Lewis Hall

Paully

We haven't seen anywhere near enough of him to make any kind of judgement, and arriving at anything conclusive re: his potential and value to us in the future is already trickier than usual when he is only 19. 

Therefore I'm happy to go with the judgement of the club on this one - they clearly identified him as someone who could be moulded into a CL level left-back in time. Unless they have real reason to overturn that judgement, I'd like him to stay. 

The fact he doesn’t get any minutes would lead me to feel we could use that money more effectively.

It’s a lot to tie up in ‘a project’.

Don’t think we’re financially at the level yet where we can do that given how thin the squad is in other areas. 

That’s not meant as a knock to his potential. I’ve the same level of an idea as to his potential as everyone else on the forum. None. 

It's a total cop out answer, but whatever Eddie wants to do. I'm just cautious of how nonplussed we were about Gordon and keep thinking back to how gutted Chelsea fans were when he came here.

45 minutes ago, Lotus said:

The fact he doesn’t get any minutes would lead me to feel we could use that money more effectively.

It’s a lot to tie up in ‘a project’.

Don’t think we’re financially at the level yet where we can do that given how thin the squad is in other areas. 

That’s not meant as a knock to his potential. I’ve the same level of an idea as to his potential as everyone else on the forum. None. 

He doesn’t get any minutes yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Zero said:

I just hope we can avoid the deal become permanent. I mean, I rate him, but if Howe doesn’t then it’s just a waste of money.

There’s got to be an ‘out’ that we’re consciously aiming for. I know someone mentioned not being relegated as the trigger but we’ve had players limping about and the game gone and still not used him as a warm body.

Isn’t this relegation clause all originating from a Chelsea ITK account? With the copy and paste accounts following suit and then the local journos, who seem to know fuck all. Then mentioning it in passing. 

Actual journalists have said the clause is league position dependant. Chelsea ITKs then took it the step further and said it was survival.

It may be that we sign him and with a full pre-season under his belt, he plays a much bigger role next season. 

7 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Isn’t this relegation clause all originating from a Chelsea ITK account? With the copy and paste accounts following suit and then the local journos, who seem to know fuck all. Then mentioning it in passing. 

Probably. Just looked at the London Evening Standard in December and they said:

That clause will be activated based on appearances and other performance-related factors, but has yet to be met.

Since then Hall has played an additional 23 minutes across 8 more games. 268 minutes in total so far, so less than 3 full games out of a potential of 3150 mins (plus conservatively at least another 180 mins added time).

Edited by Nucasol

I respect people being interested/confused/pissed off with this situation, but it's got to the point of being pointless to talk about at this point.

Either there's a master plan that involves him staying and being really important next season, a master plan that involves him leaving this summer, or it's a shitshow where he ends up being good at Chelsea or a forgotten man here for years to come. We're only going to find out around about October next season. The whole thing seems like a waste of time until then, nothing new happens.

54 minutes ago, 80 said:

I respect people being interested/confused/pissed off with this situation, but it's got to the point of being pointless to talk about at this point.

Either there's a master plan that involves him staying and being really important next season, a master plan that involves him leaving this summer, or it's a shitshow where he ends up being good at Chelsea or a forgotten man here for years to come. We're only going to find out around about October next season. The whole thing seems like a waste of time until then, nothing new happens.

You've missed the most obvious and likely route.

1 hour ago, 80 said:

Hit the nail on the head, completely agree

Thing is, if he stays, he has to be of use next season, we can't be buying another left back with him, burn and target on the books, and if he's here but still not used, then LB will once again be a weak point... Can't see the club letting this happen 

Just now, The Prophet said:

There's three very normal explanations though.

1) it just hasn't worked out as we'd hoped.

2) it's a signing for the medium to long term.

3) a bit of both.

Also we do have a player in the position that Howe trusts in the short term, albeit fans don't always agree.

I think it's a fairly normal situation, I really hope Hall comes good. 

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

There's three very normal explanations though.

1) it just hasn't worked out as we'd hoped.

2) it's a signing for the medium to long term.

3) a bit of both.

People are missing the obvious - the ONLY person who plays left back is Dan Burn...

Targett couldn't get a game

Livramento can't get a game

Hall can't get a game

It's most likely nothing to do with Hall, it's just that he's not Dan Burn.

43 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Don't get this signing at all. We have so many LBs already. Livro can play LB, looks far better and mystifyingly he can't even get a game.

On paper it made perfect sense, though. Burn is getting on, Targett is good but not elite, Tino is likely Trippier's long term replacement. A loan with option for a £28m buy for someone we'd hoped (and still might) turn into an important player for the next 10-12 years was worth it. 

On 15/02/2024 at 13:02, 80 said:

Breaking my own rule here but I thought it was a little vote of confidence from Howe in today's press conference at the 22 minute mark when said that he believed last summer's signings would eventually come good. Effectively acknowledged that last summer doesn't appear stellar right now but that he believes in the long run the transfers from that window will prove valuable. Hopefully he's figuring Hall in among them.

Think the problem with Hall, Howe clearly has a very specific ask of players in this system. Hall for me is more of a CM then he’s a LB at this current stage in his career development.

But he’s then stuck between two places. Howe doesn’t favour him defensively (which is understandable as it’s an area of his game he’s young at playing in), then in midfield, it’s an all rounder role required, which again he’s more geared and talented going forward rather than backwards

Do think overall it’s poor to not to use home hardly at all, because he’s not even playing u23 games. So it’s literally a year of minimal to no football in his crucial development stage. Hopefully it’s a case of what’s happening on training ground is far greater and we see benefits next season. 

Do feel he’s one of our better technical players, who can play keep ball in tight spaces, and sort of players we need to have in the side more as we move forward and need to pull teams side to side and invite press on. 

1 hour ago, Sibierski said:

Think the problem with Hall, Howe clearly has a very specific ask of players in this system. Hall for me is more of a CM then he’s a LB at this current stage in his career development.

But he’s then stuck between two places. Howe doesn’t favour him defensively (which is understandable as it’s an area of his game he’s young at playing in), then in midfield, it’s an all rounder role required, which again he’s more geared and talented going forward rather than backwards

Do think overall it’s poor to not to use home hardly at all, because he’s not even playing u23 games. So it’s literally a year of minimal to no football in his crucial development stage. Hopefully it’s a case of what’s happening on training ground is far greater and we see benefits next season. 

Do feel he’s one of our better technical players, who can play keep ball in tight spaces, and sort of players we need to have in the side more as we move forward and need to pull teams side to side and invite press on. 

If he’s better as a midfielder it’s even more damning of Howe’s view of the lad, given that we’re on the bones of our arse and have a school kid playing every week in there.  We’ve got several players who can play LB. 

White coming on in MF to replace Miley has to be the final nail in this coffin.  I can only guess that the club are trying to extricate themselves from a permanent deal now.  This isn’t Howe easing him in - he doesn’t rate the lad.