Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

They hit the post within 30 seconds if memory serves. We were outclassed for 90 minutes. Best team we faced last season by quite some distance.

Spurs at their place were the best we faced the season before, then we smashed them for 5 within 20 minutes the next season.

Trust the process.

Just now, The Prophet said:

The game at Villa Park was the perfect storm. According to many Villa fans, it was their best performance of the season. Similarly it was one of our worst, coming off the back of three away games in under two weeks.

Not to say they aren't a very well coached side with plenty of quality, but I wouldn't read into it too much. I fully expect this one to be a low scoring, tactical affair.

Was stuck with some Villa friends after the game and they said that was the best they’d played in years.

First game of the season always hard to predict. Usually at least one daft result on the weekend.

I usually think it’s down to who gets their second wind first as usually there is a dip of intensity 55-70mins opening game.

10 minutes ago, Irish Magpie said:

I understand that, but I was wondering what really led to that decision. It was being reported as fact, and it is not inconceivable that something happened behind the scenes - that we wouldn't know about - that led to that decsion and it still rankles him. Ergo, a vendetta. A desire to prove himself better than Wor Eddie.

Shouldnt take all reports for gospel, but it was widely reported that Emery was our first choice. We had an agreement with Villarreal, and it was up to Emery if he wanted to take the nufc job or stay. 

Just now, nufc123 said:

Shouldnt take all reports for gospel, but it was widely reported that Emery was our first choice. We had an agreement with Villarreal, and it was up to Emery if he wanted to take the nufc job or stay. 

I'm incredibly greateful he turned us down.

He's just not on the same level as Eddie, regardless of the result at the weekend.

16 minutes ago, Irish Magpie said:

I understand that, but I was wondering what really led to that decision. It was being reported as fact, and it is not inconceivable that something happened behind the scenes - that we wouldn't know about - that led to that decsion and it still rankles him. Ergo, a vendetta. A desire to prove himself better than Wor Eddie.

That’s quite some mental gymnastics going on there 

1 minute ago, Mountain said:

I'm incredibly greateful he turned us down.

He's just not on the same level as Eddie, regardless of the result at the weekend.

Think Emery is one of the best in the PL. Happy with either of them.

11 minutes ago, Irish Magpie said:

I blinked too much! Had to slow it down to 0.25 speed and then I got it. If I'm not mistaken Livaremento recovers possession and lays it off to Wilson who slides the ball through. Miley shields it well and recovers from Joelintons second to capture attempt with ease.

(Incidentally, I am well into me 60's so forgive these old eyes.)

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

There's a lot to like about Emery as a coach but he does tend to be quite rigid. He's a great cup manager though.

That's the last word I would use to describe him. I've seen him change tactics three times in a match. MON didn't change tactics three times in his whole career.

1 hour ago, Geogaddi said:

Villa definitely peaked in that 3-0 game, they only won 3 out the last 7 league games after that, was just one of them games where everything they did worked and combined with our worst performance of the season, it just makes Villa look way better than they actually are. If they played like that every week they would win the league.

If we'd replicated the points totals in the 2/3s of the season Emery was with us over the whole season, we'd be in the Champions League too.

One of the reasons you looked so poor was we sussed you out from the off and didn't let you play.

Edited by brummie

What were MON’s tactics? I just remember him getting a quality wedge to spend at all his clubs but I have barely any recollection of the type of football he played. It wasn’t hoof it and it wasn’t about quality passing, what did he go for?

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

What were MON’s tactics? I just remember him getting a quality wedge to spend at all his clubs but I have barely any recollection of the type of football he played. It wasn’t hoof it and it wasn’t about quality passing, what did he go for?

Counter attacking.

I seem to remember there were reports of a sickness bug going round and Bruno and Joelinton were particularly off it I'm that game, coupled with Longstaff being missing. Not making excuses for the lads but the finest margins make a massive difference and two of our best players uncharacteristically struggling physically didn't help the performance. 

Edited by alexf

7 minutes ago, brummie said:

If we'd replicated the points totals in the 2/3s of the season Emery was with us over the whole season, we'd be in the Champions League too.

One of the reasons you looked so poor was we sussed you out from the off and didn't let you play.

He’s done an excellent job so far no doubt about it but the next step is to do it over a full season. I would be very surprised if he keeps up that sort of form over a full season and you finish top 4, Eddie managed to do it with us last season, let’s see if Emery can do it this season.

Edited by Geogaddi

10 minutes ago, brummie said:

That's the last word I would use to describe him. I've seen him change tactics three times in a match. MON didn't change tactics three times in his whole career.

I was mainly referring more to his time pre-Villareal. He's been great for Villa to date.