Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Rich said:

Would Phil Foden be the best player for any other team in the league?

when he gets to play in this position, yeah. Him, Salah and Saka are the best outside of Man City now Kane’s gone.

1 minute ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Actually, think Almiron is the only fucker making any runs off the ball. The midfield three are so static and no one is breaking behind. Big Joe notably.

Not sure if this is Howe's ask but it's been quite flat and very slow.

Agree. Also think we are playing to safe, and not trying to play direct. Dont think Bruno and Big Joe is up to speed yet after the summer break. Bruno has been better but I think he was much better this time last year, and we are also missing those smart passes from him.

8 minutes ago, Shak said:

Christ, always forget how boring Man City are. I mean, you have to respect the way they pull it off because it's so hard to do... but fuck me is it dull :lol:

For Pep this is 90%+ of what he's experienced as a player and manager.

Makes you appreciate the ups and downs really and different sorts of games you get when you're a meer competitor.

Why you lose interest when you've completed a game or a few seasons in on champ.

Edited by Jonas

With Gordon on a yellow, get him off for Wilson. Bit more presence in the air and stick Isak on the left where he can get some space with the ball at his feet.

Edited by Aiston

Havent enjoyed supporting our club like this since my two other favorite periods (when we had cisse and demba ba up front, and rafa’s efforts to save our club). win or lose, we are fun to watch again and the best team in the world isnt utterly dominating us. 

i get the feeling that our regular players are not bringing tonali into the game much, or using/trusting him on the ball. Barnes should come on

Not bad, we mostly contained them, but wow, what a moment of quality to take the lead. Gabriel Jesus doesn't finish that.

On our side, Isak is isolated and we need to get him more involved higher up the pitch. Miggy struggling a bit and Joelinton not quite himself. The others have mostly been fine. 

If we keep plugging away, the odd chance will come, and against someone this good, you have to take them.

The problem for us as supporters is that the way we set up to try and nullify City means that we were always going to give them plenty of the ball, meaning they have space and time to pick passes out and look dominant.

We have reduced them to one shot on target and only a few half chances so we have been reasonably solid defensively, which was the strategy from the start.

We're being treated with respect, they're up for it and have us well-scouted. Player for player, they're better than us at virtually every position so we have to hope for them to make mistakes. They haven't. And I might consider taking Almirón off, moving Gordon right, bringing Wilson on and playing Isak left. Might give us a bit more threat. 

We really need Joe's size and combativeness, so he needs to step things up a bit. Barnes in for Gordon at 60 minutes, let's see what that can do. 

Ultimately it's all likely to be for naught.

2 minutes ago, Shak said:

Christ, always forget how boring Man City are. I mean, you have to respect the way they pull it off because it's so hard to do... but fuck me is it dull :lol:

They have to be in some games. It will be games like us and Liverpool in the past where they have to be like this, and get that win. It’s those wins that will win you the league. It’s why Arsenal never won the league last season. They are great going at teams and ripping teams they should rip apart, but when a team with a bit of ability came along, or something to fight for, like Forest towards the end of the season, they struggled.

They had a spell where they looked like scoring and that’s what happened. We’ve been pretty well disciplined and it looks like we can hurt them if we relax a bit more on the ball and stick to basics.

Annoyed at those yellows. It limits us.

Keep AG on for a while though.. he’s the only one who can cope with their pace on our left side.