Harvey Barnes

khay

4 hours ago, Disco said:

Thinking about this in a more abstract way he’s basically a far, far better version of Fraser isn’t he?

Doesn’t have a trick as such but runs about loads, one touch and pass/cross/hit, wants to get in behind loads. Framing it like that makes more sense as to why Howe wants him.

Do think swapping him for Maxi makes us a little bit more one dimensional especially against deep defences but we shall wait and see I guess. And as I’ve said RE: Gordon even if he’s shit you’re still getting most your £ back.

I agree, though on ASM I actually think he had his least effective games vs deep defences.  I don’t think the lad could do much when they stood off.  He’s an excellent counter attacking player to have 

1 hour ago, GWN said:

Love reading all the football coaches opinions on here mind .

Like it or loathe it. Surely that’s what football is all about 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

I think Harvey Barnes will be an excellent signing.

It'll be sad to see Maxi go but we are a club that is moving forwards and we have to be realistic with Maxi in terms of not seeing his full potential in any regularity and that's no good for a club that has aspirations of being around the top tier of competitions.

I wish Maxi well and he will always have a good place in my thoughts.

To sum Maxi up, he's a luxury bit part player we simply can't afford to cater to.

Half a dozen games a season at the top of his game is not going to enhance what the club is trying to achieve.

Harvey Barnes is a piece of a jigsaw that actually fits into Eddie Howe's puzzle without needing to hammer it home.

Edited by magvicar

I like the fact that even though others were interested, West Ham for instance, he definitely wanted to come here above all else. 

Always liked Barnes, think he'll be a great addition. Plus he's another looker! 

I was shocked when someone said he was only 5"9 because he's physically like an ox. What he doesn't have in height, he makes up in strength and running power.

2 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

I like the fact that even though others were interested, West Ham for instance, he definitely wanted to come here above all else. 

Always liked Barnes, think he'll be a great addition. Plus he's another looker! 

I agree! This is why I’m happy about getting Barnes, whereas Maddison didn’t seem to ever want to come here. 

4 hours ago, GWN said:

Love reading all the football coaches opinions on here mind .

There are actual coaches likes Bruce and Kinnear out there. This isn't one of the sports where you have to be in the game to know a thing or two, and that's what a football forum is [emoji38]

3 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

Remember a year ago when people were disappointed we didn't sign Maxwell Cornet and Ismaila Sarr 

Go on Captain Hindsight! Tell us more...

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

Like it or loathe it. Surely that’s what football is all about 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

God forbid someone having a football opinion on a football forum. We must all have the same opinion.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

I was shocked when someone said he was only 5"9 because he's physically like an ox. What he doesn't have in height, he makes up in strength and running power.

Height’s overrated in football (aherm Maradona, Messi, Garincha, Xavi, Ryan Fraser :lol:). 

Official announcement tomorrow perhaps? Gives him all weekend then to get himself packed and off to USA to meet up with the sqaud before the Villa game. (Not saying he'll have any part in that mind you).

11 minutes ago, STM said:

Yeah very direct and fast, proper Howe signing and player 

6 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Official announcement tomorrow perhaps? Gives him all weekend then to get himself packed and off to USA to meet up with the sqaud before the Villa game. (Not saying he'll have any part in that mind you).

Aye, would imagine they are desperate to get him over to the US with the rest of the squad.

15 minutes ago, STM said:

Not sure if he's as strong as Marcel.

Imagine what Howe will do for him within a few months. He will easily hit 15+ g/a a season, if Sancho/Antony etc did that the media would go into a complete frenzy.  He's a good signing.

4 minutes ago, La Parka said:

I've admired him for ages. He's very much a finisher though. Don't expect more than physicality and goals. Can imagine Bruno and Sandro will be looking to get him released asap on the break. 

He looks a similar type to Anderson? Possibly quicker 

Not that it’s a bad thing

As much as I love ASM and his trickery, I think as soon as Barnes gets coached properly in the defensive part of his game he will fit perfectly in with the ultra press game that Howe wants to play.

In our games against teams that just defend deep and come for a point. I think that's when Barnes will come into his own, especially if we can get him coming inside on his right. He'll bang them In not a daisy cutter scuffed shot like maxi offers. 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

In our games against teams that just defend deep and come for a point. I think that's when Barnes will come into his own, especially if we can get him coming inside on his right. He'll bang them In not a daisy cutter scuffed shot like maxi offers. 

I agree. Someone above posted about how useless ASM usually is against teams that sit deep and I would agree with that, with Barnes there’s a good chance he can bang one in. Rarely seen ASM do that (Wolves away the exception from memory)