Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Imagine Howe pulling the old switcheroo if we are looking for a winner:

Tonali     Bruno

Miggy          Isak          Barnes

Wilson

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think it'll be Anderson for Tonali. 

I'd agree but in case I'm mistaken Howe has tended to play Anderson on the left of the 3 CMs?

I think it's Tonali vs Longstaff and Joelinton vs Willock vs Anderson

It's hard to see him not starting Anderson after this pre-season, but there's no way he's not starting Joelinton so I've no idea what he's going to do.

I'd imagine he'll go Bruno, Joelinton and Anderson just about if Longstaff is slightly off the pace fitness wise.

2 hours ago, STM said:

What I think the team will be:

Pope

Trippier    Schar     Botman     Burn

Bruno

Tonali

Joelinton

Miggy                                    Gordon

Isak

I think Anderson will be extremely unlucky not to start but Howes weight of trust in Joelinton will win over.

Had Longstaff not been injured during pre season, I think he would have started ahead of Tonali.

Gordon HAS to start, he's full of confidence and Barnes will have to wait his turn like everyone else.

The BIG difference, will be our bench. Chalk and cheese to previous Newcastle squads:

Dubravka 

Lascelles

Willock

Anderson

Longstaff 

Barnes

Wilson

Miley

Targett

Murphy 

To choose from. Lovely options.

I wonder when was the last time a PL club had an entirely English bench of outfield players. 

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Under Howe aren't City and technically Brentford the only side to have scored 3+ at SJP?

Yep, Man City twice and Brentford once. Only lost to Man City x2, Liverpool x2 and Arsenal in the league at SJP under Howe also in 33 games.

3 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Absolutely aching for us to give Liverpool a good hiding this season

Only team we've yet to score against at SJP under Howe.* Lost all games to them too. Game against them last season looking back is infuriating; given the chances we missed with 10 men and the way they capitulated against Real Madrid at Anfield only a few days later there's every chance we get back into that game 11v11. Almiron, ASM, Wilson all missed good chances and we hit the bar twice I believe? Certainly at least once, Burn header from a corner.

*With the exception of Leeds

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Only team we've yet to score against at SJP under Howe. Lost all games to them too. Game against them last season looking back is infuriating; given the chances we missed with 10 men and the way they capitulated against Real Madrid at Anfield only a few days later there's every chance we get back into that game 11v11. Almiron, ASM, Wilson all missed good chances and we hit the bar twice I believe? Certainly at least once, Burn header from a corner.

Agreed and got fucking robbed at Anfield into the bargain. They are the one I want to beat the most this season, even if that is a bit petty. Hate them honestly.

I reckon it'll be ... 

Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Pau, Tielemans, Luiz, McGinn, Buendia, Watkins, Diaby

Subs: Olsen, Kamara, Digne, Chambers, Bailey, Carlos, Coutinho, Philogene, Archer

... from us

Edited by brummie

2 minutes ago, brummie said:

I reckon it'll be ... 

Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Pau, Tielemans, Luiz, McGinn, Buendia, Watkins, Diaby

... from us

Moreno knackered?

2 minutes ago, brummie said:

I reckon it'll be ... 

... from us

That's a formidable team. It's going to be fascinating to watch.  

Really excited by Tielemans, he was excellent last night, played two truly magnificent balls for two of our goals. Looks like he's fitted in really quickly.

Considering Kamara was excellent for us last year, it's a tough call one of those two.

Just now, brummie said:

Really excited by Tielemans, he was excellent last night, played two truly magnificent balls for two of our goals. Looks like he's fitted in really quickly.

Considering Kamara was excellent for us last year, it's a tough call one of those two.

You’ll soon get sick of his laziness.