Rangers 1-2 Newcastle United (18/07/2023)

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

Considering some players only trained for 4 days that was a good run out, no players injured and everyone got minutes.

We do need more players who can run at teams, its a shame we are losing Maxi but hopefully we can replace him with someone who can also do some damage from the wing.

I did also think that. But Barnes (if he signs) will happily drive forward when he has space, Isak will, Big Joe, Little Joe, Tonali. All from wider areas, at times.  

i Think there are a few in there that can drive forward on the ball. 

Just now, 54 said:

Decent runout that.

Great to see the younguns on the second half.  I don't think some on here realised that.  Moaning and groaning because it wasn't six nil.

Just now, Rod said:

Great to see the younguns on the second half.  I don't think some on here realised that.  Moaning and groaning because it wasn't six nil.

:lol:

On the plus side, Gordon was playing like I'd seen him play for Everton, with a bit of confidence and pace. He made a big difference. 

Tonali showed what he had to offer. Bruno stank the place out tonight, but he should be able to combine well with him.

Liked the look of Miley too. 

At times, I didn't think we shifted the ball forwards quickly enough when the opportunity was there. The press didn't work well, but I guess that's all down to pre-season fitness. We seemed to pull out of a few challenges, but that's only sensible.

Glad we actually won in the end.

Just now, David Edgar said:

Miley players with such ease.  Has the physicality too.  Just need to work out what he is gonna do that sets him apart. 

Really looks like he belongs, has potential to be a very classy player.

21 minutes ago, Rod said:

Rev that engine Hot Rod.

First time I've been really impressed with Gordon, he looked sharp as a dart. Very nimble and a yard ahead of everyone else which was nice. Needs to carry it on into next season.

Overall it felt like a solid workout, big ground, big crowd, no major stakes on the line but it'll serve us well. Got a sneaky feeling we'll do really well in Europe this season, we'll be a bit of an unknown quantity to a lot of teams. The pressing we do will catch a lot out and we'll reap goals from it, I know we're pot 4 but I think we'll qualify and make the last 16 or even 8. Add a few more bodies to that squad and we'll be looking pretty good

25 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yep, once I realised I could stream for free I was glad I watched it. Surprisingly decent tempo and Tonali was class. 

Might go to Sela Cup after all :lol:

I’d probably have watched it if I knew there was a free feed!

I used to go to the odd friendly was I was younger, but I’d often just be bored. Without stakes, it isn’t interesting - the players are (correctly) treating it as a slightly competitive warm up.  Wolves away that time was the last one for me - spent a fair bit of cash for watching a training game.  Never again.

It’s particularly egregious in the modern game when friendlies are played abroad for stupid money ticket prices.  I pity the poor sods who pay crazy sums to watch matches in the US or Asia during the summer to watch a training session.  If NUFC rock up to Sydney I still wouldn’t go and pay daft money to watching them - a lad I work with paid over $100AUD for a Liverpool game a while ago.  Yet he still hasn’t arsed himself to attend a single A-League game.  I’d rather watch low-quality competitive football than superstars playing a warm up.