Newcastle United 5-1 Aston Villa - 12/08/23

Disco

Just now, Stifler said:

Sky are moving because of the merger between between 02 and Virgin Media.

I heard that they were going to go to Vodafone, who themselves are merging with 3.

Fair enough, I do know first hand they were v unhappy with the service O2 were providing for them as a reseller for a long while anyway though. 

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Happens at other grounds too. As you say it's due to the amount of people in one area pulling from the network.

Tends to be OK at smaller lower league grounds but big grounds I have issues. Couldn't get anything at Ibrox for example.

Both Ibrox and St James you say... guess Mike's left his old Telewest internet  router plugged in up there as well.

Next you will be telling me their speakers were crackly and they only have one CD for their song list! 

Say it after me...Mc Brunoooo!

Strange how the Gooners on that forum cheered the Villa goal, you'd think they are worried about something. The daft cunts will be cheering us on next weekend

Edited by Holloway
typos

Rewatched the match after attending yesterday. Just a few quick points overall about first game of the season.

Chaos at the turnstiles at the Gallowgate end with massive congestion and delays. Took me 25 times as long as it normally would.

Atmosphere on the concourse was great with those getting inside the ground early already in full swing. Match atmosphere  for the match great in the Gallowgate. Even when the levelled the fans got straight behind the team.

No pitch side clocks was a little odd as doubt it have much to do with the new rules. Wonder if it’s at EH’s request.

Predicted the starting 11 and even the first two subs to almost the minute days prior and said the game would be won/lost in the 2nd half 50/55-70/75mins as time and time again on the first game of the season there is always a lull for 20mins as teams get their second wind and I fancied us to get it first having played the extra pre-season game. So maybe I know a little ball after all ?

Really liked how we varied out tempo during the game. Obviously I love when we press high in beast mode but you can’t do that all game against good teams which Villa are one despite how we made them look at times when we did step it up.

Pope had no chance with goal but did almost everything asked of him really well except when Burn had to help him out. Speaking of Burn as cumbersome as he looks and a few moments aside I actually thought he played well overall with some big tackles and clearances at the right time and his character and commitment is clearly infectious. Botman was very solid but hoping we see him pinging the ball around further and quicker through the lines  as that seems to of gone out of his game a little. Trippier as usual lead the team and kept them calm when needed and Schär apart from one great pass could’ve played in his slippers and I wouldn’t of noticed he was that good positionally.

Midfield a work in progress clearly and will no doubt get better over time but we have a bit of everything in there from all three which I love. Tonali the standout of the three followed by Joelinton. Bruno not having his best day (never seen him apologise to his teammates so much) which shows how much room there is for improvement but could be something quite special if it clicks.

Gordon was the pick of the forwards until he gassed and the Barnes picked up the baton superbly. Definitely has a trademark move (The one two) trademark assist and trademark finish. Actually though Isak had a patchy game first half playing the ball out of touch and not weighing the easy pass to thread Miggy through but it was great to see him what I call centre forward goals and even more so winning two shoulder barges against bigger opponents which I feared he’d be incapable of when he first arrived.

Special mention to my boy Jacob Murphy. Great cameo. Made one and should’ve had two assists to his name with Wilson delaying the last minute finish after a great pass from him putting him in one on one and a possible goal if Wilson had of returned the favour when he was open instead of taking the long range lob. Infectious squad player and proving all those doubters wrong. You know who you all are ? 

Now just for the small matter ofMan City away ? No KDB and a long trip back from Greece after the midweek Super Cup helps us somewhat you’d think though I’ve a feeling Foden will be the main problem if selected.

Great to be back though. Let’s hope we are still full of smiles come May… ???

8 hours ago, Shearergol said:

Don’t understand the Bruno criticism; watch the highlights back and you’ll see how involved he was 

Involved but got caught a couple of times. Not a bad game but he does need to iron out those lapses IMO.

5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Rewatched the match after attending yesterday. Just a few quick points overall about first game of the season.

Chaos at the turnstiles at the Gallowgate end with massive congestion and delays. Took me 25 times as long as it normally would.

Atmosphere on the concourse was great with those getting inside the ground early already in full swing. Match atmosphere  for the match great in the Gallowgate. Even when the levelled the fans got straight behind the team.

No pitch side clocks was a little odd as doubt it have much to do with the new rules. Wonder if it’s at EH’s request.

Predicted the starting 11 and even the first two subs to almost the minute days prior and said the game would be won/lost in the 2nd half 50/55-70/75mins as time and time again on the first game of the season there is always a lull for 20mins as teams get their second wind and I fancied us to get it first having played the extra pre-season game. So maybe I know a little ball after all ?

Really liked how we varied out tempo during the game. Obviously I love when we press high in beast mode but you can’t do that all game against good teams which Villa are one despite how we made them look at times when we did step it up.

Pope had no chance with goal but did almost everything asked of him really well except when Burn had to help him out. Speaking of Burn as cumbersome as he looks and a few moments aside I actually thought he played well overall with some big tackles and clearances at the right time and his character and commitment is clearly infectious. Botman was very solid but hoping we see him pinging the ball around further and quicker through the lines  as that seems to of gone out of his game a little. Trippier as usual lead the team and kept them calm when needed and Schär apart from one great pass could’ve played in his slippers and I wouldn’t of noticed he was that good positionally.

Midfield a work in progress clearly and will no doubt get better over time but we have a bit of everything in there from all three which I love. Tonali the standout of the three followed by Joelinton. Bruno not having his best day (never seen him apologise to his teammates so much) which shows how much room there is for improvement but could be something quite special if it clicks.

Gordon was the pick of the forwards until he gassed and the Barnes picked up the baton superbly. Definitely has a trademark move (The one two) trademark assist and trademark finish. Actually though Isak had a patchy game first half playing the ball out of touch and not weighing the easy pass to thread Miggy through but it was great to see him what I call centre forward goals and even more so winning two shoulder barges against bigger opponents which I feared he’d be incapable of when he first arrived.

Special mention to my boy Jacob Murphy. Great cameo. Made one and should’ve had two assists to his name with Wilson delaying the last minute finish after a great pass from him putting him in one on one and a possible goal if Wilson had of returned the favour when he was open instead of taking the long range lob. Infectious squad player and proving all those doubters wrong. You know who you all are ? 

Now just for the small matter ofMan City away ? No KDB and a long trip back from Greece after the midweek Super Cup helps us somewhat you’d think though I’ve a feeling Foden will be the main problem if selected.

Great to be back though. Let’s hope we are still full of smiles come May… ???

got there at 5.

a few of the entrances had massive queues.

we picked the gallowgate turnstiles with the shortest queue.  queued less than 5 minutes and the four of us were straight through.

dont know if  people realise you can use another turnstile. you dont have to use the one marked on ur season ticket as long as you are in the right stand.

You'll have to excuse me because I've had a few drinks, but I'm trying to rein myself in a bit. When we were on it yesterday that's probably the most excited I've been about what we're going to be this side of Keegan. I had the same feeling that I had at the start of 94/95, when we were electric.

Pre-season was okay, but that match felt like the big reveal of the team we are. The coherence between the players, the urgency, the crispness, and the quality each player showed was an absolute pleasure to watch.

Tonali was outstanding and something about him felt transformational, Isak is even better than I thought he was, and Barnes looks fantastic, but thinking back (and I can't believe I'm saying this considering how much I disliked him before we signed him) but I was probably most excited about how good Gordon can be.

He was fantastic, so much enthusiasm and direct, incisive play. In a team with plenty of exciting players, when he was on the ball he probably excited me the most in terms of his unpredictability.

Is there a reason why the extended highlights are always 10 minutes (and a few seconds)? Yesterdays didn't even include the Wilson missed chance for example. They pretty much never include any saves from Pope neither, obviously it's because they want to show our attacking play, but I find it very annoying and quite disrespectful to Pope tbh :lol:

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Is there a reason why the extended highlights are always 10 minutes (and a few seconds)? Yesterdays didn't even include the Wilson missed chance for example. They pretty much never include any saves from Pope neither, obviously it's because they want to show our attacking play, but I find it very annoying and quite disrespectful to Pope tbh :lol:

They always faff on for about a minute showing the team lining up etc as well

3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Changes YouTube algorithm (it coming up on suggested) plus I think earns the video more money.

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

If you look at other clubs highlights, it's exactly the same, so I'm guessing there is some sort of regulation in place that clubs are only allowed to show a certain amount of footage etc.

As an example here's Man City's extended highlights from Friday:

https://youtu.be/nwjfxKsG4AY

I think it's a rule, it's the same for Match of the Day they're allowed to show a maximum number of minutes per game. Seem to remember it coming to light when Man Utd beat Arsenal 8-3 and they had like 9 minutes to play with or something.