity.

It’s going to come down to which players garner some interest. We talk about selling players but they will also only move to something they see as a good transfer for them. Either for money or a good opportunity. 

It's depressing reading a post from someone saying its depressing having Miggy & Murphy as RWers but then they quantify that statement with "we're a Champions league team now" 

Depression turns to pity

Edited by Groundhog63

11 hours ago, Alberto2005 said:

What would people prefer, LB or RW?

The thought of Almiron and Murphy as our first choice RW is depressing. I reckon I'd rather have a RW than LB.

I'd prefer a LB, to boost our attacking options as much as defensive. Any time the ball goes near Dan Burn I start to worry now.