Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

53 minutes ago, brummie said:

Emery has been playing some really weird tactics in preseason, trying all sorts of out-there shit.

Guy's a magician.

Of all the managers in the league outside of Pep, and maybe including Pep, I rate Emery as one of the best. I think he's fucking class. 

Many of us on here ( i think ) are just genuinely shook by that 3-0 away. Nobody just completely messed us up like you did. Granted i think it was a combo of you all being just 100% on it and us being about 0% on it and it being magnified some - your tactics and execution were spot on. 

19 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Of all the managers in the league outside of Pep, and maybe including Pep, I rate Emery as one of the best. I think he's fucking class. 

Many of us on here ( i think ) are just genuinely shook by that 3-0 away. Nobody just completely messed us up like you did. Granted i think it was a combo of you all being just 100% on it and us being about 0% on it and it being magnified some - your tactics and execution were spot on. 

We were fucking shite that day. Villa took advantage. 

2 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

They hit the post within 30 seconds if memory serves. We were outclassed for 90 minutes. Best team we faced last season by quite some distance.

Bruno did. Or maybe that was a different game 🤔

Edited by Shearergol

Just now, Shearergol said:

We were fucking shite that day. Villa took advantage. 

The tone was set within 30 seconds. Start of the second half if we take one of our chances then it could’ve been a different game but more we pushed the more vulnerable we looked on the counter.

One thing that was noticeable was how many decisions they got off the ref. I’m never one to make much comment on refs but that day they were throwing themselves to the ground at every opportunity. It was so frustrating in the ground watching the ref buy it every time.

18 minutes ago, LFEE said:

The tone was set within 30 seconds. Start of the second half if we take one of our chances then it could’ve been a different game but more we pushed the more vulnerable we looked on the counter.

One thing that was noticeable was how many decisions they got off the ref. I’m never one to make much comment on refs but that day they were throwing themselves to the ground at every opportunity. It was so frustrating in the ground watching the ref buy it every time.

The Brentford away game first half was similar and they could've been out of sight. We scored earlyish on and that changed it.

26 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

They hit the post within 30 seconds if memory serves. We were outclassed for 90 minutes. Best team we faced last season by quite some distance.

Watkins was the best player performance we faced last season

29 minutes ago, LFEE said:

The thing about that game that concerned me the most, and I'm agreeing we were off the pace, is that there was no instruction from the bench to change thing - or - if there was it didn't work.

Maybe Eddie had faith in his system that it would come good but it was apparent to me by half-time we needed to change something. Hopefully Eddie learnt something from that game and I am quite sure he did.

I also wonder sometimes if that was a VERY important game to Emery, he wanted to win that one at any cost to send his own ego-driven message to the hierarchy at St James because the job fell through - for whatever reason it did.

2 minutes ago, Irish Magpie said:

Emery, he wanted to win that one at any cost to send his own ego-driven message to the hierarchy at St James because the job fell through - for whatever reason it did.

He turned down the nufc job himself [emoji38]

Villa definitely peaked in that 3-0 game, they only won 3 out the last 7 league games after that, was just one of them games where everything they did worked and combined with our worst performance of the season, it just makes Villa look way better than they actually are. If they played like that every week they would win the league.

Edited by Geogaddi

4 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Villa definitely peaked in that 3-0 game, they only won 3 out the last 7 league games after that, was just one of them games where everything they did worked and combined with our worst performance of the season, it just makes Villa look way better than they actually are. If they played like that every week they would win the league.

We were Bruce standards in that game. 

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Aye, villa made the most of a very weak ref by going down everytime a gust of air went past. Although some of us marvel in shithousery, we really got done by a major dose of it that time around. But there were genuine concerns that their team of midgets were also beating our team of giants in the air at almost every ball sent in the box. 

But....we are at home, and Eddie has probably looked at that match over and over again 

54 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I’d actually forgotten how bad the ref was. We were 2nd best across the pitch but Christ. He absolutely was abysmal.

26 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Watkins was free on goal after little time and they hit the bar later from what i remember. Watkins may hit the post also.

Watkins hit the post before Ramsey put them one up. They hit the bar then second half they had one goal chalked off then added 2 more. Was a proper shit show by our standards 

I agree about the referee, but it was also very apparent in that game that we were tactically outmanoeuvred pretty much from the first minute to the last. I'm sure Eddie will have invested a lot of time since then working on what adjustments need to be made to counteract what Emery and Villa will have in store this time around. 

We were completely outclassed in every bit of the field as well as tactically in that battering we had.

I'm sure it will be different on Saturday though, 2-0 win.

Edited by Aiston

28 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

He turned down the nufc job himself [emoji38]

I understand that, but I was wondering what really led to that decision. It was being reported as fact, and it is not inconceivable that something happened behind the scenes - that we wouldn't know about - that led to that decsion and it still rankles him. Ergo, a vendetta. A desire to prove himself better than Wor Eddie.

54 minutes ago, madras said:

The Brentford away game first half was similar and they could've been out of sight. We scored earlyish on and that changed it.

Yeah was at that game too. Although the goal finally came from a deserved penalty they could’ve been out of sight.

Edited by LFEE

The game at Villa Park was the perfect storm. According to many Villa fans, it was their best performance of the season. Similarly it was one of our worst, coming off the back of three away games in under two weeks.

Not to say they aren't a very well coached side with plenty of quality, but I wouldn't read into it too much. I fully expect this one to be a low scoring, tactical affair.