Harvey Barnes

khay

Out of interest have any of the North East press pack commented on this? Or are they all paranoid of an Edwards style false flag and losing what little credibility they have left?

11 minutes ago, STM said:

He's honestly a really good player.:lol:

But wave Chiesa in front of someone's nose and swap with Barnes will have this effect on people.

To be fair it was a bit like when we all thought Emery was going to sign and we got Howe. A good majority of the fan base thought it was a step back and it turned out alright. 

Another tremendous signing this would be from the owners , we are signing quality footballers and some folk on here are twisting like fuck , give yourselves a head wobble man :lol:

Trust these to get things right , we are blessed to have them. Howay the lads :indi:

I think it's a class signing. If they got chiesa as well they have 3 players in Gordon, Barnes and Chiesa that could play in most positions across that front line in a 4-3-3 or even in a 4-2-3-1 and the midfield behind that has the legs and ability to dominate midfields. Still need a left back hopefully and maybe a young central defender

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Harvey Barnes is basically what we hope Gordon will be in a year a two.

Partly true, I think Gordon has more room for development and will be able to play across several positions. Barnes is solidly a left winger and I can’t really see that changing. However, Eddie’s number one priority is coaching players so I guess he’s identified areas he thinks he could improve Barnes’ game. When it comes to transfers, I imagine there’s a ton of focus on data and then bringing that to Howe for him to consider how developing weaker areas will feed into a larger longer term team unit

12 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Intrigued that risk adverse Romano has picked this up. Still cynical about pretty much all our recent newspaper links being players with the same agent. 

Covered his arse in what he said though

I back the club whatever they want to do, they’ve barely put a foot wrong in the transfer market. However, I can see why some are not overly thrilled with this move, the goal scoring side to Barnes is clearly a big upside, but everyone was expecting a player who could unlock the door.

The below is a comparison with Lindstrom from Frankfurt and undoubtedly Barnes creative ability is rightly called into question, if that’s what he’s been brought in to do, they don’t scream CL elite player let’s just say that.

‘Lindstrom is closely ranked to the Englishman in a number of metrics including: goals per shot (0.16 vs 0.13), shot-creating actions per 90 (2.94 vs 3.30), and % of shots on target (42.2 vs 43.4).

Furthermore, although Barnes is an impressive goalscorer, he still has much to improve on regarding build-up play, residing within the lowest 23% in Europe’s top five leagues among his positional peers for passes attempted per 90, pass completion, and progressive passes per 90’.

23 minutes ago, St1pe said:

To be fair it was a bit like when we all thought Emery was going to sign and we got Howe. A good majority of the fan base thought it was a step back and it turned out alright. 

A bit more than alright, shirley?

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Partly true, I think Gordon has more room for development and will be able to play across several positions. Barnes is solidly a left winger and I can’t really see that changing. However, Eddie’s number one priority is coaching players so I guess he’s identified areas he thinks he could improve Barnes’ game. When it comes to transfers, I imagine there’s a ton of focus on data and then bringing that to Howe for him to consider how developing weaker areas will feed into a larger longer term team unit

Barnes has scored loads of goals from the centre. Yes he’s a left winger but he comes infield a lot on the counter 

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Barnes has scored loads of goals from the centre. Yes he’s a left winger but he comes infield a lot on the counter 

I must have missed that, I feel like I’ve only ever seen him on the left and then cutting inside when he gets close to the goal to get shots off

For people who know Barnes a bit better then myself, can he play in the middle of needed? Either on the left of the midfield three, or as a CAM. 

As I can see Howe adapting how we play slightly this season in order for things to not become stale. For example if Howe wanted to play a 4-2-3-1, you could put this team out:

Tonali       Bruno

Gordon.         Barnes.         ASM

Isak

Just now, 54 said:

For people who know Barnes a bit better then myself, can he play in the middle of needed? Either on the left of the midfield three, or as a CAM. 

As I can see Howe adapting how we play slightly this season in order for things to not become stale. For example if Howe wanted to play a 4-2-3-1, you could put this team out:

Tonali       Bruno

Isak

not seen it but it doesn’t mean he can’t

Just now, Shearergol said:

not seen it but it doesn’t mean he can’t

He's not as effective there, but ASM has played their before so that's also an option.

4 minutes ago, 54 said:

Tonali       Bruno

Isak

Feels like it we wanted to do that then Maddison would have made more sense.

Would be a good signing and think Eddie would take him to another level which is exciting.

Also, with the allowance of five subs and the intensity we play at, having great quality on the bench is huge, we can change almost half the side and ramp up the press and intensity even more and play that way for the full 90.

Not particularly keen on this. Doesn't improve our first 11 imo. 

On the left we already have ASM who is better when fit, Gordon who is younger and Joelinton who played there when we played our best football of the season.

Not really sure how much more Barnes offers. If we were going to sign a left winger, id want someone quality who improves the 11. 

7 hours ago, 80 said:

Don't know why people are so repelled by this.

Re: sideways moves, sometimes they help you get where you want to go faster i.e. changing lanes on a motorway.

It's not even a sideways move, he offers a source of consistent source of goals from out wide, something we lack.

Edited by The Prophet

Thinking about it now it's a no-brainer at that price like. I just hope he's there to offset ASM's weaknesses rather than replace him altogether. 

He feels like this year's Jack Harrison.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Thinking about it now it's a no-brainer at that price like. I just hope he's there to offset ASM's weaknesses rather than replace him altogether. 

I think and hope it is seeing the contrast in what they offer per 90. If we are struggling to carry the ball and hit on the counter, then ASM to get us to final third and create chances. If we are on top and against a low block, Barnes to bring the goal threat.