Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

Think we all thought we were in today after the sending off. Never seen a sending off celebrated so much? but we just seemed very flat after. Crowd after half time changed too, wasn’t as vocal. 

Miggy played okay for me, on a good day would have have a few goals, unfortunately that wasn’t today. Today really did highlight his limitations though. If we had another Gordon type on the right, we would have absolutely murdered them. Although he didn’t show much today, I’d like to see how Barnes does on the right.

Standing section was absolutely roaring first half, big contrast to where I sat in the Leazes for Villa. Could feel the nerves creeping in from 50/60 mins though.

Shit subs were partially to blame for the loss yeah, but on a luckier day we would have been playing against 9 men and probably 4/5-0 up. Heard a stat that today was the most saves Alisson has ever made for Liverpool. Says a lot on our part.

Horror show today. Even against 10 men we had no offensive teamplay, our only chances came through individual runs by Gordon and Almiron. So weird to see after that first Villa game. 

Just one game so dont want to overreact, but why did it have to be against those motherfuckers.. Infuriating.

Never a good idea reacting after a result like that but fucking here goes.

Thought Tonali, Gordon and Joelinton we’re outstanding. Which makes the subs even more baffling for me, lost all control and composure and Tonali especially should have stayed on the pitch.

The biggest standout and what a lot of people said in the summer we lack creativity. It just hasn’t been addressed for me and I don’t care what the stats say Harvey Barnes isn’t an upgrade and wasn’t a priority.

Hate the scouse cunts but only ourselves to blame today absolutely self destructed.

5 hours ago, KaKa said:

Don't think the players were good enough today at all.

Not a managerial issue today for me. Regardless of the defensive approach, we did not execute in that regard or in finishing off the game with a man advantage.

We just didn't do in the second half what we did in the first - attack down the left.  Gordon was just on fire.  In the second half soo many times Gordon was free, calling for the ball, and it didn't come, the same happened when Barnes came on. 

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Never a good idea reacting after a result like that but fucking here goes.

Thought Tonali, Gordon and Joelinton we’re outstanding. Which makes the subs even more baffling for me, lost all control and composure and Tonali especially should have stayed on the pitch.

The biggest standout and what a lot of people said in the summer we lack creativity. It just hasn’t been addressed for me and I don’t care what the stats say Harvey Barnes isn’t an upgrade and wasn’t a priority.

Hate the scouse cunts but only ourselves to blame today absolutely self destructed.

I get what you are saying but on another day and better build up play Barnes comes on and kills that game. He's probably the ultimate weapon against trent let alone 10 man and trent. 

4 minutes ago, TRC said:

I get what you are saying but on another day and better build up play Barnes comes on and kills that game. He's probably the ultimate weapon against trent let alone 10 man and trent. 

I hope you’re right and the stats support what you’re saying, but I’ll be brutally honest and say I though he looked weak as piss when he came on today and very timid.

Jury is out for me with Barnes, however I thought Gordon was brilliant and looks a real player on the positive side.

Edited by Whitley mag

It wasn't the reason we lost tbf.  Longstaff did alight - maybe I am in the minority but I thought Sandro started to give the ball away cheaply in the 2nd half.  So could understand Eddie bringing on fresh legs.

Edited by duo

3 minutes ago, duo said:

It wasn't the reason we lost tbf.  Longstaff did alight - maybe I am in the minority but I thought Sandro started to give the ball away cheaply in the 2nd half.  So could understand Eddie bringing on fresh legs.

He definitely was losing the ball quite cheaply for a spell. He didn't look tired though and his positioning was still great - felt like if we'd have persevered then he'd have got a second wind.

A sucker punch at the end and was absolutely sickening, but I always look back on Southampton at home, which co-incidentally was exactly 2 years ago today, 28th Aug 2021 - a 91st minute apparent winner by ASM, followed by an even later stoppage time equaliser from JWP, ending 2-2, and not an ounce of emotion on either goal, well actually I laughed at the equaliser, fast-forward two years and it really is great to care so much again, even if it did feel like a gut punch.

I wish we could have ASM to sub in and knock out TAA. That’s exactly the difference we need to unlock a tight defence. Barnes is not that type of player.

We all know what we did wrong, hence why we are that furious - we throw away three points ourselves.

That first goal they scored, it bounced off Botman's heel freakishly and fell perfectly for Nunez it's not a regular occurance, really unique it just clipped off his heel perfectly for their striker.

Then, it was a PERFECT finish from an amazing player.

After that happened anything happens.

This could be a huge blessing is disguise, early in the season, Eddie will take a lot from this.

If that ball lands on the side of Botman's heel and goes off a bit in the other direction, none of this happens.

24 minutes ago, Zero said:

I wish we could have ASM to sub in and knock out TAA. That’s exactly the difference we need to unlock a tight defence. Barnes is not that type of player.

We all know what we did wrong, hence why we are that furious - we throw away three points ourselves.

I disagree, we need to ween ourselves off Saint Max, his output was abysmal, he'd run at them then fuck up the pass or pass it back or lose possession