Harvey Barnes

khay

The kid knows where the onion bag is. Neither Shearer nor Lampard were "skillfull", in that sense but what Barnes lacks in technical skills while running with the ball, he makes up for by having a superb footballing brain.

He's basically the opposite of ASM.

I was watching a video the other day where Harry Kane was talking about how important the touch is to set the shot up. Barnes does it really well for both of his goals, first touch sets him up for the shot that he wants to take. 

His skill in setting up the space for the shot reminded me of a training ground scene in the Simeone documentary on Amazon where he was teaching the nuances of receiving the ball in a tight space and how turning your body a certain way can make the difference in getting off a pass or shot. Then having the confidence to lace it from 20 yards after being out for most of the season was great to see.

AG deserves enormous credit for the hold-up play just prior as well :thup:

hope being able to shoot from distance isnt coached out of him, we have always played to get into a good position to then recycle the ball to try and confuse/free up more space etc, the number of touches in their box yesterday is testament that at times we want to almost walk it into the goal.

I get if a shot from distance can see the opposition quickly move up field the other way but when its a low block and chaotic anything can happen.

14 hours ago, Parsley said:

I know what you're saying, but outside of probably Isak there is no other player capable of that shimmy and shot for the winner in the side currently. It was pure clutch. 

Bruno too

i initially thought it was him as he did something similar recently without scoring 

57 minutes ago, STM said:

Hands Up Idk GIF by Catfish MTV

Who's watched the goal back a dozen times?

Only a dozen? I've got Razors commentary on a loop in my head. 

This is Barnes. Beats his man. 

HARRVEEEYYYY BAAAARRRNNNNSSS OHHHHH

1 hour ago, kingxlnc said:

Bruno too

i initially thought it was him as he did something similar recently without scoring 

Bruno's long range shooting is generally crap man 😅

7 hours ago, gbandit said:

His two weapons are a touch inside and a whip shot. They’re both lethal

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Bruno's shooting reminds me of those dreams you have where you're putting all of your power into a punch and it does nothing.

I feel like his shots come after a 15 min period where he’s been all over the pitch and his legs are dead haha. 

7 hours ago, arnonel said:

That first touch is ridiculous 

The shot was great but the quick thinking to drop his left shoulder as he received the ball and put the defender off balance before moving the ball to the right is what gets me about that goal. Split second decision. Amazing instincts. 

His finishing is of such a high standard

I know some are obsessed with having a go at ASM every time Barnes does well but I'm one of those that was disappointed ASM was sold but equally excited that we had signed Barnes, simply because his finishing is several levels above ASM

Hopefully he can stay fit and he can continue to make a right mug of those saying he was a daft signing and those that were impatient because he wasn't amazing in every game after a long injury lay off 

Much of the doubting of Barnes was of the "I know he scores goals but what does he actually DO?" nature. In fairness, if the subject were Callum Wilson and not Harvey Barnes, I'd almost agree with them.

Just a fwiw, but Barnes also came on and got our fourth against Luton, the other match where we came from two goals down. Liverpool and Villa come from behind very often and its an ability we need to improve on. 

The biggest question mark over the signing of Barnes has always been the fact that we seemed to desperately need a RW and instead brought in Barnes, who plays off the left.

Given we had Gordon and Joelinton at LW (also the option of using Isak there late in games had proven very effective) and Almiron and Murphy were the options at RW, it's hard to argue that RW wasn't the bigger need.

I know there's hope that Gordon will be able to play off the right and be just as effective, but I'm honestly also a little bit wary of moving him away from the position where he's kicked on and taken his game to a whole new level.

Ideal world we'd have a really deep and talented squad and we could rotate Barnes and Gordon at LW.

22 hours ago, arnonel said:

That first touch is ridiculous 

At the game I thought he had made two touches, one to control it and one to give himself some space to get the shot away. Only realised it was all one movement when I saw the replay on Twitter. In my defence the last 15mins were essentially an out-of-body experience. 

5 minutes ago, Shak said:

Ideal world we'd have a really deep and talented squad and we could rotate Barnes and Gordon at LW.

I can soon see a situation, certainly next season, where they both force their way into the team. Good problem to have. 

17 minutes ago, Shak said:

The biggest question mark over the signing of Barnes has always been the fact that we seemed to desperately need a RW and instead brought in Barnes, who plays off the left.

Given we had Gordon and Joelinton at LW (also the option of using Isak there late in games had proven very effective) and Almiron and Murphy were the options at RW, it's hard to argue that RW wasn't the bigger need.

I know there's hope that Gordon will be able to play off the right and be just as effective, but I'm honestly also a little bit wary of moving him away from the position where he's kicked on and taken his game to a whole new level.

I think there was an expectation that Gordon would play centrally quite a lot when Wilson would inevitably be injured.