Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Saw this and found it interesting, do think that switching our wingers to be non inverted might’ve helped yesterday.

I don't think it's as genius as was made out as this was basically our plan against Liverpool when Pope was sent off, iirc, but it's just spot on generally.

Didn't stretch them out of their shape enough, didn't get Isak involved enough, didn't have enough quality in key moments.

Aye it was gutting yesterday, I agree with what some have said about the substitutions, but then again there may have been fatigue, etc issues that were a factor. We throw away a 1 goal lead and got beat off 10 men, when that happens the manager will get criticed and that is fair enough.

However Eddie is a good manager none the less.

A few of the lads just look a bit out of form, doesn't make them bad players.

It's just one of those days where you've got to just take it on the chin.

Onwards and upwards. HWTL.

I usually get over defeats pretty quickly, but that took a bit longer to shake because of the opposition and the manner of the defeat. Not been that rattled since we lost at Anfield.

I'm over it now, on we move. Plenty of positives to take from yesterday though.

Our build up from the back was very good.

Botman is going to be an all time great PL CB.

After settling down we were bossing the game with 11 v 11.

Trippier looked back to his best.

Bruno was decent up until his error for the second.

Tonali was very good for the most part. 

Gordon was excellent and is starting to develop a handy relationship with Joelinton. 

Edited by The Prophet

From what Eddie has said I get the feeling some of the players on the pitch might have unintentionally become inhabited. 

Eddie has said he wanted to go for a 2nd goal which was undoubtedly the right thing to do. Somewhere along the line the way to do this got lost out on the pitch. I’m pretty sure if we’d have playing against the same 10 players and have called them say Fulham/ insert the name of another non top 4 side, we’d have managed the game far better.

Strange as it is, that loss hurt more than the League Cup final for me. The loss in the final was absolute classic Ncle, yesterday’s loss was self inflicted.

37 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I don't think it's as genius as was made out as this was basically our plan against Liverpool when Pope was sent off, iirc, but it's just spot on generally.

Didn't stretch them out of their shape enough, didn't get Isak involved enough, didn't have enough quality in key moments.

:thup: Exactly what I thought while watching it, we definitely went 432 with Isak and ASM up front. 

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

From what Eddie has said I get the feeling some of the players on the pitch might have unintentionally become inhabited. 

Eddie has said he wanted to go for a 2nd goal which was undoubtedly the right thing to do. Somewhere along the line the way to do this got lost out on the pitch. I’m pretty sure if we’d have playing against the same 10 players and have called them say Fulham/ insert the name of another non top 4 side, we’d have managed the game far better.

Strange as it is, that loss hurt more than the League Cup final for me. The loss in the final was absolute classic Ncle, yesterday’s loss was self inflicted.

Inhibited? Yeah you’re right, that’s why I mentioned yesterday about the mental leap we might need to make to put the so-called big teams away.

Natural given where we are in our development, but still a pain. 

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Howe said we were aware of their threat on the break and we definitely played like it. I still think we played the first 10 mins of the second half well enough; settled things down, kept possession, got into good positions on a few occasions which led to promising openings. We had their plan worked out and them penned in - this was the time to start upping the tempo.

On the watch back, it was noticeable how much we went for the safe option until they scored. We had many chances to slip a ball in between the lines through the middle, play a quick one around the corner, make a switch, or whip a cross in earlier... but we didn't. It seems like we tried to be like a Pep/RDZ team by taking the ball a bit deeper and passing between defenders until we drew them out but they rarely took the bait. The amount of times we just played it backwards instead was very, very noticeable. I didn't clock it at the time but Trippier was potentially the worst offender for it when he'd moved back out onto the touchline - at least 4 occasions to keep good moves building and he chose to put his foot on the ball and go backwards. Schar was also weirdly conservative; one diagnoal attempt and no real carrying out. Tonali didn't do enough of what Longstaff is really underrated at which is get into that half space on the right when it was absolutely there to attack.

Gordon was so much more positive with his touches than anyone else. 

Maybe I'll be over this one tomorrow :sad:

11 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Saw this and found it interesting, do think that switching our wingers to be non inverted might’ve helped yesterday.

Came in to post this.

It’s possibly some of Clery’s finest work and does a great job of explaining what Howe’s next step is in evolving the team. 

We can’t rely solely on wide players to offer width, especially when we know the opponent intends to sit deep.

It’s one thing for the two 8’s to drift out wide and create triangles (Bruno is class at this), we also need our fullbacks to offer varied support.

The good news is; I think Howe knew this and that’s why we’ve pushed hard for two young fullbacks that like to get forward and contribute in the final third.

It would have been a bold move, but if you drop Lewis Hall in there for Burn at half time or on the hour mark and let Trippier sit as part of the three man defence instead of Burn I think you get that second goal. 

3 minutes ago, Viana said:

Came in to post this.

It’s possibly some of Clery’s finest work and does a great job of explaining what Howe’s next step is in evolving the team. 

We can’t rely solely on wide players to offer width, especially when we know the opponent intends to sit deep.

It’s one thing for the two 8’s to drift out wide and create triangles (Bruno is class at this), we also need our fullbacks to offer varied support.

The good news is; I think Howe knew this and that’s why we’ve pushed hard for two young fullbacks that like to get forward and contribute in the final third.

It would have been a bold move, but if you drop Lewis Hall in there for Burn at half time or on the hour mark and let Trippier sit as part of the three man defence instead of Burn I think you get that second goal. 

Yeah, I like this. Full backs can play a big part if we're trying to break down a packed defence, which at the moment is difficult. Eddie tries to play an attacking game, and really needs his two full backs to support the attack.

Made the mistake of looking at the comments on our Instagram posts for the game, holy shit.

Lot of weird nufc fans going in hard on EH and a LOT of foreign LFC fans ribbing :lol:

If becoming a bigger club means getting these weird cling ons who basically shag players wherever they go and just spew abuse on social media, I think I might want to get off this ride at some point:anguish:

2 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Made the mistake of looking at the comments on our Instagram posts for the game, holy shit.

Lot of weird nufc fans going in hard on EH and a LOT of foreign LFC fans ribbing :lol:

If becoming a bigger club means getting these weird cling ons who basically shag players wherever they go and just spew abuse on social media, I think I might want to get off this ride at some point:anguish:

You've just described here

1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

You've just described here

I feel NO is fairly good at filtering out the weirdos.

Some of them play a fine line, but the incessant weirdos get the boot eventually.

3 minutes ago, NE27 said:

You could also just not be daft enough to look at those social media comments 🤷🏻‍♂️ I mean it’s not like we've had a decade of comments sections being full of rampant incel misogyny, racism and other such utter fuckwits to give us a heads up to give them a solid swerve

Just now, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

You could also just not be daft enough to look at those social media comments 🤷🏻‍♂️ I mean it’s not like we've had a decade of comments sections being full of rampant incel misogyny, racism and other such utter fuckwits to give us a heads up to give them a solid swerve

Very true.

But I'm only just coming out of my self imposed football ban after the game and was just browsing insta. Curiosity got the better of me and I got my fingers burnt, again.

Lack of faith in humanity well and truly restored.