Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

They're really pushing fans to get in early, even got the players to record a message saying so. Guess they're anticipating this going absolutely tits up. 

I'll be 8 pints deep and getting to the ground any time between 17:05-17:20 like in any normal previous season for a 17:30 kick off.

CWgatuYWUAETMTs.jpg

3 hours ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Agreed.  I watched a couple villa games before and after ours and they looked ok before us and poor after.  They went on a fantastic run but were not blowing teams away.  I think we could struggle against them as our system suits them.  I think Villa and Brighton look very good against a team that wants to press, so we tend to see the best of them.  The XG expected vs actual highlights this to a degree that we were where we “should” have been.  Villa ended up higher than expected.  

Edit - having said that I think they’ve done well in the transfer window and playing and combining that with them playing in the conference I think they will end up above us this year.  

I could have sworn Brentford massively outperformed their xG. 

24 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I could have sworn Brentford massively outperformed their xG. 

At some point they may well have done.  I saw a similar traffic at around the half season point and it was very different.  I’ve not given Xg much time in the past but I like this grafic for over a season.  Like all stats as you step away and look overall it gets more accurate.  Game by game you get cases where the xg does not match the reality of the game.  I think ours is fair as, for the most part, when we won we deserved it.  When we drew we were generally the better team.  So actual is slightly below where we ended up.

I would bet there is a correlation between entertainers/sexy football and good xg.  I’d bet us under Keegan would have expected near the top and position maybe slightly below.  Aladyce/Pulis could well be lower xg higher in actual table.  

Just now, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

At some point they may well have done.  I saw a similar traffic at around the half season point and it was very different.  I’ve not given Xg much time in the past but I like this grafic for over a season.  Like all stats as you step away and look overall it gets more accurate.  Game by game you get cases where the xg does not match the reality of the game.  I think ours is fair as, for the most part, when we won we deserved it.  When we drew we were generally the better team.  So actual is slightly below where we ended up.

I would bet there is a correlation between entertainers/sexy football and good xg.  I’d bet us under Keegan would have expected near the top and position maybe slightly below.  Aladyce/Pulis could well be lower xg higher in actual table.  

Thinking about it now, it might have been non-pen xG or something. I'm pretty sure they're punching well above their weight on some form of xG.

I agree with you as well, it's one of the reasons the 'Newcastle overperformed and other teams underperformed last season' point is so annoying, because we actually got less outcome than you'd expect from how we played.

39 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

They're really pushing fans to get in early, even got the players to record a message saying so. Guess they're anticipating this going absolutely tits up. 

I'll be 8 pints deep and getting to the ground any time between 17:05-17:20 like in any normal previous season for a 17:30 kick off.

Is that wise on this one occasion? 😬 

Probably an unpopular opinion but based on the game in April I think I'd start Wilson for this. Just think the physical battle in this particular game suits him better than Isak and his pressing sets the tone, something we massively lacked last time. 

I'll be getting in nice and early for dem vibez as well.

going to be interesting to see how many heed cases have made it back in the upper Gallowgate this season. I hope there's plenty. kick off time, new standy up area, and occasion means it should be absolutely rocking!

HOWAY YOU BLOODY MAGS! kick it in the net as many times as you can, and just try your best overall

Longstaff imo.

Think it'll be 

Pope

Trippier

Schär 

Botman

Burn

Bruno

Longstaff 

Joelinton 

Gordon

Wilson 

Almiron 

But I wouldn't be surprised if Howe matched up in some way and stuck Joelinton on someone or as a protector.

Edited by Kid Icarus

I think Longstaff being missing for our mauling at Villa Park last season will play into Howe's thinking. We need his intensity and running in the midfield. Do also think Anderson will miss out which is a shame for the lad.

Edited by Pilko

7 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I think Longstaff being missing for our mauling at Villa Park last season will play into Howe's thinking. We need his intensity and running in the midfield. Do also think Anderson will miss out which is a shame for the lad.

That sounds like management speak to me and I know how much you hate that. 

eeeeee am excited me!

what's everybody doing for the match tomorrow then? where yas gan? eating? drinking? what you wearing? any matchday rituals or superstitions?

meeting friends for a little wander down South Shields coast in the morning. get some sea air into me lungs before I fill them with Guinness. might even have an ice cream from Minchella's if it isn't baltic. get ourselves back into town for some scran (probably Meat Stack) and a couple jars. probably Bar Loco, but weather dependant again really. might do Bacchus, might do the Old George. Mad Mick's would be a laugh but haven't been able to get in since the start of last season. might even do Shearer's because why the bloody hell not?! the world really is our oyster. howay ya bastards!

9 hours ago, LFEE said:

I was talking about the new rules. The normal seems to be 69mins. So 6mins of actual football is not a massive increase. Nor does 11mins 🙂

The average last season was 55 minutes. Newcastle second lowest with 51 minutes. Don't think you'll ever get close to 80 minutes actual football, even the stopwatch suggestion is to make games 60 minutes. 

15 minutes ago, Big River said:

eeeeee am excited me!

what's everybody doing for the match tomorrow then? where yas gan? eating? drinking? what you wearing? any matchday rituals or superstitions?

meeting friends for a little wander down South Shields coast in the morning. get some sea air into me lungs before I fill them with Guinness. might even have an ice cream from Minchella's if it isn't baltic. get ourselves back into town for some scran (probably Meat Stack) and a couple jars. probably Bar Loco, but weather dependant again really. might do Bacchus, might do the Old George. Mad Mick's would be a laugh but haven't been able to get in since the start of last season. might even do Shearer's because why the bloody hell not?! the world really is our oyster. howay ya bastards!

Me at 16:37 tomorrow. 

20230811_175623.thumb.jpg.805cac7bdbb26b2aa7e5d38d89f3da15.jpg

19 minutes ago, Big River said:

eeeeee am excited me!

Is it actually worth a visit? Walk past it now and then and can't work it out. :lol: