Harvey Barnes

khay

21 minutes ago, 54 said:

I love the fact he started celebrating as soon as the ball left his boot and before the ball went in. :lol:

Norwegian commentators during the match said our bench did the same :lol:

He is that good, got Stephen Curry like ability from distance. Always seems to connect cleanly and if there’s no one in the way it’s invariably heading towards the corner of the goal

He's just an assassin. I was watching a Beckham throwback on the TV the other day and he gives me similar vibes. Obviously not on that level but give him the ball outside the box on his right peg and it's pure danger. He always finds a corner too. 

I fucking love he proved people wrong. I've rated him for years. With a productive right wing he will be even more of an asset. 

Edited by La Parka

On 02/09/2024 at 11:56, Andy said:

He's not the best footballer but always looks like he'll win you games. Was unlucky with that shot in the first half where he cut in and just didn't quite get enough bend on it too. 

Having players who can shoot from distance is severely underrated across football IMO.

Harvey Barnes has been directly involved in 11 goals in his 25 Premier League appearances for Newcastle (7 goals, 4 assists), averaging a goal or assist every 87 minutes of league action for the Magpies.

From the Beeb. Dude needs more run!

4 minutes ago, Beren said:

Having players who can shoot from distance is severely underrated across football IMO.

Aye, especially nowadays. Football is all about percentages now, shooting from distance is discouraged. Saw an article the other day about the decline of the "screamer" and the drop off is huge compared to a decade ago. 

Yeah he's one of those players, where as soon as he moved into that pocket of space, I was practically already celebrating before he hit it. 

If he can add variety to his game by going on the outside aswell, so he isn't easy to defend then he's a massive asset. 

I think the only thing we can do is play both him and Gordon and let them rotate during the game. It's not ideal if they both don't want to play on the right. But they are too good to leave out of the starting 11. 

Only negative is it means we only have Murphy and Almiron as wingers to bring on to change things if it's not working. But I think that's better than potentially pissing off Gordon or Barnes by benching one of them. 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Aye, especially nowadays. Football is all about percentages now, shooting from distance is discouraged. Saw an article the other day about the decline of the "screamer" and the drop off is huge compared to a decade ago. 

Read that too. Really good piece.

Think there is a middle ground that the likes of Foden, Odegaard etc score (or get rebounds/deflections) from with a reasonable return... not screamers, but not in the box either.

Told you he was good. 

Of all the players we've lost, it stings the most seeing him tear it up for another team.

£35m for him is a snip, 7 goals, 4 assists in basically 11 Premier League nineties.

1 hour ago, alexf said:

Yeah he's one of those players, where as soon as he moved into that pocket of space, I was practically already celebrating before he hit it. 

If he can add variety to his game by going on the outside aswell, so he isn't easy to defend then he's a massive asset. 

I think the only thing we can do is play both him and Gordon and let them rotate during the game. It's not ideal if they both don't want to play on the right. But they are too good to leave out of the starting 11. 

Only negative is it means we only have Murphy and Almiron as wingers to bring on to change things if it's not working. But I think that's better than potentially pissing off Gordon or Barnes by benching one of them. 

Tbf I don't mind Murphy as a sub. Just don't think he should be starting.

It's not just the accuracy and power that make him such a good finisher, he doesn't telegraph his shots at all.

He doesn't wind up or set himself.  By the time you realise he's taken a shot the ball's already left his foot and flying into the back of the net.

3 hours ago, gbandit said:

Still trying to work out why we signed one of the best goalscorers in the league from wide positions 

It's like the classic Mrs. Merton "so what attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

1 minute ago, Eveready said:

It's not just the accuracy and power that make him such a good finisher, he doesn't telegraph his shots at all.

He doesn't wind up or set himself.  By the time you realise he's taken a shot the ball's already left his foot and flying into the back of the net.

I think for this goal he had his head down and kind of rolled the two defenders, they didn't even realise he was looking for a shot until he was already in space and letting it go. Not sure if it was deliberate by him but it was very deceptive. 

3 hours ago, Beren said:

From the Beeb. Dude needs more run!

Kept thinking that. Remembering all those home games we used to play where we'd defend bravely against top teams but ultimately be undone late on by a long range goal. It was us on the other end of that for once.

Textbook strike to take the slightly heavier touch to work the space then he has the time to work his feet for the optimum technique and let the shot go. 

Some may call it boring, but there aren't many who can do what he does.