Lewis Hall

Paully

1 minute ago, TRon said:

He ticks all those boxes but you did miss quite an important one: He's a Newcastle fan which probably played a big part in this move going through. :pow:

You're right, but I purposefully ignored it b/c ultimately I don't think it played a huge role for us in targeting him - don't get me wrong, it's nice to have, though.

3 minutes ago, Memphis said:

You're right, but I purposefully ignored it b/c ultimately I don't think it played a huge role for us in targeting him - don't get me wrong, it's nice to have, though.

I think it might have swayed him to come here over going anywhere else like Palace though. Also might have persuaded Chelsea as they would have had a harder job rejecting the bid if they knew he was set on it.

46 minutes ago, prefabtoon said:

It must be a hard TO sell the dream to the young academy players.

When they know the chance of first team football is very slim.

Apparently they pay the top youngsters well.And maybe

that's the reason they sign for Chelsea

But surely they are holding them back if they are not getting any game time.

To be fair they get top class training and development, and Chelsea will sell them on when there is interest in them and there is no pathway for them to the first team for Chelsea.

A good number of them end up doing well elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, TRon said:

Spot on there. Finally it feels like we are buying players we actually need in the positions we are short. Not just players who are at the end of their contracts so let's grab a bargain a la Hendrick and Colback.

Bargains at the time but an absolute hindrance when we can't shift the rubbish further down the line and they are stinking up the place.
Just those two names alone show how far we have come in such a short space of time. Night and day.

8 minutes ago, gbandit said:

How have we managed to get that deal?

suspect a lot is on the player side, ie informing Chelsea that he does not intend to sign a new contract and would like to join NUFC. Not much you can do from that point

10 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Are there any benefits to loan with obligation other than FFP?

I guess this would give us the chance to sign a RCB aswell?

We probably end up paying more money overall, but it basically means only the loan fee will go on the books this year.

23 hours ago, gbandit said:

How have we managed to get that deal?

At the risk of sounding like a cult member, I think we've done it by being patient and persistent.

The briefings from the club this summer have centre around being creative within FFP limitations while also being patient. We could have gone and paid £30m for Kieran Tierney in the first week of the summer and have a brand new left back.

Instead, Dan Ashworth and the higher ups built out a strategy that prioritized certain positions and then tried to tick off the other requirements thereafter.

Sandro Tonali was clearly the top of that tree. After that, it would appear that we've waited for the dust to settle before moving. James Maddison going to Spurs gave Leicester a fat cash injection and likely lowered the fee they'd accept for Harvey Barnes - a player they knew wanted out. If we'd steamed in first they may be seeking that 40-50m they were demanding of Maddison the year before. 

On the other hand, we went in early for Tino Livramento, and clearly didn't want to exceed that £30/35m mark we set ourselves. It would have been easy to throw an extra £10-15m on top in bonuses just to get the deal done at their requested £50m. That is especially true when you consider Southampton looked like they had deals for Romeo Lavia and James Ward-Prowse sewn up early. Had they gone through they weren't going to need the money, and Livramento wasn't going to force an exit either.

Then you come to Lewis Hall. Again, perhaps if FFP wasn't a thing we would have upped our bid until they said yes a bit like what Chelsea did with Caicedo. Instead, we stayed patient and through a slice of good luck we arrived at a point where Chelsea needed the money and the player was eager to leave. 

We've undoubtedly had our fair share of good luck this summer, I wouldn't want to dismiss that, but the ability to take advantage of that luck is because we came into the summer with such a clear plan of action.

Edited by Viana