Harvey Barnes

khay

The biggest thing I’ve noticed is that he actually gets his head up when he runs and that trait seems to be a rare skill in modern football. For me, it’s one of the main reasons why he’s so effective - he can control the ball and run at pace while looking for a team mate - priceless 

30 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Ah yes the old - let's have a stronger bench than starting XI strategy.

I think as he gets more minutes he might be more inclined to try it, with Murphy coming on from the bench. 

29 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think as he gets more minutes he might be more inclined to try it, with Murphy coming on from the bench. 

I did think he might be benched again.  As the options from the bench currently are so limited, that we'd almost have to be finishing with the same 11 if he started, so bad are our subs.  Possibly only really 1 change you can make, 2 if Willock is suddenly fit to play, at best.  Otherwise it would mean massively reducing the quality of the players on the pitch by bringing anyone on.  

I also think Howe really sees Gordon as the starter on the left and I don't think he has started a game on the right this season?  But it feels like needs must at the minute and we've not really had anyone decent to play on the right all season, regardless.  

I hope I'm wrong, mind.  A slow start against Spurs and we're fucked.  I can't see them being as wasteful as Fulham. 

It would be nice to go with what is our best available XI from the off.  It's not really that hard to choose at present.  It's a pool of 12-13 players :lol: 

54 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I did think he might be benched again.  As the options from the bench currently are so limited, that we'd almost have to be finishing with the same 11 if he started, so bad are our subs.  Possibly only really 1 change you can make, 2 if Willock is suddenly fit to play, at best.  Otherwise it would mean massively reducing the quality of the players on the pitch by bringing anyone on.  

I also think Howe really sees Gordon as the starter on the left and I don't think he has started a game on the right this season?  But it feels like needs must at the minute and we've not really had anyone decent to play on the right all season, regardless.  

I hope I'm wrong, mind.  A slow start against Spurs and we're fucked.  I can't see them being as wasteful as Fulham. 

It would be nice to go with what is our best available XI from the off.  It's not really that hard to choose at present.  It's a pool of 12-13 players :lol: 

This line of thinking doesn't make any sense. 

I do agree that fundamentally Howe see's Barnes & Gordon as LW's. So if both are fit and we have a striker - one will sit on the bench. I agree that having Gordon RW is a suboptimal use of his skills but he's better there than what we have so it's for the best.

That's the whole issue with the Barnes transfer. He's brought in to rotate with someone we thought could be a star player for us. Meanwhile, we have 2 players at RW who are incredibly short of quality and consistency required to be mainstays of a top 6 team. 

I'd keep Barnes on the bench for now if possible 

since 5 subs became a thing the importance of having a strong bench should not be underestimated 

Everton last week were a good example, we had no answer 

We got the wins against Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea by getting the lead by around the hour and then seeing it out. Think that's the way to go. Better to have a lead and if nothing else, throw on the likes of Dummett to see it out (I know it backfired v Everton) than try to chase a game in the last 30.

Barnes is lightyears a head of Murphy, unless its for fitness reasons, which to be honest I dont trust Howe or his medical team on anyway, he has to start.

It's also about managing Barnes minutes after having been injured for so long and suffering a slight set back once he came back. 

But definitely looking forward to Barnes Isak Gordon all starting together, csn see them being a very fluid front three with everyone being able to play anywhere across the front. 

17 minutes ago, Nobody said:

It's also about managing Barnes minutes after having been injured for so long and suffering a slight set back once he came back. 

But definitely looking forward to Barnes Isak Gordon all starting together, csn see them being a very fluid front three with everyone being able to play anywhere across the front. 

Yeah, I think that's a really good point and another thing which kinda debunks the "but we already have plenty of LWs" from when we signed him. I feel like the vision all along may have been - as you say - to have those three be our front three and to flummox opponents by moving them around.

He seems to have developed a good connection with Isak already, has found his runs a few times in the last few games. We've got goals across the board with Barnes, Isak and AG too

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

Was getting slated in the match thread for poor decision making early on funny old game.

Yeah, thought it was harsh. Though he did hesitate at certain points early on and fluffed some great positions, but he is such a threat.

Great runs into space, gets his head up and finds passes, and is a threat to shoot from range. He's proving to be a great addition, particularly with Gordon looking like he can be just as effective on the right.