NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

7 hours ago, The Prophet said:

To be fair, people make these kinds of statements every window. 

I distinctly remember the usual characters saying our failure to upgrade X position in January would cost us, and yet here we are in the Champions League. It's never as simple as "just buy all the players m8, this football stuff is a piece of piss".

Barnes, Tonali and an upgrade/added depth in LB (include Livramento in that) and I'm pretty happy. Would always want more - but trust the people in charge to make the right choices both for the season ahead and for the long-term. At the end of the day, they know more than we do.

I think the feeling of disappointment around this transfer window is triggering my Ashley PTSD. 
I know we’ve signed two international players but it’s hardly been the most exciting window for us. I think we were all hoping for much more by this stage.

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I think the feeling of disappointment around this transfer window is triggering my Ashley PTSD. 
I know we’ve signed two international players but it’s hardly been the most exciting window for us. I think we were all hoping for much more by this stage.

I wasn't.

Other clubs may sign 10 players and get 5 of them right, where as our approach seems to be to sign 3/4 every year (slow and steady) and nail every one of them.

So far, whether it be an absolute banger like Tonali/Isak or a smart domestic signing like Gordon/Barnes, each one has added value to us and is nudging our squad further and further up the pecking order.

Let me ask this, who's squad is ours comparable to? IMO it's better than Spurs, especially when Kane leaves, it's not quite alongside Liverpool or Arsenal (and obviously City). Its probably on par with Man Uniteds, at current, who have just spent 10m more on that lad from Atalanta than we did on Isak (I know who I'd prefer). 

To say we've got a squad even close to Man United in under 2 years is an absolute astonishing achievement. Imagine what it will be like in another 2?

I think my fear is the lack of faith beyond what we played last season. The fringe players we have are the championship fodder we have had for a number of years. So far its 2 first 11 in and 1 out means we have effectively added only 1 player to our match day squad. Think due to ffp the club is banking on the flexibility of our front 6 to see us through. Risky as not sure if we will always be as lucky injury wise. 

Hoping the club remain active and are now thinking towards end of window there will be more movement either with selling clubs finally blinking and being more reasonable on price or more movement in general. I wonder if Howe can be persuaded to change his policy on loans if needs be to help with the long season.

15 minutes ago, STM said:

I wasn't.

Other clubs may sign 10 players and get 5 of them right, where as our approach seems to be to sign 3/4 every year (slow and steady) and nail every one of them.

So far, whether it be an absolute banger like Tonali/Isak or a smart domestic signing like Gordon/Barnes, each one has added value to us and is nudging our squad further and further up the pecking order.

Let me ask this, who's squad is ours comparable to? IMO it's better than Spurs, especially when Kane leaves, it's not quite alongside Liverpool or Arsenal (and obviously City). Its probably on par with Man Uniteds, at current, who have just spent 10m more on that lad from Atalanta than we did on Isak (I know who I'd prefer). 

To say we've got a squad even close to Man United in under 2 years is an absolute astonishing achievement. Imagine what it will be like in another 2?

I get where you’re coming from but it’s the lack of depth and balance that concerns me.

People rave about Willock but he has no end product.

Wilson is injury prone and we only have Isak behind him.

Almiron had a good season but he’s not top drawer.

Trippier is our only RB and we don’t have a first team LB. Burn looks to be our backup option but that’s a depressing thought.

Schar or Botman get injured and the replacements are a significant step down.

It’s not all negative obviously. We’ve got some great quality but there are glaring gaps.
With full first teams out, I’d say we’re on a par with Spurs and Man Utd. I’m more worried about Villa this season though.

Would Almiron, Burn, Targett, Murphy or Willock get into any of their squads, let alone first teams?

Edited by Holmesy

12 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

I think my fear is the lack of faith beyond what we played last season. The fringe players we have are the championship fodder we have had for a number of years. So far its 2 first 11 in and 1 out means we have effectively added only 1 player to our match day squad. Think due to ffp the club is banking on the flexibility of our front 6 to see us through. Risky as not sure if we will always be as lucky injury wise. 

Hoping the club remain active and are now thinking towards end of window there will be more movement either with selling clubs finally blinking and being more reasonable on price or more movement in general. I wonder if Howe can be persuaded to change his policy on loans if needs be to help with the long season.

have a few of them not already been pushed down the pecking order due to the emergence of Miley, Anderson and A. Murphy though?

plus it would appear we are bringing in another raft of 18 year olds just under the first team level too. I think everyone forgets that the likes of Jamie McClen and Martin Brittain played for us when we were in a similar position under SBR.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Would Almiron, Burn, Targett, Murphy or Willock get into any of their squads, let alone first teams?

Maybe not, but I’d wager a few of their squad players would look a hell of a lot more competent under Howe than they do at their current teams.

The way I see our squad right now (out of 10):

GK: Pope 8, Dubravka 6.5, Karius 5.5

RB: Tripper 9, Krafth 6.5, Manquillo 6

CB: Schar 8, Botman 8, Lascelles 6, Burn 7, Dummett 4

LB: Burn 7, Targett 7, Richie? 4

CM: Bruno 9, Tonali 8, Joelinton 8, Longstaff 7.5, Willock 7.5, Anderson 7, Miley ~

RW: Miggy 7, Murphy 6.5

LW: Barnes 7.5, Gordon 7.5

ST: Wilson 8.5, Isak 9

Note: I don't know why I did this, was just bored. [emoji38]

I don’t agree regarding that we have enough in the wide areas. We need a quality right sided player imo. And have needed for I don’t know how many windows. Preferably a left footed one, creative.

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Willock would get into their squads easily

Willock is one step away from being one of the best progressive midfielders in the league. That one step is him putting the ball in the back of the net. He could have had 10+ last year had his finish not alluded him, he'd had a bit of luck/confidence.

I think he's got almost everything. He's getting better and better too.

Just now, STM said:

Willock is one step away from being one of the best progressive midfielders in the league. That one step is him putting the ball in the back of the net. He could have had 10+ last year had his finish not alluded him, he'd had a bit of luck/confidence.

Hes streets ahead of Gallagher at Chelsea. No idea how hes in the England squad. 

15 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I get where you’re coming from but it’s the lack of depth and balance that concerns me.

People rave about Willock but he has no end product.

Wilson is injury prone and we only have Isak behind him.

Almiron had a good season but he’s not top drawer.

Trippier is our only RB and we don’t have a first team LB. Burn looks to be our backup option but that’s a depressing thought.

Schar or Botman get injured and the replacements are a significant step down.

It’s not all negative obviously. We’ve got some great quality but there are glaring gaps.
With full first teams out, I’d say we’re on a par with Spurs and Man Utd. I’m more worried about Villa this season though.

Thats a rather negative Nelly appraisal, I'm not sure where you see us this season but I reckon Villa, Spurs and Brighton is our level, I think with a good run we can challenge Man U and Chelsea for 4th but our wage bill must be 25% of the top 6. Champions league will be a blast this season but bringing in 5 £50 million players with wages to match could bring the whole good vibes at the club crashing down.

12 minutes ago, STM said:

I saw one of those highlight reels of Willock on Facebook at the end of the season and honestly, if that was a player we were linked with, everyone would be creaming over it.

20 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I don’t agree regarding that we have enough in the wide areas. We need a quality right sided player imo. And have needed for I don’t know how many windows. Preferably a left footed one, creative.

I just don’t see that, to be honest.

Almiron was one of our stand out performers for half of last season. Murphy played really well when called upon. We also have Gordon who can play there.

RB and RCB are priorities IMO. The rest can wait.

The worst thing is, our first fixtures are horrific. It’s gonna give fans the perfect excuse to blame the lack of incoming players. 

I’d be confident that 2 incoming players covering in defence will see us improve.

Just now, Shearergol said:

The worst thing is, our first fixtures are horrific. It’s gonna give fans the perfect excuse to blame the lack of incoming players. 

I’d be confident that 2 incoming players covering in defence will see us improve.

Happened last season after a slow start.

10 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I prefer getting games like that out the way and going by our defence last season it’s difficult to just judge them on the first few pre-season friendlies. There’s no doubt we need more strength at left/right-back and possibly centrally, but I’m more pleased that we have better attacking options this time around. 

Edited by Geordie Boyo

6 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

That’ll say more about those fans than it does about the team/ management / club

5 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Surely that is the reason to sign better players though, to give us a better chance of beating the more difficult teams.

People make signing players sound so easy.

’Just go and get better players’ 

This isn’t our philosophy or model. It’s slow and steady, with the right kind of players with the right mentality. That takes time and a lot of scouting as well as probably months of courting the players representatives.

And all this within the parameters of FFP too. 

Edited by LV

1 hour ago, Bimpy474 said:

For the same reason we kept getting linked with expensive players under Ashley mate, it's pure bullshit. And now we're back at the top end, the bullshit means more clicks than ever. Our name will be chucked into all sorts of nonsense transfer wise.

I’m including Gordon, Barnes and the concrete links to Livramento.  

Our forays into Ligue 1 has landed us relative bargains.