Lewis Hall

Paully

2 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

It’s almost like Howe knows what he’s doing with him. Classy on the ball, can attack, just needs to develop his defensive side and develop naturally over time.

Tbf he’s only playing because there are no other senior options. 

I think we’ve seen why Howe was hesitant to put him in. We’ve also seen why we’ve spent so much money on him.  He has bags of talent. But he needs to develop his game. 

Glad he had a wonderful game.  This run of games will do him wonders. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Tbf he’s only playing because there are no other senior options. 

I think we’ve seen why Howe was hesitant to put him in. We’ve also seen why we’ve spent so much money on him.  He has bags of talent. But he needs to develop his game. 

Glad he had a wonderful game.  This run of games will do him wonders. 

Yeah agreed and will be interesting to see what happens next season. Like do they get an experienced LB and rotate him with Hall? What happens with Targett etc?

1 hour ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Today he finally looked like the player we thought we signed.

This is what happens when you get games. Understand he had defensive work to do, both him and Eddie have said as much, but also feel we've held him back too long. 

Next season, he's a proper option.

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah agreed and will be interesting to see what happens next season. Like do they get an experienced LB and rotate him with Hall? What happens with Targett etc?

As good as he's been cb for us burn had obviously played most games lb , I reckon we'll go with hall and burn with targett going, and maybe if we do get Kelly , he's be another Other option 

1 minute ago, tombrownnufc3 said:

As good as he's been cb for us burn had obviously played most games lb , I reckon we'll go with hall and burn with targett going, and maybe if we do get Kelly , he's be another Other option 

Disagree. Burn is far better at CB, I don't care how many games he has played at LB.  He could be a back up LB but IMO he will be playing CB from now on. I don't think we should spend any more on the LB position.

5 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Disagree. Burn is far better at CB, I don't care how many games he has played at LB.  He could be a back up LB but IMO he will be playing CB from now on. I don't think we should spend any more on the LB position.

Yeah I agree that hes been great. Like I said he's been really good since he dropped into there , but also Eddie is quite stubborn . He trusts him there and he will get games there next season if he feels it tactically right and we have better cb options than now 

9 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Certainly looks that way. He's been brilliant the last couple of games. Carries himself well as a captain to boot.

Very very very slim chance of making the England squad now?

Southgate has been at our last 2 games now and the squad sizes have gone up to 26. Plus England have no fit LBs it would seem and even Tripps might struggle to be fit for the summer to fill in there. Long shot obviously but it's not impossible.

Apparently Colwill due back today for Chelsea. Chilwell is still unknown for a return. Don’t know about Shaw. Tripps seems to be closest.

12 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Today he finally looked like the player we thought we signed.

He is only 19!

Think Eddie has played it perfectly with him. Yes, it made no sense at the time, when we had no players but he was clearly not ready then, but looking like he might be now. 

If he can finish the season at LB, it will give him a lot of confidence going into the summer and next season.

Im ready to give Eddie lots of praise for what we have achieved this season, but not giving any minutes to Lewis Hall during our worst injury spell isnt going to be one of them.

it’s amazing how much better he looks physically compared to the start of the season more than anything imo. 

The more I think about it, the more I think Eddie may have done the right thing in not playing him over the Christmas period, firstly as he looks much more physically able to play our style then he did at the start of the season, and secondly, he was barely 18, and the team was at a really low point and shot of confidence, bringing on a young player in that environment could have been detrimental to his career, so playing an experienced player to get through that moment, even if performing badly makes sense as he's mentally more able to cope with it, and protect Hall at the same point.

3 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Morning all! That pass! 

The pass was decent but the aggression and speed of transition after intercepting was better!

I don't get people talking about the defensive side of his game. I thought he did great defensively yesterday and he was excellent going forward as well. He's surprisingly good in the air for someone of his size. There was one occasion where he dwelled on the ball and had it knicked off him, but that's the only mistake I can remember him making.

Pretty telling that since Dan Burn stopped playing left back, the number of goals we've conceded has reduced by about 250%. In part due to how well Burn has played at CB admittedly, but actually having a proper mobile full back playing full back makes a world of difference. 

1 hour ago, Displayname said:

Im ready to give Eddie lots of praise for what we have achieved this season, but not giving any minutes to Lewis Hall during our worst injury spell isnt going to be one of them.

Yeah, I think it's premature to say it was a great piece of management. I'm not sure Eddie would say it was himself, to be honest. Him playing well now doesn't prove he couldn't have played well when he wasn't playing. It doesn't disprove it either, in fairness - it might well be true that he shouldn't have been on the pitch back then, even in an attacking position ahead of Burn at LB.

Time will tell ultimately, it'll be interesting if the underlying story ever comes out.

With more games his confidence alone will make him even better and feel at home. Add that to his ridiculous talent and technical ability as well as considering that he is only 19. He has the time and the world at his feet. You just can’t teach someone the technical ability he has overall like passing and such. Already at a very young age you can see his awareness, vision and decision making on the ball. He will improve a lot defensively in the years to come, but I just want to add one thing. Let’s not forget that a player will always have a certain style, supreme attributes and ones that of course aren’t their best sides as a footballer. It’s a balance. It’s stupid to expect a defender to be like Nesta defensively and like Marcelo offensively. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yeah, I think it's premature to say it was a great piece of management. I'm not sure Eddie would say it was himself, to be honest. Him playing well now doesn't prove he couldn't have played well when he wasn't playing. It doesn't disprove it either, in fairness - it might well be true that he shouldn't have been on the pitch back then, even in an attacking position ahead of Burn at LB.

Time will tell ultimately, it'll be interesting if the underlying story ever comes out.

People might not remember how bad things were at that time. The same players playing 90mins twice a week, barely being able to run the last 30 mins every game. Have a hard time believing leaving Hall out was all part of some mastermind plan of building his confidence up. Think that is easily refuted considering he got subbed out twice at half time being left as the scape goat earlier on the season.

Personally just think that despite all his brilliance, Eddie has some weaknesses. Having blindspots and being stubborn is one of them, especially in periods with a hectic schedule.

Edited by Displayname

28 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yup. I personally can't shake the feeling that if he was trusted earlier he would've been up to speed earlier but it's speculation that will never be proven either way and not worth the energy debating at this point.

The important thing is that the lad's officially arriving, Eddie's began to trust him and I'm delighted for him.