Should we stay or should we go?

Kid Icarus

Should we stay or should we go?  

496 members have voted

1. 1. Stadium expansion vs a new stadium

• Stay - expand St James's Park to the rumoured 65k capacity
    • Go - move to an alternative city centre location

52 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I don't think Spurs stadium acoustics are good at all. It felt absolutely impossible for away end to make any noise carry when I was there, and home end wasn't much better.

The hotdogs were great though.

They’ve designed it to be difficult (the away end).

4 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Dinnington or Ponteland United? Got to stay in the city for me. 

+1. The walkability and public transit is just so good. You don't want nonsense like Brighton. 

Pay SAFC an extortionate amount to go there for a bit while SJP is developed so they have to accept our 'blood money' and play European football, selling it out for a year or two. 

Then all down to the Seaburn Stack in our gravy stained shirts to celebrate. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I think we are missing an option. I'd like to stay in Newcastle, but I'd be happy to move outside as long as it was north of the Tyne.

Aye, stick it on the links the Briardene can become the new Strawberry. After all North Tyneside is home to the hardest and most fervent mags about.

Just ask the mackems when they got chased into the Tyne by North Shields finest.

North Tyneside council loves selling off the green belt so planning permission won’t be a problem. 

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Pay SAFC an extortionate amount to go there for a bit while SJP is developed so they have to accept our 'blood money' and play European football, selling it out for a year or two. 

:idiot2:

3 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I don't think Spurs stadium acoustics are good at all. It felt absolutely impossible for away end to make any noise carry when I was there, and home end wasn't much better.

The hotdogs were great though.

Fans in the lower tiers get soaked as well because the roof doesn't protect from the elements.

The unique thing about your ground is that it is right in the city centre.

I don't think you realise what a difference that makes to the way a club feels to its city, especially as you are a one club city.

You'd be fucking nuts to piss that away and move to some enormous bland-o-dome in the middle of nowhere.

7 hours ago, OpenC said:

We need a sub-poll :lol: to see what the 2s will do when the club says nah, the Leazes Terrace thing is legit and we can't do fuck all about it. To 1 or to 3? 

2, 3, 1, 4

So many people talking about moving the club to Leazes Park. This is completely unfeasible (as it should be) as it has national protection due to being Listed and in a Conservation Area. 

Building a new stadium on Castle Leazes, however, is possible because the Freemen broadly supported such a proposal in the mid '90s.

10 hours ago, wyn davies said:

Quite happy to move stadium just up the road , at the end of the day it's all about whether it's cost effective to stay and improve and the answer is no it isn't. To make United both clubs moved from their previous locations Newcastle East End were at Brough Park I believe,not sure where the West club was so a precident has been set.

Our origins began in 1881 in Byker with Stanley FC/Newcastle East End.

In the demise of Newcastle West End FC, the club moved into (the superior) St.James's Park in 1892 and changed the club's name to Newcastle United. 

Like other upwardly mobile clubs that simply had a name change or stadium move, our inception date should be when the club was formed - 1881. 

7 hours ago, madras said:

Throckas. Still see the Tyne as well.

I'm from Throckley - the lack of pubs and reliable buses would be a nightmare for a new ground.  On the bright side, I can identify entire areas which could be demolished for a new stadium ...

5 hours ago, TomYam said:

So many people talking about moving the club to Leazes Park. This is completely unfeasible (as it should be) as it has national protection due to being Listed and in a Conservation Area. 

Building a new stadium on Castle Leazes, however, is possible because the Freemen broadly supported such a proposal in the mid '90s.

Very true, also instead of building an arena like Sir John wanted, the current SJP could become an extended regenerated Leazes Park. Leazes Terrace would have views over the new park and we could have a Wembley Way going through it to the new stadium, the current land at St James metro could house a new fanzone and huge club shop.

This sort of regeneration would be a great project for PIF and give the city centre a new bigger park right on its door step. Change can sometimes be good if St James is deemed not feasible for redevelopment.

8 hours ago, TomYam said:

When people talk about moving to Leazes Park I think they really mean Castle Leazes and a moder version of the plans the club had in the 90's

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'm from Throckley - the lack of pubs and reliable buses would be a nightmare for a new ground.  On the bright side, I can identify entire areas which could be demolished for a new stadium ...

I wasn't being serious 

I don't think the owners would consider any move beyond the current location. The city council too would not want us to move as it will have an impact on the city's economy in some way. Hence, if there is a need for a location for any new stadium, compromise will be made for an SJP land and Leazes Park exchange. Moving elsewhere is a non-starter for any parties.

Edited by nufcjb