Lewis Hall

Paully

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

He’s a classy footballer, he’ll show it in spades this season if he gets enough game time but he’ll have some very up and down performances and I do think the defensive side of his game needs a lot of work 

I do think he'll sort it out because he's young but he needs to work on his decision making (pass selection in potentially dangerous defensive situations especially), positioning, pass accuracy and physicality as well. Maybe my expectations for him were too high too early.

Very naive and lightweight for me. Needs to be LWB in a 5 I reckon to maximise his ability. Alongside a LCB of Burn to learn where to be and when. Burns positioning is by and large very good, as is his decision making. He just struggles with pace and the composure on the ball.

Edited by Heron

18 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I like him a lot more than Kelly from what i've seen so far from both.

Neither are left backs that's the problem. Kelly looks a centre half and Hall? Fuck knows but he's not a left back

6 minutes ago, tinoasprilla said:

You can’t judge him with burn and Krath at cb neither can pass a ball 5 yards.  We are doing ok but they are the issue just leads to us losing possesion

You can judge elements of his game. Defensively he isn't strong enough for a £30million left back in the Premier League. His positioning was off and he is too lightweight and small to impose himself on attackers. Not yet anyways. Technically, he wasted cross after cross too.

I accept he was put under pressure when passing around the back owing to the lack of composure of others but really his game needs rounding in a few aspects to come up to the price tag assigned to him (which of course isn't his fault).

I reckon opposition managers will target him as our weak link, and duly did so tonight from the very off.

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, Crimson Cardigan said:

I think it’s pretty clear at this point why Howe didn’t just chuck him in last season. Very lightweight and makes some bad decisions, but there’s lots to work with going forward.

I think it's pretty clear you know fuck all about football.

24 minutes ago, Heron said:

You can judge elements of his game. Defensively he isn't strong enough for a £30million left back in the Premier League. His positioning was off and he is too lightweight and small to impose himself on attackers. Not yet anyways. Technically, he wasted cross after cross too.

I accept he was put under pressure when passing around the back owing to the lack of composure of others but really his game needs rounding in a few aspects to come up to the price tag assigned to him (which of course isn't his fault).

I reckon opposition managers will target him as our weak link, and duly did so tonight from the very off.

If he’s our weak link this season I think we’ll be reet. (I do somewhat agree mind, he’s very much not a defensive full back.)

Poor first half performance, some sloppy passes and getting rounded quite easily at times but going forward he was solid and grew into the game defensively late on. Can see he has everything, just still raw, keep playing him and watch him grow he will own that spot for years.

I just don’t think he’s a defender. He doesn’t have defensive instincts, there’s been a few times already this season where he just lets the ball go past him in the 6 yard box. 

Fantastic little footballer though, would love to see him further forward. 

6 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Naah, if you can't play longer passes and only got one foot you are not excellent.

If your pass success rate as a centre back is nigh on 100%, you're playing it forward quickly to a team mate who's in space and you're not putting them in danger, I don't think it matters too much.

England squad announcement today.

Not sure he's done anywhere near enough yet to get into the squad. This season is probably a bit early for him. 

The lack of any decent LBs will help his cause though.

Think Hall was fine last night tbh. He’s still young and learning. As soon as we started pegging them back in the second half he was superb. Perfect LB for a progressive team on the front foot. Not suited to backs-to-the-wall defensive performances though. But we have Kelly for that I suppose. 

41 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If your pass success rate as a centre back is nigh on 100%, you're playing it forward quickly to a team mate who's in space and you're not putting them in danger, I don't think it matters too much.

Burn's passes are to Hall, Krafth and Pope. It may be tactical, but almost everytime he gets the ball, he switches it to his left and plays it to Hall. Opponents of course scout this and it puts Hall under more pressure.

Opponents can let Krafth and Burn keep the ball, they cannot do anything with it anyway.

Difference between Botman/Schär and Burn is huge regarding passing. Burn does not take risks. 

2 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Burn's passes are to Hall, Krafth and Pope. It may be tactical, but almost everytime he gets the ball, he switches it to his left and plays it to Hall. Opponents of course scout this and it puts Hall under more pressure.

Opponents can let Krafth and Burn keep the ball, they cannot do anything with it anyway.

Difference between Botman/Schär and Burn is huge regarding passing. Burn does not take risks. 

Burn sticks to the knitting which is great when you have Schar doing the ball playing. Take him out and you’ve essentially got Krafth doing the same. Logic suggests we put Kelly in but two lefties at CB almost appears to be taboo in footballing circles.

5 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Burn sticks to the knitting which is great when you have Schar doing the ball playing. Take him out and you’ve essentially got Krafth doing the same. Logic suggests we put Kelly in but two lefties at CB almost appears to be taboo in footballing circles.

2 right footers seems to be ok, but not 2 lefties...

Going back to topic, Hall will score quite a few. Likes to get into shooting positions.

One of the problems I feel, and it’s not exclusive to Hall but definitely affects him, is I don’t feel our team are very good at movement, plenty of times someone will get possession and there is no options to pass to, but no movement either. 

So when Hall gets the ball under pressure and has no one to really pass to, I’m not sure that’s his fault.