Harvey Barnes

khay

I think it would be a good buy, especially at that price. He has very good close control and knows how to go past people with it. He finds his passes with quicker thinking from a team perspective than our current main left wing main man. Add in a bit of Howe coaching and time he may well go next level.

I understand Maxi is a bit of an icon because of how good he looks with the ball at his feet when in the flow and especially at full speed, but so much comes to absolutely nothing as the end result.

Genuinely think we could look back on this as an upgrade despite current majority thinking.

All that said, that was the Telegraph reported it first. Anyone remember Barella? We got Tonali two weeks later.

NPW, Meh!

Edited by Irish Magpie
NPW

1 minute ago, Disco said:

It’s mad that £35m is what I still think should be a £6-7m transfer. Desperately need to recalibrate my transfer senses.

As you say, even if he’s subpar or it doesn’t work out for whatever reason, he’s easily moved on as per Gordon due to his profile.

Andy Carroll's move to Liverpool adjusted for transfer market inflation is about £102m. That's my measuring stick for transfers now :lol: 

https://www.totallymoney.com/content/transfer-index/data/

Serious question. Whenever we’ve played Leicester in the past couple of seasons has anyone been overly worried about Harvey Barnes? 

Compare that to opposition threads about ASM. He’s a good run and a bit of luck from producing some good figures. 

9 minutes ago, Disco said:

The Chronicle can exclusively reveal that despite both playing in the same position, AND sharing the surname, Harvey is NOT actually related to United’s 1997/8 top scorer…

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I wonder what Howe’s plans for Gordon are, is he going to see him as an attacking midfielder? Play him on the right? That’s one of the biggest mysteries going into this season 

Has done well for the England under 21s up top.

Will probably end being an option there as Wilson's fitness is always a concern.

Sure will also still cover in both wide positions too.

It's not a sexy signing, but if you watch his highlights he strikes the ball really sweetly. Not surprising he scores that many goals, I don't think any of our current wide players come close to that sort of shooting prowess.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

It's not a sexy signing, but if you watch his highlights he strikes the ball really sweetly. Not surprising he scores that many goals, I don't think any of our current wide players come close to that sort of shooting prowess.

With both feet too. And has that lovely curled finish cutting in from the left.

We really could do with better shooting from those areas.

I think this is a really exciting signing to be honest. Tonnes of end product. I assume it means ASM is going, which would be a shame, but maybe Eddie is tempted to try ASM out elsewhere perhaps? Maxi always said his best position was central.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

With both feet too. And has that lovely curled finish cutting in from the left.

We really could do with better shooting from those areas.

Yep. I don't think there's enough appreciation for what a talent that is. I've seen him skip past players too, just doesn't make a big song and dance about it so maybe not as flash as an ASM, and let's be honest, maybe because he's not quite as skilful. But he looks like he plays with economy and intelligence, I can understand why Howe rates him.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Has done well for the England under 21s up top.

Will probably end being an option there as Wilson's fitness is always a concern.

Sure will also still cover in both wide positions too.

With the way Isak plays as a CF, dropping off the front and linking play, I could see Gordon being used as a replacement for him for sure.

Assuming this Barnes thing is a goer, I'm quite interested to see who we bring in at RW. I've been expecting our wing additions to be more creative types who can pick a pass... but with Barnes coming in I do wonder if Eddie wants the wide forwards to be more goalscorer types with Isak bordering on playing as a false nine.

1 minute ago, Shak said:

With the way Isak plays as a CF, dropping off the front and linking play, I could see Gordon being used as a replacement for him for sure.

Assuming this Barnes thing is a goer, I'm quite interested to see who we bring in at RW. I've been expecting our wing additions to be more creative types who can pick a pass... but with Barnes coming in I do wonder if Eddie wants the wide forwards to be more goalscorer types with Isak bordering on playing as a false nine.

It's Chiesa mate.

Dare to dream. :cloud:

I know the cry has been we need more 'creativity' but if you look at our numbers last year finishing was actually probably more of a bigger problem. Barnes keeps it simple, fast and direct he doesn't slow down moves, hold the ball for too long or worry about getting it on to his stronger foot. 

He'd come in and be our third best finisher behind Isak and Wilson I think. There's a good chance his overall game improves here too. Don't think he'll ever by anything too flashy but after watching us consistently waste chances and miss sitters having someone with a bit of composure and that strikes the ball so well is a massive help. 

I think with ASM the decision is basically a medical one. Do the medical team think that his best years are ahead of him physically? I’m guessing the answer is no, so the logical decision would be to move him on while he has value. Barnes is a reliable replacement for this money, though he did suffer from being weak as piss off the ball much like Maddison last season, so that will need improving.

I’d still like a RW though.

Edited by Kimbo

10 minutes ago, Shak said:

Yeah, when the ball goes into Isak's feet, Barnes will definitely  look to make runs in behind for him.

Not something that comes as naturally to ASM who looks to receive the ball short and run at people more often than not.

Could see Barnes scoring a lot in the current Newcastle setup alongside Isak.

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Nothing to do with Barnes as such, but we don't have many left footed attackers do we?

We've got Almiron. Funnily enough, I have said a few times I wish we had someone who could take free kicks with the left foot, but I guess Miggy just doesn't strike the ball particularly well.