NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 hours ago, STM said:

Willock is one step away from being one of the best progressive midfielders in the league. That one step is him putting the ball in the back of the net. He could have had 10+ last year had his finish not alluded him, he'd had a bit of luck/confidence.

I think he's got almost everything. He's getting better and better too.

And I was one step away from being semi-pro! It’s seriously fine margins at PL level.

Can Willock add end product to his game? Hopefully, but there are no guarantees. Forgive me for being cut-throat but I’d rather we signed a genuinely class, guaranteed improvement and if Willock fulfils his potential, great problem to have! 

Wilshere was touted as the next world class CM maestro not long ago and ended up having an underwhelming career. He was much higher rated than Willock and ended up a journeyman. 

I often don't understand the reasoning of people (generally) but here it often goes along the lines of 'but if our best players are out, then we won't have 100% best players! We must sign more of the best!'.

Strengthening comes in many forms, and I sincerely doubt the coaching team don't want to improve things wherever possible. I don't think that's always going to be via signing new players, esp. as we know how limited we are right now in that area.

Also, things are going to go wrong during a season. Whatever happens, you can guarantee that.

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

And I was one step away from being semi-pro! It’s seriously fine margins at PL level.

Can Willock add end product to his game? Hopefully, but there are no guarantees. Forgive me for being cut-throat but I’d rather we signed a genuinely class, guaranteed improvement and if Willock fulfils his potential, great problem to have! 

Wilshere was touted as the next world class CM maestro not long ago and ended up having an underwhelming career. He was much higher rated than Willock and ended up a journeyman. I

Wilshere was hampered by injuries, which stopped him from progressing, he would have been world class if injuries didnt plague him. Willock is 23 and has plenty of time to improve under Eddie. I rate him higher than Connor Gallagher who is valued at 40 million and is in the England squad. 

How much do you think willock and longstaff are worth? 

2 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

Wilshere was hampered by injuries, which stopped him from progressing, he would have been world class if injuries didnt plague him. Willock is 23 and has plenty of time to improve under Eddie. I rate him higher than Connor Gallagher who is valued at 40 million and is in the England squad. 

How much do you think willock and longstaff are worth? 

I'll hop in although not directed at me. As much as someone would pay is the worth which might sound like I'm avoiding the question. I  honestly don't know what teams would pay for younger English players that show promise exactly. These two to be precise.  I would expect it to be inflated but unless an offer ensues hard to say.

At this point probably worth mentioning that anyone we sign henceforth has missed pre-season and we all know how Howe is with players who aren’t properly conditioned / tactically prepared.

9 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

You’re never going to get 100% of our transfers bang on. We haven’t had a 100% hit rate under the new ownership. 

Our squad isn’t stronger than Spurs. We would swap our entire frontline with theirs. Our squad is far behind Man U.   If we had the injuries Man U had in defence we would’ve finished 8th. 

We’ve got the 7th/8th strongest squad in the league. That’s where we should be based on what we’ve spent. 

Thankfully our manager is getting 110% from everyone which will hopefully continue to push us up the league.  

Completely disagree with everything you've said but then I normally do. [emoji38]

27 minutes ago, James said:

At this point probably worth mentioning that anyone we sign henceforth has missed pre-season and we all know how Howe is with players who aren’t properly conditioned / tactically prepared.

Yes, even if someone came in tomorrow they are going to miss the first 3-4 games at least. This isn’t Bruce ball, they aren’t getting thrown straight in. 

16 minutes ago, STM said:

Completely disagree with everything you've said but then I normally do. [emoji38]

ManU has a lot stronger squad than we have. And they have made good signings. Spurs still has strong squad, but many of those players don't fit Ange's style and Kane is on the way out. If he leaves we are pretty much on par with them.

Just now, KingArthur said:

ManU has a lot stronger squad than we have. And they have made good signings. Spurs still has strong squad, but many of those players don't fit Ange's style and Kane is on the way out. If he leaves we are pretty much on par with them.

I don't think beyond their first team, they have a strong squad at all (Man Utd), I don't think their signings improve them much at all.

As for Spurs.... [emoji38]

Kane is an exceptional player, of course but I don't rate many of their squad at all. Son isn't the player he was. Bentancur is a good player. I wouldn't swap any of our defenders or midfielders for theirs. I'd rather have Villa's squad than Spurs.

8 hours ago, Holmesy said:

Wilshere was touted as the next world class CM maestro not long ago and ended up having an underwhelming career. He was much higher rated than Willock and ended up a journeyman. 

Willock has already shown end product here though, he scored 7 games in a row when he was here on loan in his first season. Since then he's scored less often, but his all round game is far better. It might just be a case of him having a season where he puts it altogether and becomes a genuine superstar. Even if he doesn't, he's still a high impact player in most games he starts.

This thread just shows, no matter how exceptional your success has been and how far your club has come, some people just aren't happy and never will be.

Give certain individuals the opportunity to be negative rather than positive and they will always choose the former and then hide behind "just telling it how it is".

We finished 4th last year and have improved. There's absolutely nothing to say we won't finish top 6 this year. Which, for me, would be a good season. 

1 minute ago, STM said:

This thread just shows, no matter how exceptional your success has been and how far your club has come, some people just aren't happy and never will be.

Give certain individuals the opportunity to be negative rather than positive and they will always choose the former and then hide behind "just telling it how it is".

We finished 4th last year and have improved. There's absolutely nothing to say we won't finish top 6 this year. Which, for me, would be a good season. 

I get your point, but finishing 4th and then finishing 6th is not improving, it's literally going backwards. 

10 minutes ago, STM said:

I don't think beyond their first team, they have a strong squad at all (Man Utd), I don't think their signings improve them much at all.

Kane is an exceptional player, of course but I don't rate many of their squad at all. Son isn't the player he was. Bentancur is a good player. I wouldn't swap any of our defenders or midfielders for theirs. I'd rather have Villa's squad than Spurs.

Kulusevski would get a game for us I reckon.

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Kulusevski would get a game for us I reckon.

Fair but he's not the player people think he is. Miggy was better than him last season.

Just now, Holmesy said:

I get your point, but finishing 4th and then finishing 6th is not improving, it's literally going backwards. 

Finishing 4th was a miracle in the first place man. Have you seen the spending of the clubs around us this summer?

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Depends if you know what context is.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Only four weeks of this madness to go.

They really have to close the window before the season starts… ideally a couple of weeks before. It’s mental having it run on so long. 

I hate transfer rumours and the debate around them like, so I am biased. 

Just now, TRon said:

Finishing 4th was a miracle in the first place man. Have you seen the spending of the clubs around us this summer?

It's such a simple concept. It's getting painful having to point this stuff out. We are ahead of ourselves.

Just now, STM said:

It's such a simple concept. It's getting painful having to point this stuff out. We are ahead of ourselves.

Not to mention we aren't in a position to spend our way to the top like our rivals.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Fair but he's not the player people think he is. Miggy was better than him last season.

We'll see, Spurs were a mess last season almost all of them want backwards under Conte and that boring Italian they replaced him with for 4 games. I don't think Miggy is any great shakes, had a spectacular purple patch where anything he hit flew in and he definitely works non-stop but ability wise I think Kulusevski is better.

10 minutes ago, STM said:

Son had a bad season, but you really cannot say if he is done. He scored as many as Isak last season still. I think they and Liverpool will score a lot next season, but also ship in too many. 

Spurs will get 1-2 centrebacks. Seems like they are getting Van de Ven. 

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

We'll see, Spurs were a mess last season almost all of them want backwards under Conte and that boring Italian they replaced him with for 4 games. I don't think Miggy is any great shakes, had a spectacular purple patch where anything he hit flew in and he definitely works non-stop but ability wise I think Kulusevski is better.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but it's not clear cut and that confirms my point about Spurs.

It isn’t about people never being happy, it is about people wanting to see the club build on this success and push forward by strengthening those positions where they believe we are at our weakest.

If you don’t do that and everyone around you does then the likely hood is you fall away.

We can’t rest on our laurels if we want to be considered a threat to the establishment clubs.