NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

If we are getting battered down our left hand side in the first four games by Diaby, Silva, Salah and Enciso then it’s fair to ask why we are starting the season with Dan Burn at left back instead of upgrading on the position, since it is a clear weakness in the starting eleven.

35 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I just don’t see that, to be honest.

Almiron was one of our stand out performers for half of last season. Murphy played really well when called upon. We also have Gordon who can play there.

RB and RCB are priorities IMO. The rest can wait.

Im not saying that it should be a priority over CB and LB. But none of the ones you mentioned gives me much confidence against teams that sit back and kill all the space. Teams this season will be more aware and less naive and try to avoid giving us too many transitions or space in behind. Low block defending, especially from the lesser teams. If we want to evolve then I’d rather not see Murphy start too many games for us. 

Why did so many on here mention a right sided player (most did) as what we really should get. Suddenly many on here don’t think it’s needed. I’m not demanding it, and won’t get pissed off about it. Just what I think we really need.

Edited by Ikon

16 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

If we are getting battered down our left hand side in the first four games by Diaby, Silva, Salah and Enciso then it’s fair to ask why we are starting the season with Dan Burn at left back instead of upgrading on the position, since it is a clear weakness in the starting eleven.

In fairness we didn’t get battered by any of them last season. 

39 minutes ago, Ben said:

Thats a rather negative Nelly appraisal, I'm not sure where you see us this season but I reckon Villa, Spurs and Brighton is our level, I think with a good run we can challenge Man U and Chelsea for 4th but our wage bill must be 25% of the top 6. Champions league will be a blast this season but bringing in 5 £50 million players with wages to match could bring the whole good vibes at the club crashing down.

Yeah, it was a fairly negative view of a squad that played and finished amazingly last season.

But you have to improve, firstly because everyone else is and secondly, because every team has spent since last season analysing us and figuring out ways to beat us. Going into a season with some unknown factors usually helps.

I guess we’ll see where we end up at the end of the transfer window, but given how long it takes Eddie to get players up to speed, early signings would’ve made a lot more sense. I realise it’s not Football Manager but come on 🤷🏻‍♂️

23 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m including Gordon, Barnes and the concrete links to Livramento.  

Our forays into Ligue 1 has landed us relative bargains. 

Aye, Jack j mentioned that. Not like me to come in mid conversation like a blundering fool :laugh:

19 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

In fairness we didn’t get battered by any of them last season. 

That doesn’t justify not improving our worst positions in the starting eleven though, teams were targeting Burn in the second half of the season and they will do it again.

29 minutes ago, LV said:

Man, I absolutely can not wait for the pre-match meltdowns again this season. 

Personally can't wait for 5 minutes into the match threads... 'Eddie needs to change things he's been found out now' 

28 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

That doesn’t justify not improving our worst positions in the starting eleven though, teams were targeting Burn in the second half of the season and they will do it again.

Any thoughts that Howe might not see things like you?

He MIGHT see Dan Burn as an asset who helped us have the equal meanest defence in the league, he MIGHT look at Miggy as our top goalscoring midfielder and someone who carries out his press exactly how he wants.

I've yet to hear anyone come up with a left back who doesn't cost 40m+, who can defend and attack with equal quality.

8 minutes ago, STM said:

Any thoughts that Howe might not see things like you?

He MIGHT see Dan Burn as an asset who helped us have the equal meanest defence in the league, he MIGHT look at Miggy as our top goalscoring midfielder and someone who carries out his press exactly how he wants.

I've yet to hear anyone come up with a left back who doesn't cost 40m+, who can defend and attack with equal quality.

He can see both of those things and still realise that they are the weakest positions in the first team now we have upgraded in midfield. If he doesn’t then where does he see the weaknesses? If we don’t improve the first team then we go backwards, as our rivals will continue to improve.

I like how we lauded Ashworth coming in to bring in similar signings like he did at Brighton and now we can’t find a better left back in world football who is better than Dan Burn for less than £40 million! 

47 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Perhaps it’s limited budget and not enough money to buy someone better than what we have. Burn is more than decent and the defence was more efficient than the attack last season and maybe that’s where the money was focussed as the best way of getting better results. Turn some of the many draws into wins. 

3 hours ago, OCK said:

Wow Beth. Wow. Just coming in here thinking you're an elite level scout able to judge ability on haircuts like that. It took me years of shitposting to achieve my qualification. Years. 

What a shit comeback. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Just because a team buys a new player, even a highly rated one, does not equate to an automatic team improvement. They may be slightly stronger, as a team, they may not. If every player bought automatically improved the team the premier league would have probably left the atmosphere by now.

I don't recall Burn getting consistetnly rinsed by any attacker last season, now and again yes, but not throughout the 90m. I would agree we need more strength in depth, and especially more pace in defence, but I guess every hole needing darning can't get fixed in one window. The recruitment team will be doing their best within the limits being shoved in their faces, time will tell.

6 hours ago, LFEE said:

4 hours ago, Beth said:

I hope their footballing ability is better than their haircuts.

I wondered what happened to Jock and Conor

image.thumb.png.3c676ec7e000a85bd6ea2f26fbc73864.png

Edited by TK-421

3 hours ago, STM said:

I wasn't.

Other clubs may sign 10 players and get 5 of them right, where as our approach seems to be to sign 3/4 every year (slow and steady) and nail every one of them.

So far, whether it be an absolute banger like Tonali/Isak or a smart domestic signing like Gordon/Barnes, each one has added value to us and is nudging our squad further and further up the pecking order.

Let me ask this, who's squad is ours comparable to? IMO it's better than Spurs, especially when Kane leaves, it's not quite alongside Liverpool or Arsenal (and obviously City). Its probably on par with Man Uniteds, at current, who have just spent 10m more on that lad from Atalanta than we did on Isak (I know who I'd prefer). 

To say we've got a squad even close to Man United in under 2 years is an absolute astonishing achievement. Imagine what it will be like in another 2?

You’re never going to get 100% of our transfers bang on. We haven’t had a 100% hit rate under the new ownership. 

Our squad isn’t stronger than Spurs. We would swap our entire frontline with theirs. Our squad is far behind Man U.   If we had the injuries Man U had in defence we would’ve finished 8th. 

We’ve got the 7th/8th strongest squad in the league. That’s where we should be based on what we’ve spent. 

Thankfully our manager is getting 110% from everyone which will hopefully continue to push us up the league.  

Are yous gonna start throwing pencils at her head and pull her hair when the teachers not looking? Christ! put the pop down and gan to bed eh. 

Maybe some transfer news/rumours tomorrow getting further towards the weekend. Would be nice to get one in this week and one/two next. 

27 minutes ago, Pata said:

Much worse trouble if Trippier is injured and we fail to sign Livramento.

Not just the injuries either, Trippier is 33 soon. He may well be an absolute professional but that won't mean he can play 40+ games in a season.

Livramento or another quality RB is essential to our season.