Harvey Barnes

khay

43 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Brilliant work from Miley on that goal and the finish was peng.

Bruno's assist was fucking sumptuous too.

Not had a player who can reliably score like that for a long time. Isak maybe, but he's usually playing a different role.

20 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Easily our biggest miss this season.

I rate Barnes highly, but I think the biggest miss is Pope as the sweeper keeper. The back four fall back and that creates all that space our midfield has been struggling to cover.

20 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Someone, at some point, said he didn't have a left foot. Or at least it was a swinger at best. That was a beautifully controlled strike.

Whoever said that was wrong. He's scored over a quarter of his goals with his weaker (left) foot, hitting xG with it.  Click on "shot type" for the numbers.

https://understat.com/player/6681

I wonder how much crossover there is between people who didn't rate Harvey Barnes and people who didn't rate Anthony Gordon. Just because you play for a struggling club....

1 hour ago, Jaqen said:

Fairly certain it was @LFEE who kept claiming he was one footed. 

I don’t think he’s two footed and still stand by that. Not in the sense of he doesn’t trust his weaker foot.

To evidence what I mean when Schar slides him through he should use his left but steps around to use his right. Same as he did against Villa. 

Small sample size I appreciate but as his minutes increase let’s see who is right. My money is on his preference to turn his body shape and use his right.

An example of a two footed player to me is Beardsley. You can’t tell which was his strongest foot and looked natural using both.

Edited by LFEE

He’s not a genuinely two footed player. But they seem few and far between and always have been. 

I always remember Santi Cazorla being equally as good with both. Would even take set pieces off either foot. 

Then you have players that will dribble with both feet. But not necessarily shoot or cross on their weaker foot. 

Then you have players like Martins and Dembele. Who don’t know what their stronger foot is and are equally as erratic with both :lol: 

I might be mis-remembering. But I’m sure Barnes has scored a few on his left over the years. Like he’s happy to take it on and put his laces through it or try and place it like yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Ginola one of the best I've ever seen using left and right.

Could possibly be the only player to score a free kick with his weaker foot (for spurs) 

Saw lee Clark take a corner once with his left foot too

Always clear it was a good signing, we needed to add goals across the front line. Rarely seen a player so hungry for goals, even strikers.  

Snag is the that he plays the same side as Gordon but I know Gordon is versatile and we do need a squad. 

I love how he always takes the textbook option as well, strikes it low and hard and on target. Gets a lot of deflected goals and goals that seem lucky.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’d crawl over broken glass to see someone with his sublime ability play for us again. 

He was great but think he only got 6 goals 13 assists for us or something like that… very entertaining though

16 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Always clear it was a good signing, we needed to add goals across the front line. Rarely seen a player so hungry for goals, even strikers.  

Snag is the that he plays the same side as Gordon but I know Gordon is versatile and we do need a squad. 

I love how he always takes the textbook option as well, strikes it low and hard and on target. Gets a lot of deflected goals and goals that seem lucky.

Absolutely no snag that Gordon can play the same position (or Willock and Big Joe) the greater the competition the better imo 

Just a shame what injuries have done to us 

17 minutes ago, tgarve said:

He was great but think he only got 6 goals 13 assists for us or something like that… very entertaining though

Can’t recall the numbers, nor do I know how reliably the assists were counted then, but if he only scored 6, they must have been worldies! 

I’d say Barnes is as much of a wide forward as you can define in football. He’s a 10 goal guy at least and probably would have that easily given the number of chances our wingers get in our systems. His ball striking and placement are really high level. 

On 05/02/2024 at 10:51, Gallowgate Toon said:

I get that he's not the sexiest winger about in terms of being pua dribbly but some of his finishing and ball-striking is ludicrously good. Delighted he's back.

Especially when for so long we've had wide players who can do everything right up until the final third, then they'll fail to make a decent cross or strike the ball well when in on goal.

On 05/02/2024 at 12:31, Kanji said:

I’d say Barnes is as much of a wide forward as you can define in football. He’s a 10 goal guy at least and probably would have that easily given the number of chances our wingers get in our systems. His ball striking and placement are really high level. 

Yep, it was definitely a signing focused on adding goals above anything else.