Lewis Hall

Paully

May be a huge case of putting 2 and 2 together, but watched the Amazon episode this morning... on the back of seeing the few semi-unsricpted scenes we saw with Amanda negotiating with Everton for Gordon don't think it would be anything but a straight purchase. 

Chelsea won't be screwing us with a buy-back, or 40% sell of like they did with Southampton/Tino - confident we'd either negotiate those out of the picture, or just walk away.

Edited by Hot Since 1882

1 minute ago, Viana said:

At the risk of sounding like a cult member, I think we've done it by being patient and persistent/

The briefings from the club this summer have been about being creative within FFP limitations while also being patient. We could have gone and paid £30m for Kieran Tierney in the first week of the summer and have a brand new left back.

Instead, Dan Ashworth and the higher ups built out a strategy that prioritized certain positions and then tried to tick off the other requirements thereafter.

Sandro Tonali was clearly the top of that tree. After that, it would appear that we've waited for the dust to settle before moving. James Maddison going to Spurs gave Leicester a fat cash injection and likely lowered the fee they'd accept for Harvey Barnes - a player they knew wanted out. If we'd steamed in first they may be seeking that 40-50m they were demanding of Maddison the year before. 

On the other hand, we went in early for Tino Livramento, and clearly didn't want to exceed that £30/35m mark we set ourselves. It would have been easy to throw an extra £10-15m on top in bonuses just to get the deal done at their requested £50m. That is especially true when you consider Southampton looked like they had deals for Romeo Lavia and James Ward-Prowse sewn up early. Had they gone through they weren't going to need the money, and Livramento wasn't going to force an exit either.

Then you come to Lewis Hall. Again, perhaps if FFP wasn't a thing we would have upped our bid until they said yes a bit like what Chelsea did with Caicedo. Instead, we stayed patient and through a slice of good luck we arrived at a point where Chelsea needed the money and the player was eager to leave. 

We've undoubtedly had our fair share of good luck this summer. I wouldn't want to dismiss that, but the ability to take advantage of that luck is because we came into the summer with such a clear plan of action.

I'm not sure it was a slice of good luck as much as making a pretty good  assessment of Chelsea's position, similar to Everton with Gordon and Lei ester with Barnes.

2 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

I won't believe this is a done deal until Adam P gets his name on a toon top and bangs on the club shop wall...

Wait a minute... Lads, it's done.

Must reserve the letters for that cunt

Went in earlier cos the bairn wanted Tonali on the back

Got telt there's no a's🙄

9 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

I won't believe this is a done deal until Adam P gets his name on a toon top and bangs on the club shop wall...

Pissed off with myself that I've read this and just gone straight to Youtube and watched Adam P 

13 minutes ago, jack j said:

Must reserve the letters for that cunt

Went in earlier cos the bairn wanted Tonali on the back

Got telt there's no a's🙄

That’s just embarrassing. I can understand whacky letters like Q or Z but any of the vowels is just a shambles.

19 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Ring up Total Sport and ask him. Little weirdo's on there....

27 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

:lol: His video literally says done deal, as does the one before. Love it. 

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Are we thinking it’s a loan with obligation to allow us to also get a CB, or because we can’t afford to buy this summer due to ffp ?

Yes. I think there’s more to come this window. Champions league marra! :indi:

Edited by PauloGeordio

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Are we thinking it’s a loan with obligation to allow us to also get a CB, or because we can’t afford to buy this summer due to ffp ?

Think it gives us more flexibility in negotiations if a RCB or RW/AM becomes attainable. We would likely still want any more incomings on a similar deal but might still have some room to straight purchase if needed. It's ideal for now.

4 minutes ago, Smal said:

why the fuck would Chelsea help us out by letting us load him and defer the payment? :lol:. Mental club.

Because they may want to do business with us in the future and our owners are pretty friendly with each other. Small world the premier league. 

6 minutes ago, Smal said:

why the fuck would Chelsea help us out by letting us load him and defer the payment? :lol:. Mental club.

Because they’ll need wiggle room next summer too. And this kind of deal guarantees them ~30m FFP wiggle room next summer, having it already lined up. 

Edited by cubaricho

3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Because they’ll need wiggle room next summer too. And this kind of deal guarantees them ~30m FFP wiggle room next summer, having it already lined up. 

sure, but they’re strengthening a top 4 rival for nowt this season

8 minutes ago, Smal said:

sure, but they’re strengthening a top 4 rival for nowt this season

I don’t think the clubs look at it that way, both in the same position of having to play the accounting game. For all intents and purposes it’s a permanent transfer. 

Edited by GeordieDazzler