Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

You all watched Peep Show aye? Can you remember that scene when Jeff says to Mark "there's no threat from you pal. You could have your cock in her and you still wouldn't have the balls to fuck"?

Anyway, we've had a couple of matches where that's come to mind. The league cup final and tonight.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We lack players that can receive the ball between the lines, keep it and progress it. Man City are ridden with them. Isak can do it, Bruno can do it and probably Tonali can do it. But only them, hence why all of our attacks go via wide areas.

Given we're probably done for the window that'll be sorted next summer with getting a top RW. And that's okay, but it is an issue we need sorting.

Kind of, I think we lack people who can do that under extreme pressure. But against most opponents we can counter well. 

I don’t think we will transition to possession football so it’ll always be a balance between technique and other attributes. 

Aye, difficult for Bruno to do much going forward with Isak heavily marked. There really wasn’t any options there bar Miggy up the left, but did what he could to make his presence known. Again, this is why I want Anderson to start as he just offers more in attack. Joelinton was never in the game. I don’t think it’s a bad thing if both Joelinton and Gordon lose their place to barnes and Anderson against Liverpool as they’re always an option off the bench, but those two going by todays game, seem to offer more in attack. 

Edited by Geordie Boyo

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I might be on the minority here, but it feels like Bruno is getting a rough reception on here. He was everywhere, constantly showing for the ball, recycling possession and arguably the only midfielder trying to make something happen.

Tonali certainly didn't hide or do much wrong, but I thought Bruno had a good game.

Bruno was really good today. Most of our good play started with him initiating things.

Think we just needed a different approach overall. More direct.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Kind of, I think we lack people who can do that under extreme pressure. But against most opponents we can counter well. 

I don’t think we will transition to possession football so it’ll always be a balance between technique and other attributes. 

Aye, under pressure is what I mean. We won't move to a possession based football out of choice, we're currently like 2017 Liverpool in terms of playstyle but lesser opposition will likely dictate that to us. But we do lack those players. Isak is one, Bruno is one, Tonali potentially is one but I need to watch more of him.

Seeing attacks of ours break down because of that lack tonight is infuriating. 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

I wonder why they took tonali off for? He started to drop into good areas and was pinging good balls into Wilson etc he seemed to adapt to the situation and get himself into the game. 

I think him and Gordon were taken off with the Liverpool game in mind.

Taken off before the second yellow.

3 minutes ago, madras said:

No talk of the possible pen not even looked at for the non existent offside on the post match BS.

I thought the lack of replay for the Akanji on Schar tackle was a bit odf as well. Although Schar also made nothing of it.

It seemed slightly late challenges were given as yellows for us. Seemed wierd the tonali yellow was a slight nudge even Gordon's yellow he catches him but didn't need dias rolling about like he'd been chivved 

Just now, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

If this was a two legged champions league tie, what would people think? 

I'd be quite happy.

It isn't though.

Edited by madras

Can't fault the effort today but really needed some calm and composure in the key moments

I know I am being super critical here but I also felt the goal could have been saved

These aren't as annoying as Man United or Liverpool I'll give you that but their fans are still rather annoying so they and their bazillion financial misconduct accusations of a club can do one too.

Edited by Amir_9