Harvey Barnes

khay

If we get him for a fee small enough to enable us to sign an additional established quality player in another position, we've moved from no-brainer to be-rude-not-to.

I suspect that we have agreed with Barnes and his agent that his future is at nufc. His agent has just told Leicester their negotiating should be solely with nufc. We have leaked the £25m offer to manage expectations so that £30m with add ons becomes attractive.

Might just be a common Football Manager thing but wonder if we can try and target players who have a release clause which can only be activated for clubs who are in the Champions League

Sounds like this could run for a bit, especially if West Ham come knocking with the Rice money burning a hole.

If Leicester know West Ham are interested they’ll play hard ball and it might take 35 million to get this done, in which case it comes down to how badly we want him.

14 minutes ago, Viana said:

I think we’re trying to go lower for Barnes knowing that the lad from Frankfurt (Lindstrom) is still an option.

I think we might have a fee agreed with Juventus for Chiesa and would take a shot on Barnes first. If Leicester reject this we will go for Chiesa

28 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Agreed, nor will he be a squad filler.

Aye, if there's one thing we could have done with last season it's a wide player who can score goals for fun [emoji38]

He'll come in, score a goal every other game and we'll be wondering what the fuck we were ever going on about.

45 minutes ago, Zero said:

I think we might have a fee agreed with Juventus for Chiesa and would take a shot on Barnes first. If Leicester reject this we will go for Chiesa

I don’t think we are after Chiesa at all. This looks like last years Paqueta, a fan driven wish for a player. Have we even been linked with him from anyone with some credit?

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Sounds like this could run for a bit, especially if West Ham come knocking with the Rice money burning a hole.

If Leicester know West Ham are interested they’ll play hard ball and it might take 35 million to get this done, in which case it comes down to how badly we want him.

And also, how badly Barnes wants to come here rather than West Ham. As we've seen with Maddison, the player's wishes carry some weight.

A few years ago, he was considered Klopp's top choice as a replacement for Mane and Salah. I do believe LFC reached out to Leicester but the price was too expensive at that time. Then we moved on to other targets and finally ended up with Diaz. I am not surprised at common targets - Barnes, Thuram, Kone -  being linked to both of us as I believe some of the player analysts who used to work for LFC have now moved on to work at NUFC. Dan Ashworth and Michael Edwards are close friends and I am sure the team they assembled has a lot of overlaps in terms of the type of players they look for. 

Around 2015-2017, we had Sterling and Ibe in our youth team. When you looked at attributes - pace, physicality, dribbling ability, shot-taking - Ibe was significantly better than Sterling. However, Sterling had a significantly better career as he was able to put together his attributes more effectively on the pitch. Barnes, in some way, reminds me of Sterling. He has a lot of attributes at a good to very good level but what he is really good at is putting together his strengths to make the whole, greater than the sum of the parts. I have not followed Barnes in the last year and a half but he impressed me when he broke through at Leicester.

Also, there was an interesting comment from one of the analysts on Twitter that the more modern clubs are now buying players based on attributes rather than positions and trusting the coaching to mold them. Mane, a right winger became a left winger and striker. Salah, a left winger became a right winger. Gini, an attacking midfielder became a defensive midfielder. Plenty of such examples, actually I would say even more, in City.  Gordon is similar, in my opinion. I posted about him a couple of months ago in the Gordon post.  Given the fact that we share analysts who have worked for each other, as an outsider, looking at your transfer purchases quickly without any deep thought, the first thing which comes to mind is that aspect - emphasis on what he brings to the pitch on terms of strengths rather than traditional aspects such as what positions does he play etc. 

3 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

A few years ago, he was considered Klopp's top choice as a replacement for Mane and Salah. I do believe LFC reached out to Leicester but the price was too expensive at that time. Then we moved on to other targets and finally ended up with Diaz. I am not surprised at common targets - Barnes, Thuram, Kone -  being linked to both of us as I believe some of the player analysts who used to work for LFC have now moved on to work at NUFC. Dan Ashworth and Michael Edwards are close friends and I am sure the team they assembled has a lot of overlaps in terms of the type of players they look for. 

Around 2015-2017, we had Sterling and Ibe in our youth team. When you looked at attributes - pace, physicality, dribbling ability, shot-taking - Ibe was significantly better than Sterling. However, Sterling had a significantly better career as he was able to put together his attributes more effectively on the pitch. Barnes, in some way, reminds me of Sterling. He has a lot of attributes at a good to very good level but what he is really good at is putting together his strengths to make the whole, greater than the sum of the parts. I have not followed Barnes in the last year and a half but he impressed me when he broke through at Leicester.

Also, there was an interesting comment from one of the analysts on Twitter that the more modern clubs are now buying players based on attributes rather than positions and trusting the coaching to mold them. Mane, a right winger became a left winger and striker. Salah, a left winger became a right winger. Gini, an attacking midfielder became a defensive midfielder. Plenty of such examples, actually I would say even more, in City.  Gordon is similar, in my opinion. I posted about him a couple of months ago in the Gordon post.  Given the fact that we share analysts who have worked for each other, as an outsider, looking at your transfer purchases quickly without any deep thought, the first thing which comes to mind is that aspect - emphasis on what he brings to the pitch on terms of strengths rather than traditional aspects such as what positions does he play etc. 

That's a great post. It's certainly the modern way. City seem to have players who can play CM or Wide or even a false 9 seamlessly.

10 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

He's 25 and has never done this in his career.  I would be happy with 10 from the left side next year.

I wasn't being literal like, but he's hardly been far off it. This season and 20/21.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

47 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I wasn't being literal like, but he's hardly been far off it. This season and 20/21.

He should be our best scorer from the left. Let's hope Miggy has another great year on the right.