Newcastle United 5-1 Aston Villa - 12/08/23

Disco

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Been pretty baffled at the overrating of Villa on here. :lol: not sure if it's based on their performance against you last season. 

Sliced open with ease today, and a pile of defensive mistakes into the bargain. They're nowhere near as good as people think. Completely dominated by the top three second half of last season. They're no threat at all of breaking into the top four. 

Today has been men against boys. 

I'd say that's a tad harsh. They were in it for the first 60 minutes, and that's without mentioning the injuries to Mings and Buendia that have made this a truly shit week. 

I'd say this; the data for last year had Villa as a bit more lucky than good. There is always a likelihood they regress this season because of that, but they did drop big money on Diaby and Torres. I agree, they're not contenders for the top four, and I think they'll probably get top 8 if it goes right. 

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Hinchcliffe wondering whether it would have been this bad if Mings stayed on the pitch. :yao:

Not sure why the sky sports commentary pool is thin enough to use him, Don Goodman and Alan Smith.  All absolute fucking whoppers.

Just now, Viana said:

I'd say that's a tad harsh. They were in it for the first 60 minutes, and that's without mentioning the injuries to Mings and Buendia that have made this a truly shit week. 

I'd say this; the data for last year had Villa as a bit more lucky than good. There is always a likelihood they regress this season because of that, but they did drop big money on Diaby and Torres. I agree, they're not contenders for the top four, and I think they'll probably get top 8 if it goes right. 

You were running past statues in that second half. They don't have it. Games are longer than 60 minutes. 

Even before today I'd have been nervous about Newcastle coming to Old Trafford, but completely confident with Villa. Feel free to quote when it bites me in the arse. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Good grief that midfield three. Thought Bruno was sloppy n'all but still, fuck me what a unit. 

Sensational second half. Hilarious that Villa are getting tipped to topple us. Thanks for the points and the early momentum, lads. 

Such a tough midfield man, with so much character and quality. Unreal.

We could have genuinely scored 8, 9 or 10. And not just from crazy chances we missed some relative tap ins.

Absolute statement win as well broadcast to the world.

Well, I'm scared now about the hope :)

Edited by M4

Statement win. Look lethal going forward. Bring on Man City. (I still expect us to lose that mind lol)

Ratings

Pope - 7 (only low cos one shakey corner clearance)

Trippier - 7 His deliveries seemed off today

Schar - 9 Imperious I thought

Botman 8 Nearly let a goal in falling on his arse, but assist!

Burn - 6 Diaby had his number i thought

Tonali - 9 Thought he may take time to settle, he looks absolutely class. 

Bruno - 5 Poor game by his standards

Joelinton - 9 Doing the 'i am everywhere doing everything' and even had some nice short technicall passing thing

Gordon - 9 Looked great, lovely assist, caused them problems

Isak - 9 He's a proper finisher, so calm, should have had a hat trick

Almiron - 8 Every blade of grass as ever. Bad cross notwithstanding

Subs

Wilson - 8 Unfortunate to be second choice

Barnes - 9 looked very very dangerous

Others not on long enough to earn score

Edited by Tiresias

One of the most satisfying wins i've ever enjoyed watching. We so owed these for April and all the pre-season hype they've been getting. Aye, Emery has improved them but got sick of fucking hearing about what they're going to do this season and how tremendous things are. Good luck to them after today but we are fucking brilliant man. Love everyone on here.