NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

It just isn't as simple as you're making out. Plans and targets can be fluid and readjusted if your momentum/achievement is greater than you forecasted. It comes down to aggression of ambition, and personally i'm disappointed that we don't look to be building significantly on our achievement, despite it being ahead of where we thought we'd be. 

Again, Everton spent aggressively and look at them. We can't just pluck a 50m a season shirt sponsor out of our arse.

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

It just isn't as simple as you're making out. Plans and targets can be fluid and readjusted if your momentum/achievement is greater than you forecasted. It comes down to aggression of ambition, and personally i'm disappointed that we don't look to be building significantly on our achievement, despite it being ahead of where we thought we'd be. 

Hopefully when the champions league fixtures are announced and the games start, you might be able to get out of your disappointment and enjoy the football.

Sorry on behalf of the club though, that you are struggling with what is happening.

It’s disappointing as fuck being a Newcastle fan…….. :dowie:

Edited by reefatoon

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Out of interest, what would you want us to do differently?

Plug the glaring gaps in our squad and build greater strength in depth. As people have pointed out, we're at risk if any or some of Burn, Tripper, Schar, Botman, Wilson and Isak, Miggy, Barnes get injured. And by screwed, obviously we have players who can fill in but the step down is significant.

We have a CB playing at LB and our right side options aren't good enough for a Champions League campaign (IMO).

All i'm saying is I would've expected us to sign 3/4 first team players in key positions by now. I'm not talking about a squad overhaul in one window. It's realistic concern based on the above. I don't want us to go into the CL with Jacob Murphy at right wing because Miggy is injured. I'd rather we went in with a quality right forward and Miggy as our backup. It's not an outrageous concept.

Edited by Holmesy

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I've no idea what you mean by "aggression of ambition" unless you're saying we have loads of spending room and aren't doing it because we are happy to be where we are ?

Just now, Holmesy said:

we're screwed if Burn, Tripper, Schar, Botman, Wilson and Isak, Miggy, Barnes get injured.

Any side in the league that isn't Man City would be screwed with an injury crisis like that. We can't spend 200m this window, as much as people seem to want to. 

5 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Hopefully when the champions league fixtures are announced and the games start, you might be able to get out of your disappointment and enjoy the football.

Sorry on behalf of the club though, that you are struggling with what is happening.

It’s disappointing as fuck being a Newcastle fan…….. :dowie:

Calm down with the drama pal. I'm not saying we're shit and the club is in crisis. This is the Transfer Rumours thread and we're discussing the club's transfer activity. You've been in here long enough to know people don't necessarily agree with each other and that's ok. I'm not slagging the club off, i'm just expressing disappointment that we haven't done more (yet). We might end the window with a flurry of amazing first team signings. If not, i'll enjoy the season like everyone else. 

Edited by Holmesy

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Any side in the league that isn't Man City would be screwed with an injury crisis like that. We can't spend 200m this window, as much as people seem to want to. 

I wasn't suggesting all of them at the same time [emoji38]

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

[emoji38] exactly.

We would be screwed if our whole team got injured. [emoji38] Lunatic.

10 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

[emoji38] exactly.

We would be screwed if our whole team got injured. [emoji38] Lunatic.

I've made a correction to the post because what i meant obviously wasn't clear. Fuck me, this site has almost gone the other way - any post that isn't unbridled joy or non-objective discussion is absolutely unacceptable!

I'm not absolutely delighted we're going into a CL campaign with Dan Burn at left back but it seems anyone who doesn't share that opinion isn't a true fan.  

Edited by Holmesy

2 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

The window isn't over yet so things can change, but we are one CB injury away from Lascelles playing against the likes of Real Madrid in the champions league, in fact is Schar even declared fit after that knock the other week? I dont think its out there to suggest we need to do a bit more.

Careful mate. Get your helmet on

Love how every other day we get an article about adding personel to our corporate structure, adding personel to our backroom staff, adding players and staff to our academy.

Articles on the club planning to improve the stadium and training ground. Articles on growing the brand world wide

"Fooking club isn't building on last season"  

Edited by TBG

3 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

No one said it mate but that seems to be the suggestion on here

Don't see anyone suggesting that buddy. Think the overwhelming majority on here accept Burn isnt the answer going forward either in the PL or CL but given our FFP restrictions we can't go gung-ho in the market. We'll still sign players this summer, and it'll be a few transfer windows yet before we've got a real quality squad if we're obeying the FFP rules.

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

No one said it mate but that seems to be the suggestion on here

But it's not is it

People would love us to sign 6 or 7 new players and improve the squad drastically. But we are having to tread very carefully due to the shite ffp rules

Surely you see that?

Look at the ticket fiasco if you think nobody has a bad word to say about the club btw

Guest reefatoon
8 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I've made a correction to the post because what i meant obviously wasn't clear. Fuck me, this site has almost gone the other way - any post that isn't unbridled joy or non-objective discussion is absolutely unacceptable!

I'm not absolutely delighted we're going into a CL campaign with Dan Burn at left back but it seems anyone who doesn't share that opinion isn't a true fan.  

Poor Dan Burn, you would think he had been shit or something. [emoji38]

Guest reefatoon
9 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Who said that like?

The thing is, Dan Burn wasn’t even bad last season. [emoji38] Find the hate for him fucking loony [emoji38]

5 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Plug the glaring gaps in our squad and build greater strength in depth. As people have pointed out, we're screwed if Burn, Tripper, Schar, Botman, Wilson and Isak, Miggy, Barnes get injured. And by screwed, obviously we have players who can fill in but the step down is significant.

We have a CB playing at LB and our right side options aren't good enough for a Champions League campaign (IMO).

All i'm saying is I would've expected us to sign 3/4 first team players in key positions by now. I'm not talking about a squad overhaul in one window. It's realistic concern based on the above. I don't want us to go into the CL with Jacob Murphy at right wing because Miggy is injured. I'd rather we went in with a quality right forward and Miggy as our backup. It's not an outrageous concept.

Each to their own, but I always find it fairer to judge a window once it has closed.

Pretty much any squad in the league would struggle without key players, but with Tonali and hopefully Livramento, we're bringing in two players of a quality who prevent a crisis if Tripper or Bruno are injured. We've also added Barnes, who should play way more minutes than ASM and prevent the likes of Joelinton and Isak having to be regularly drafted out of position.

The context of course is this is the owners fourth transfer window. There are still going to be holes in a squad that were relegation candidates a season or so ago. Before the window I'd have said they were at RB, RCB, LB, CM and RW, but due to financial constraints and Howe's (to date successful) squad building philosophy, they weren't all going to be addressed in a single window.

I find it difficult to be particularly disappointed when the owners are still investing substantial amounts on and just as importantly, off the pitch.

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

The thing is, Dan Burn wasn’t even bad last season. [emoji38] Find the hate for him fucking loony [emoji38]

He was excellent for the most part, but also with obvious limitations particularly on moving the ball forward and attacking, do you not see left back as a key area to improve going into a champions league campaign?

Yeah that's my issue here. This narrative that Dan Burn is a poor left back. [emoji38] He was probably top 3/4 left backs in the league last year.

Unless we are signing someone like Joao Cancelo or Theo Hernandez, I really don't see the issue. I'd rather wait for a proper world class left back who would instantly improve us, than take a punt on players who might be better going forward.

The "going into games against real madrid" arguement is a daft one too. Literally cherry picking the hardest side in Europe we could face. If that's the case, we need a new right back too because Trippier might struggle with Vini Jr. [emoji38]