Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

I agree when people go OTT, but Almiron and Longstaff were poor tonight. Especially the latter when he came on.

Maybe so. Don't fully agree that Miggy was poor besides his decision making in one or two situations, but it's better ways to put it than the way some on here did tonight. If you're that bad at controlling your emotions during a game maybe you should stay off the internet until a certain amout of time after the game has passed. All of those players are a big reason why we are in the position we are in today and deserve nothing but respect from the fans.

Heightened expectations based on DeBruyne/Bernardo missing, our opening game being a big win with high energy etc, truth is I'll be surprised if City lose once at home this season, I honestly feel they could have gone down to 10 men tonight and still controlled the game. We lacked our usual character, and didn't give them the game many of us were imagining. 

Time to move on to the next one, and hope we raise our levels.

2 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

This is a game where ASM would have been useful.

Really not sure about that. Can’t see how it would have made a blind bit of difference to the result tbh

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

City's players are all pretty press resistant, with their keeper being ridiculously good at passing. They were pretty exceptional with the ball tonight unfortunately for us

Pope's 31. I'll bet the search is on for his successor and he'll be great with his feet.

2 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

I thought Bruno was pretty terrible. 

Almiron was quality I thought, but I agree Botman and Schar were imperious. 

Mad how many millions of miles they are ahead of any other CB pairing I've seen in my lifetime. Both class acts. 

Howe won't be happy with that at all. Man City were better than us, no doubt, but goal aside offered little, cruised through the match and we never looked like us from the first second. We had opportunities and pussied out for whatever reason. The players are human, it happens, it's something to learn from, but where was the fearlessness we know this team for? 

Fair play to Man City, they're treble winners for a reason, but I think their reputation won the match tonight. A no fucks given team beats them tonight, and I think Sevilla had a bit of the same rabbit in the headlights that we did mentally. 

Pope: 5

Trippier: 7

Schär: 9

Botman: 9

Burn: 6

Bruno: 5.5

Joelinton: 4.5

Tonali: 6

Gordon: 5.5

Isak: 6

Almiron: 4 (feel bad giving that because it's not that he ever hid, but on the ball he sucked)

Barnes: 6.5

Wilson: 5

Anderson: 7

Edited by Kid Icarus

Foden was mint like. They are really good in the transitions. The Wilson moment was our big chance. Hard game.

All about next 5 games: Liverpool, Brighton, Brentford, Sheffield United and Burnley. Be happy with 4 wins from 5. Obviously 10 points is solid too.

1 minute ago, AJ9 said:

Really not sure about that. Can’t see how it would have made a blind bit of difference to the result tbh

Would have kept Walker a bit closer to home, imo.

Just now, Conjo said:

Maybe so. Don't fully agree that Miggy was poor besides his decision making in one or two situations, but it's better ways to put it than the way some on here did tonight. If you're that bad at controlling your emotions during a game maybe you should stay off the internet until a certain amout of time after the game has passed. All of those players are a big reason why we are in the position we are in today and deserve nothing but respect from the fans.

I agree but there comes a point when they need upgrading. The finest of margins matter in games against opposition of Man City's calibre and similar and Almiron doesn't face up to it, he's too one footed and his decision making in build up is mostly poor. 5 PL assists in 146 appearances is one such stat that shows that.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Howe won't be happy with that at all. Man City were better than us, no doubt, but goal aside offered little, cruised through the match and we never looked like us from the first second. We had opportunities and pussied out for whatever reason. The players are human, it happens, it's something to learn from, but where was the fearlessness we know this team for? 

Fair play to Man City, they're treble winners for a reason, but I think their reputation won the match tonight. A no fucks given team beats them tonight, and I think Sevilla had a bit of the same rabbit in the headlights that we did mentally. 

Pope: 5

Trippier: 7

Schär: 9

Botman: 9

Burn: 6

Bruno: 5.5

Joelinton: 4.5

Tonali: 6

Gordon: 5.5

Isak: 6

Almiron: 4 (feel bad giving that because it's not that he ever hid, but on the ball he sucked)

Barnes: 6.5

Wilson: 5

Anderson: 7

Only player that tried to make something happen in the City half :lol:.

Vast majority of our attacks only happening because of Almiron made space for himself.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Mad how many millions of miles they are ahead of any other CB pairing I've seen in my lifetime. Both class acts. 

Botman is basically what people think Van Dijk is. 

There's no shame in losing away to City 1-0 from a superb strike.

We just need time for the midfield to gel with Toanli in there.

Tbh we were just totally outclassed, but so is every other team on the planet when City play well.

4 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I can rarely come into the match threads now while the game is on due to some of the wild takes there are at times 

Barnes starts for me. Simply offers more in potentially scoring and with assists.

Longstaff - you come on and show such lack-less effort lad you can fuck off. Take a look at Anderson and the drive he had. And on that note Anderson starts. 

Miggy did run his socks off and was one of very, very few who found space to create chances - does Murphy get a start against Liverpool. I’d be happy with either miggy or Murphy to be honest as they both can score and create chances. 

defensively we were solid today. Back to why those four were the best in the league defensively last season. Botman is outstanding. Schar a class act and both Burn and Trippier did a job too despite the criticism Burn gets from time to time. 

We have to be more clinical with our chances. That’s the bottom line for me as arguably despite being dominated, we could have walked away with a point at the very least.