Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Holmesy said:

I know we’re not suppose to criticise the manager on here but I think he has to take a lot of the blame for this. We came out after half time with no drive, no aggression, no determination to finish the game off and nothing of his demeanour on the touch line suggested he wasn’t happy with the approach. We’ve just gifted Liverpool 3 points they didn’t deserve because we were cowards. Really shit from Howe!

Given our play style is based entirely around high energy I can not imagine he sent them out there and asked them to serve that up. 

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

I know we’re not suppose to criticise the manager on here but I think he has to take a lot of the blame for this. We came out after half time with no drive, no aggression, no determination to finish the game off and nothing of his demeanour on the touch line suggested he wasn’t happy with the approach. We’ve just gifted Liverpool 3 points they didn’t deserve because we were cowards. Really shit from Howe!

Yup - really poor from him today, and last week. Same as the cup final, home to arsenal, Leicester match etc - there’s an evident and clear trend of them bottling the big occasion and not knowing how to step up. That was a concession, not a defeat. 

10 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Against teams with a decent press/ closing down, our passing just doesn't hold up.

I feel like Tonali and Bruno are the only players (except defenders) who are actually good at passing. We saw that last season aswell, our pass % was pretty low compared to many teams. Probably partly because of our direct style though to be fair. Don't want to start blaming individuals too much, but players like big Joe, Longstaff and Almiron are not exactly playmakers.

Edited by Erikse

This is the first time under Howe I'm genuinely baffled by every decision he's made and I think he's cost us that game by over-thinking. 

We had them, we absolutely had them and he takes off Anthony Gordon and Sandro Tonali for absolutely no good reason. The first 30-35 minutes we kept it even and had the better of it. Then after the red card we just forgot where the gas pedal was. 

Sorry like, but need an absolute barnstorming performance against Brighton now to eradicate that. 

A result completely of our own making. How fucking naive can you be to rest on a 1-0 against Liverpool like that? Were our players born yesterday? It was obvious that they'd definitely get a chance, in the end they had 3 and scored 2. Absolutely baffling lack of game management to do that.

Drawing would have been bad enough, but to completely throw it away like that with a goal and man advantage is unbelievable from a team that has never played in that way at any point since Howe became manager. When do we ever just knock it about like that and not go for the kill? Just completely out of the ordinary, weird and stupid.

Pope: 6

Trippier: 7.5

Botman: 6

Schär: 6

Burn: 6

Joelinton: 7.5

Bruno: 5

Tonali: 7

Gordon: 8

Isak: 5.5

Almiron: 6

Edited by Kid Icarus

That was Bruce-esque. Surrendering a goal, let alone two, against 10 men was fucking embarrassing. 

We played against 10 men for 70 mins and asides from Almiron off the post we never looked like scoring. Our attack seems absolutely toothless, always making the wrong decision in the final 3rd.

As the game went on, knew the cunts would score, but the fact that they have fucking won is a disgrace.

Howe got it completely wrong with the subs and made us weaker for it. Although a lot of the players were awful, taking Gordon/Tonali off lost us the game. 

From what started as a promising season, now looks very worrying, Howe under serious pressure now.

Edited by Andybiotics

So fucking sickening. How did we lose this bastard game? Will it motivate us to do better in future games? I'd like to think so... but I dunno... 

We're not a bad team overnight but we REALLY need to be more ruthless. We looked complacent out there. And we paid for it big time. 

Ugh... I need a drink! 

70-80% good and 20-30% absolute disaster + flashes of true quality from Nunez that decided what should have been an easy match. It would be nice to see Nunez do it against someone else and not just us.

This one's going to hurt. Stay off social media.

No FFP and I think we win this match. We came close and could have won anyway with better game management, but we came up just one body short. Stronger in just one position and we get a second.