Harvey Barnes

khay

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Couple more and we're in very decent nick. Starting to think LB might not be on the cards, which is a shame but I can live with it. CB essential though. 

I was thinking a LB would free up Burn to play CB. 

If either Botman or Schär go down for an extended period, we could have serious trouble. 

49 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Based on maths we certainly could :lol:

I said that the other week - my only gripe about Gordon and Barnes is we could have shelled out their combined fee for 1 truly world class winger imho. 

Gordon, Willock, Isak, Botman, Tonali all under 25. Barnes, Bruno and Longstaff are 25. Joelinton is 26. 9 starting calibre PL players.

A front 6 that’s all got the best years in front of them. 

Barnes - Isak - Gordon

Willock/JL - Bruno - Tonali/Longstaff

Edited by Kanji

I know we can have pages and pages of discourse on whether this is a good deal or a bright idea, but I'm kind of just basking in the glow of us signing 'good players' (even on paper) in weak positions. 

Thinking about this in a more abstract way he’s basically a far, far better version of Fraser isn’t he?

Doesn’t have a trick as such but runs about loads, one touch and pass/cross/hit, wants to get in behind loads. Framing it like that makes more sense as to why Howe wants him.

Do think swapping him for Maxi makes us a little bit more one dimensional especially against deep defences but we shall wait and see I guess. And as I’ve said RE: Gordon even if he’s shit you’re still getting most your £ back.

We need another dusting of superstar quality up top a la Chiesa to keep us covered. 

instead of livramento how about fresneda who we we linked with in January for about 15m. Linked with Bournemouth in bbc gossip

2 hours ago, gdm said:

It’s not even that I don’t rate him so u clearly haven’t been paying attention :lol: I do rate him he’s decent. Just not as good as people are trying to convince themselves he is.
I just don’t think he’s next level. We’ve got a defence that’s getting there, one of the best midfields in the league and we are spending £80m on to wingers that may or may not come good. 

Well he plays more games and gets more goals and assists in the premier League so it's definitely a step up a level. No need to try and convince oneself of anything really.

2 hours ago, brummie said:

Surprised at the lukewarm-ness of this thread.

I really rate Barnes. Decent coaching instead of Rodgers sat with his feet up, coasting and waiting for the pay off will make the difference here.

I really rate Barnes, but also completely underwhelmed by the signing.

Think it comes down to rating ASM (and Maddison as well Tbf) higher.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

£80m on English wingers that don’t make the England squad. 

Harsh on Gordon given he's part of the youth setup.

Barnes has a point to prove, and I kind of like that energy coming to the club.  

I really don’t like this trade. I mean, if we really sell ASM, I do expect we would go big on someone like Kvara that would be a certain starter on the left. We have Gordon and Joelinton as cover for this position and why add another player that probably just similar to Gordon’s level?

I would even prefer to just let Gordon start and buy an expensive right winger like Diaby. 

sorry guys I really don’t like this trade.

9 minutes ago, Zero said:

I really don’t like this trade. I mean, if we really sell ASM, I do expect we would go big on someone like Kvara that would be a certain starter on the left. We have Gordon and Joelinton as cover for this position and why add another player that probably just similar to Gordon’s level?

I would even prefer to just let Gordon start and buy an expensive right winger like Diaby. 

If we were just getting Barnes then I'd see your point, sort of, I mean we're trading a player that's barely on the pitch, for someone that will be on the pitch and scores goals.

There's no arguement really though because selling ASM gives us more spending power, and this will inevitably lead to more strength in the team across the pitch.

I think the level of winger you're talking about is out of range right now and also doesn't make sense to blow the budget on 1 position when there's a few that need upgrades.

If you want us to win games, Barnes is the type of player we need, because theres nothing as important as putting that ball in the net, fuck every other stat, dribbling, take ons etc etc, if you can consistently score you're invaluable.

Edited by BonesJones

I think finishing in the top 4 and the wealth of our owners has warped some perception of what a good signing looks like for us. We are still a way of from competing with the 'top 6' in terms of fees and wages. We are operating in more of the Villa/West Ham type territory really. 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Those cost £100 million each.

Fair.

But it's still kind of "meh" isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I think finishing in the top 4 and the wealth of our owners has warped some perception of what a good signing looks like for us. We are still a way of from competing with the 'top 6' in terms of fees and wages. We are operating in more of the Villa/West Ham type territory really. 

I don't think that's true. Tonali, Botman, Bruno & Isak are the type of players the elite were looking at.

38 minutes ago, Zero said:

No guarantee that Diaby would be better than Barnes. 

Personally, I don't watch much Bundesliga and all I know about Diaby is that he's highly regarded and expensive.

Can't say I was especially impressed with his highlight vids. Looked really slight. Neither Diaby or Barnes is especially known for tracking back or defending from the front, but I could see Barnes adapting. Not so confident about Diaby. His defending is incredibly weak.

And Barnes has proven he can score in the Premier League.  With Diaby we just don't know.

4 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If we weren’t selling Maxi I’m sure everyone would be very excited. It’s a very good signing. 

Maxi barely played last year and we did ok. Good signing, and has goals and assists to add to the team that got us 4th.

Excited to see him grow with EH and the team.

1 hour ago, gazza ladra said:

No guarantee that Diaby would be better than Barnes. 

Personally, I don't watch much Bundesliga and all I know about Diaby is that he's highly regarded and expensive.

Can't say I was especially impressed with his highlight vids. Looked really slight. Neither Diaby or Barnes is especially known for tracking back or defending from the front, but I could see Barnes adapting. Not so confident about Diaby. His defending is incredibly weak.

And Barnes has proven he can score in the Premier League.  With Diaby we just don't know.

You know what? I don’t rate Diaby that high too. That’s why I HATE this trade. I would even prefer to risk someone with higher ceiling on a position that we need upgrades, rather than spending on someone that cannot massively improve our starting eleven AND we have enough covers on left wing.

Probably even Maddison would be a better choice