Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

That plus some of our non-new fans seem to have forgotten how to take defeats at a growing club perhaps too.

Which is why I'm not vexxed. Been kicked in the balls that much like this but not always with the knowledge were going places and getting better all the time.

Third home game of 96/97 we lost 2-1 to Sheffield Wed for a second defeat (to two shit teams) in three games. Finished 2nd. No cause for bed wetting then much less now pisser though it is.

So it cost us the league? Canny.

4 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

As an outsider looking in, I’m gutted for you’re manager and fan base but you cannot lose the game playing against 10 men, draw yes but lose no chance, especially at home.

Were not you guys. Shit still happens to the rest of us.

We lost to ten at home to Arsenal under Keegan. A year later we were beating Barcelona in the Champions League and they were getting turned over by some Greek team in the UEFA cup. Shit happens but can also work out thereafter.

10 minutes ago, GlenMag said:

At least all our new supporters know now what it's like to be a Newcastle fan.

I think we'd have won that game if it stayed 11v11

Maybe we can just have a dedicated 'wanker pen' where all the cunts just film shit for 90 mins 

5 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

So it cost us the league? Canny.

No.

Finished 7points behind.

Dropped points in another 19 games.

bed wetters could have filled their boots that season, then have the temerity to celebrate being in the CL by the end.

Plus were not going for the league this season.  Then we were. And there was less bed wetting.

Edited by Wolfcastle

18 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

The problem was we played the whole game with 10 men. Isak was non existent.

Thought other than pinging the ball out of play trying to find Gordon in the first half he was tidy today but it was like he became redundant after VVD got sent off. Liverpool sat deep so there was no chance to put the ball in behind and we almost refused to put the ball into the box for him. Noticed him dropping short to look for a pass a few times but anything resembling a risky pass into central areas we shied away from. There was one moment in the 2nd half that stood out where Trippier had loads of space to put a cross in and Isak was in a good position between the Centre halves, Trippier just turned back and recycled the ball into midfield.

Wilson frustrated me more with 2 needless naive efforts on goal when we'd good numbers in the box and the opportunity to keep the ball alive.

7 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

That plus some of our non-new fans seem to have forgotten how to take defeats at a growing club perhaps too.

Which is why I'm not vexxed. Been kicked in the balls that much like this but not always with the knowledge were going places and getting better all the time.

Third home game of 96/97 we lost 2-1 to Sheffield Wed for a second defeat (to two shit teams) in three games. Finished 2nd. No cause for bed wetting then much less now, pisser though it is.

This has genuinely made me feel better. It was a real gut punch but I saw it coming half way through the second half. We were way too slow in build up and seemed almost like we had won the game already. Some mistakes for the goals, although Botman's was more just bad luck than skill. Credit to that twat Klopp. He played a blinder and Nunez produced a masterclass on finishing.

It was nice seeing movements of Bruno involved in our attack playing higher up the pitch. We brought Tonali in and he can play anywhere across that midfield to be honest. It does look strange that we don’t really have a number 6 in there. 

Wilson                    

Isak  Anderson  Gordon

Tonali   Bruno  

Hall Botman Schar Tripps

Pope

Centre forward leading at the top with support in attack from Isak, Anderson and Gordon, who has played in that position before . Tonali and Bruno playing across the midfield and all those in attack are able to muck in if needed, particularly Anderson and Gordon. 

Desperate to see Hall start as I do think he’ll offer just about every attribute needed in that role and more. That’s 4 changes, but positive ones. Will that happen. No, but it’s shows what we do have and I would really like to see Anderson be given a shot along with a natural sticker in the game too. 

This just strengthens my campaign to bring back the traditional 10 in the modern era. Get me a slow, flashy guy who has a wand of a left foot to just pick defence splitting passes, and get the rest to do the work around him. Isak will bag 20 plus. Easy. 

2 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

It was nice seeing movements of Bruno involved in our attack playing higher up the pitch. We brought Tonali in and he can play anywhere across that midfield to be honest. It does look strange that we don’t really have a number 6 in there. 

Wilson                    

Isak  Anderson  Gordon

Tonali   Bruno  

Hall Botman Schar Tripps

Pope

Centre forward leading at the top with support in attack from Isak, Anderson and Gordon, who has played in that position before . Tonali and Bruno playing across the midfield and all those in attack are able to muck in if needed, particularly Anderson and Gordon. 

Desperate to see Hall start as I do think he’ll offer just about every attribute needed in that role and more. That’s 4 changes, but positive ones. Will that happen. No, but it’s shows what we do have and I would really like to see Anderson be given a shot along with a natural sticker in the game too. 

Isak is completely wasted wide left 

1 hour ago, ScottishMagpie said:

Sorry, hope this doesn't come across as aggressive or anything but "long way to go still" from what exactly?   

Comfortably dominating at team at home for 30mins, being 1-0 up and having them reduced to 10 men and not being able to win the match after 90mins?

Yup that and the mentality needed. Feeling similar to Keegan if I’m honest, I hope Howe can do it. But imo he needs time and a few more windows to rid all players not good enough, we can’t have three or four of those on the pitch at the same time like we did today. 

8 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Fucking fat little worm :rant:

I hate that cunt, he's a god awful pundit as well so don't know how he gets any TV work.

Edited by pubteam

26 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We created enough chances to kill the game.

We didn't - Keeper hardly had to make any saves. That was our problem.  Second half we just didn't target the left as we had done in the first and kept trying to play it through the lines. So many times first Gordon, then Barnes just not getting the ball.

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Isak is completely wasted wide left 

It’s trying to include a midfielder with strength and pace who can link-up in attack in Anderson, but also trying not to sacrifice Isak who can play there, obviously different to how Barnes or Gordon would do. Otherwise it’s dropping Isak and playing Barnes there. The right for me is either starting Murphy or playing someone else there. Murphy arguably should be given a start there. In which that would be Gordon back on the left.

Wilson

Gordon Anderson Murphy

Tonali      Bruno

Hall Botman   Schar Tripps

Pope

Edited by Geordie Boyo

11 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Perhaps harsh to say given the opposition, but Longstaff has looked really uncomfortable coming off the bench, ineffectual today and against City, actually detrimental.

I wonder if he’s a player who needs to start to actually get to grips with the game rhythm.

He’s just not that good.